Films : No one mentions any more?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Sep 5, 2020.

1. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Very true, not discussed.

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  2. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Silkwood-1983

Cher, Meryl Streep, Kurt Russell

True story of a Whistle blower at a nuclear plutonium facility investigating safety shortcuts that endanger employees.

I haven't seen this movie since the early 80s. A movie that has disappeared off the face of the earth. I have never seen this on cable TV. I don't stream much video though, it might be on one of those I don't know.

I see it has been released on DVD & Blu-ray.

3. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I tried to watch that a few times years ago, and I could never get through it. Put it on recently and quite liked it. I guess I caught up with it.

alexpop and polchik like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Severe sex and nudity in it, says IMDb trivia.
    Not seen it since it was in the cinema. Forgot all about, cept ..Garfunkel wears a tuxedo that’s all I remember.

5. That's Mr. Foghat

That's Mr. Foghat Forum Resident

jlocke08 likes this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I just roll my eyes even thinking about the plastic bag bit ....

There’s a great performance by Annette Bening, but that’s about all.

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

8. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Bad Timing is a great film with a bad reputation, mostly fostered by its own distribution company, Rank, who hated the film and tried to bury it. It is as good as any of Nic Roeg’s work from the 1970s, which is to say it is challenging, sexually charged cinema of the highest order.

The film is available on BD in the U.K. from Network:

Bad Timing [BLU-RAY]

unclefred, Lightworker and polchik like this.
  9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Frequently screened on late night television, at least in Britain. A very good film, as I recall.

10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

An excellent film that was never going to be a mainstream success, because it's hard work for the viewer and has a downbeat ending.

Its production was troubled: Art Garfunkel's g/f committed suicide while it was being made.

Otoh, I think it was on this film that Roeg met Theresa Russell.

stepeanut likes this.
  11. alexpop

Liked her in the Ken Russell film Whore.

rnenning and steelinYaThighs like this.
  12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Chariots Of Fire is still remembered in Britain, probably because it was a rare instance of a British film winning the BP Oscar. The theme song is still in heavy rotation in commercials, skits, etc, so the name of the film is always in front of the public.

Kramer vs. Kramer was acclaimed for some time after its release because it inaugurated a period where Dustin Hofmann was one of the biggest stars in the world. His career has since declined, as has his standing in the industry, post-MeToo, and many of his films are now tainted by revelations about his on-set behaviour. Tootsy is now a tooth-grinding embarrassment and Rain Man (another film that fits into this category) is rarely seen because of its questionable (and dated) portrayal of autism.

Gandhi is a dull film, however worthy it may have been.

I've only seen Ordinary People once. It made very little impression on me.

13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've never seen the film, but I love the Paul Auster novel on which it is based.

I don't think the film made any impression when it was released.

14. stepeanut

It was on mainstream U.K. television just two nights ago. I hadn’t seen it in decades. It is quite a nasty film in a lot of ways.

15. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It was an absolutely huge film in 1989-90. At the time, I remember thinking how good Tom Cruise was in a fairly thankless role - a role that would've gone for nothing in less talented hands.

16. stepeanut

I remember well. Suddenly autism was a hot topic, one many people were unaware of prior to the film’s success. But, seeing it again the other night, the film has not aged well, despite the soft ending and the odd flash of humanity along the way.

Siegmund likes this.
  17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I've heard it ad nauseum. It was a big favourite with radio stations at the time of release, and probably helped to turn me off The Waterboys and that whole bombastic "big music" sound.

18. alexpop

Found it depressing,but interesting.

19. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

It either wasn't a big favourite with radio stations here or I was too busy listening to my records, cassettes, C.D.'s & music D.V.D.s or watching D.V.D.s. I've got loads.

20. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i dont think metoo has anything to do with Dustins old films getting talked about, theyre there if people want to see them and thats the way it has been, its not like people were screaming for "Kramer vs Kramer 2 'the Divorce Years" pre metoo lol (ok that would be hard to do) or "The Return of Tootsie". very few movies or the late 70's 80's are brought up these days. On Golden Pond was showered with Oscars, no ones talking about it either , Dustin was barely hit with the metoo, its not like he was kevin spacey

21. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Indecent Exposure. Much talked about at the time, half forgotten now - perhaps because the film didn’t do anything interesting with its premise.

64FALCON likes this.
  22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Don't you mean Indecent PROPOSAL?

I'd agree. The novel on which it was based - in which the billionaire of the film is an Arab sheikh - was much more inflammatory.

23. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Like I said, half forgotten!

24. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Ed Wood

Fullbug and ssmith3046 like this.
  25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Don't agree. A flop, which wasn't widely shown when first released but which quickly became a cult film.

Still the only Johnny Depp film I've ever seen.

Fullbug, JFS3, Lightworker and 2 others like this.