SH Spotlight RAY CHARLES ABC-Paramount "Modern Sounds In Country & Western Music" cutting history, 1962 to 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

ABC-Paramount had a deal with Bell Sound in NYC in the 1950s and 60s. Bell took care of ABC's mastering and bookeeping needs, stored their tape library and did the messy paperwork involving pressing plants, inventory, etc.

I've stored copies of this information for 30 years (not sure why). Today I'm trashing a lot of paper files. Before I do that, I'm recopying it here in case anyone cares.

The Ray Charles ABC-Paramount LP of "Modern Sounds In Country & Western Music sold a lot of copies. It was a surprise hit. I have here all of the original cutting dates, including recuts for the stereo and mono versions of the LP. If you have one, check and see when YOUR LP or 45 release on ABC was actually mastered for vinyl at BELL SOUND.

BELL SOUND cutting notes:

Side one/STEREO VERSION:
    ABCS 410a (no dash number)
    2/9/62 LONGWEAR and 2/23/62, same number, same EQ
    ABCS 410a-1
    3/5/62 LONGWEAR
    ABCS 410a-3
    3/23/65 LONGWEAR
    ABCS 410a-4
    3/4/66 LONGWEAR
    ABCS 410a-5
    10/25/67 MONARCH
    ABCS 410a-6
    2/13/68 LONGWEAR

Side two:
    ABCS 410b (no dash number)
    2/9/62 LONGWEAR and 2/23/62, same number, same EQ
    ABCS 410b-1
    3/5/62 LONGWEAR
    ABCS 410b-3
    3/23/65 LONGWEAR
    ABCS 410b-4
    3/4/66 LONGWEAR
    ABCS 410b-5
    10/25/67 MONARCH
    ABCS 410b-6
    2/13/68 LONGWEAR

Note, LONGWEAR is a pressing plant, used by ABC almost always. Monarch was the exception..
    I find it interesting (and good) that both sides were recut when a new part was needed. This keeps all of the issues even, sound-wise. The sad thing is that I'm sure BELL SOUND did this for extra billing, and nothing to do with sound quality between sides. Still, a win for the Hi-Fi team..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

BELL SOUND MONO LP cutting notes: Note the different numbering: the "1" dash is the FIRST CUTTING. On the stereo, the first cutting had no dash number..

Side one/MONO VERSION:
    ABC 410A-1
    2/19/62 to LONGWEAR
    ABC 410A-2
    2/28/62 to LONGWEAR
    ABC 410A-3
    4/17/62 to LONGWEAR
    ABC 410A-4
    4/24/62 to PLASTIC PROD.
    ABC 410A-5
    6/6/62 to PLASTIC PROD.
    ABC 410A-6
    6/22/62 to LONGWEAR
    ABC 410A-7
    8/23/62 to LONGWEAR
    ABC 410A-8
    3/24/65 to LONGWEAR
    ABC 410A-9
    3/1/66 to LONGWEAR
    End of mono era.

Side two/MONO VERSION:
    ABC 410B-1
    2/19/62 to LONGWEAR
    ABC 410B-2
    2/28/62 to LONGWEAR
    ABC 410B-3
    4/17/62 to LONGWEAR
    ABC 410B-4
    4/24/62 to PLASTIC PROD.
    ABC 410B-5
    6/6/62 to PLASTIC PROD.
    ABC 410B-6
    6/22/62 to LONGWEAR
    ABC 410B-7
    8/23/62 to LONGWEAR
    ABC 410B-8
    3/24/65 to LONGWEAR
    ABC 410B-9
    3/1/66 to LONGWEAR
    End of mono era.

Note the amazing number of recuts of the mono LP in 1962, more copies sold than the stereo issue. This was a giant hit album.

I have the pressing information for the two singles released from this album:

BORN TO LOSE/I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU (EDITED) ABC-10330
    1A, 1B, 1C
    4/18/62 LONGWEAR
    1D, PLASTIC PROD.,
    1E, 1F MONARCH All same date.
    1G, 1H
    4/19/62, PLASTIC PROD. Same EQ, protection lacquers for parts

YOU DON'T KNOW ME/CARELESS LOVE (EDITED) ABC-10345
    6/15/62:
    1A LONGWEAR, 1B PLASTIC PROD., 1C MONARCH.
    6/18/62:
    2A LONGWEAR, 2B PLASTIC PROD., 2C MONARCH

I have NO information on any "stereo 45" cuttings done for this album (if there were any)..

There ya go, now I can clean house a bit..

2. Steve Hoffman

I have this same information for most (not all) of the other RAY CHARLES ABC-Paramount albums (and some 45's) if anyone is interested..

Also release dates, etc.

3. Gary C

Gary C Forum Resident

FYI: I have a WLP version of the mono lp with "ABC410A" with three dots under the A and no "-#" following it. The only other marks are the Bell Sound stamp and "LW." The B side, is marked "ABC410B with three dots under the B and a "- IV -4" etched very lightly (in a different hand) before the Bell Sound stamp and "LW." Would this have been a different cutting, or do you think they just added in the "-1" later?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Not into the technical aspects of these classic recordings but I love this album. And Volume 2 may even be better.

ruben lopez likes this.
  5. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

I’m sure there’s collectors out there who would like to have these papers, consider offering them for sale before trashing them.

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I love how Ray owned his ABC-Paramount 'Masters', kind of unheard of at the time.
    I wonder who else owned theirs before Ray?

MungoMusic and The Killer like this.
  7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Which East Coast plants would have had the Longwear stampers from the lacquers in question? I know two different printers - Queens Litho/Kaltman Press and Co-Service Printing - handled label copy for East Coast pressings (45 labels printed on 70 lb. Kromekote C1S for sure). I ask because I doubt Longwear was a pressing plant per se, but they did make stampers that were used by a host of plants up and down the East Coast.

If any other info on other big hits (whether LP or 45) in terms of their "paper trail" are "recopied," I for one would definitely care about all that. Oh, would I care. I practically live for such info.

As to who did what cutting: I presume Sam Feldman did the mono LP's (on a Scully lathe in "Master #4," as told to me by another former Bell Sound engineer, Joe Brescio, in the '90's), the stereo LP's by Sol Kessler (on another Scully in "Master #1"), and the 45's by Dominick Romeo (on a Fairchild lathe in "Master #3"; having been apprised by Mr. Brescio, I can spot Mr. Romeo's handwriting on the deadwax a mile away). The monos would have been equipped with BBC Grampian Feedback cutterheads (this was also confirmed by Brescio), I reckon the stereo cutting suite had a Westrex 3B or 3C?

Incidentally, the Scully lathe in "Master #5" was where the bulk of many a Rolling Stones' single (and LP) on London was cut in the "mono era," likewise for Shangri-Las singles on Red Bird, and so forth. The other, "Master #2," had another Fairchild lathe; both that and "Master #3" were put to work to cut 45's.

SuperFuzz and AaronW like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

E021386E-7DA0-4221-AE49-D68D94376781.jpeg A8DA0250-B28F-481A-974B-6C6A66A12960.jpeg 99A18FE7-B3E3-4DBF-8726-56C5CE69F71A.jpeg
    Papers? Just my chicken scratch usually. I copied this in longhand with Ray waiting impatiently.

I typed some stuff over as well.

9. Steve Hoffman

What is WLP?

10. Gary C

Gary C Forum Resident

Sorry, white label promo...

McLover likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

There was no promo of this album until April of 1962 when it was serviced to radio. So, dunno!

Gary C likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Ray was one of the first. Nat Cole, etc. followed his lead..

13. Steve Hoffman

Question, is your LP cover normal looking? Any sticker, etc. on it? Still trying to figure it out. Could be a test cut that wasn't put on file..

14. Steve Hoffman

Long Wear Stamper Corp.
    36-41 36th St.
    Long Island City, N.Y. 11106

After LONGWEAR my trail goes cold. I never saw any pressing plant info so I have no idea. I thought at one time that LONGWEAR pressed the records but obviously that couldn't have serviced the entire country even if they did.

Sam Feldman's initials on the original paperwork for the mono, yes. S.F.
    Sol Kessler, possibly. You would know more than I but I will say that both the mono and the stereo LPs sound very nice, with just a little EQ dodging during cutting. A light touch for such a "heavy touch era."

The 45's, I thought (according to Ray) were cut by a special guy who knew how to make a loud record without screwing up the sound. Could be your 45 guy mentioned above, can't remember. Was back in 1992 that we talked about it!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  15. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Plastic Products of Memphis pressed ABC-Paramount product for the southern region, Monarch for the West Coast (with label fonts from Alco Research). Quite a few East Coast plants pressed for ABC-Paramount then: Clarion Record Mfg. of Philadelphia, Specialty Records Corp. of Olyphant, PA (even then), Sun Plastics and Dynamic LP Stereo Pressing of East Newark, NJ (this from 5th and 15th anniversary celebrations in respective editions of Billboard) . . . I suppose by then Keel Mfg. had begun to do the occasional pressing for them . . . Bell Sound lacquers destined for the other plants would have been shipped thereto (i.e. Plastic and Monarch).

But the "special guy" in question would indeed have been Mr. Romeo. Again, per Joe Brescio.

McLover likes this.
  16. Gary C

Gary C Forum Resident

No, the cover doesn't have any stickers or promo markings - just a nice front-laminated cover. I did find this listing on discogs for a similar pressing.

Ray Charles - Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music

Chris Gerhard likes this.
  17. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Steve, love this thread. And this is a favorite Ray Charles LP of mine, I've loved it all my life. And played it many, many times. Thanks for this information and the history. McLover Approved.

zebop and RSteven like this.
  19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

So which cut would you recommend, if you don't mind me asking?

20. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I can understand wanting to clear out paperwork that you haven't needed.
    However, I'm thinking that this paperwork is part of music history, and can be easily lost by those who have the original material (eg. the Universal fire).
    Could I suggest first scanning this info, so a copy is retained that won't take much computer disk space, and a safety copy of the info won't be lost.

Hamhead likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

I have NO idea! I only have one copy of the album.

kt66brooklyn and mBen989 like this.
  22. MungoMusic

MungoMusic Forum Resident

BTW, the album cover design was done by my uncle, Robert Flynn. Unfortunately, he died 50 years ago, before I was old enough to ask him questions about his work.

McLover, iggyd, majorlance and 10 others like this.
  23. Deja Doh

Deja Doh QUARANTINED

His rendition of You Don't Know Me is one of my favorite songs.

24. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I love this. I could read about this stuff all day.

zebop likes this.
  25. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Interesting story.
    I always wanted to know who did the cutting on all those mid-50's Ampar LP's like the two Lucky Thompson/Oscar Pettiford albums and "Special Delivery" by Janet Brace. None of those albums have the Bell Sound stamp on the dead wax, Did Bell do the cutting in the 50's?