Every RPM Canadian Content #1 single discussion thread 1964-2000

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bunglejerry, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

Available on SuperOldies The Best Of Eagle Records:

Shawn Nagy's Super Oldies Products & Discography CDs

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Or in the case of Johnny Ray and his first record Cry people actually thought he was black going by the label he was on(Okeh). That got dispelled and he moved to the main label.

3. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

4. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Peaking at #20 on the CanCan chart on August 23 was "Lonely Boy" by Robbie Lane. "Lonely Boy" was actually the B-side, the A-side was "Put A Tiger In Your Tank" which was a jingle for Esso, co-written and arranged by a young Doug (Dr. Music) Riley. He was also involved with the earlier "Baby Ruth" "Butterfingers hit.

[​IMG]

5. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

The next week, August 31, saw a peak of #9 for "Please Wait For Me" by Les Classels, a Quebecois group singing in English. Though they are often reviled these days, they did record a classic fuzz psych single "Perdu" in 1970 (by which time they stopped dyeing their hair.)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

John B Good likes this.
  6. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Two weeks later, another Quebecois group Les Baronets (which included the future Mr. Celine Dion) would hit #16 with "Mine All Mine". This would also get a U.S. release.

[​IMG]

John B Good likes this.
  7. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

On August 31, Al & Ina Harris would make it to #15 on the CanCon chart with "Don't Tempt Me".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    John B Good likes this.
  8. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

The latest from David Clayton Thomas and the Shays, "Out Of The Sunshine" b/w "Born With The Blues" hits #5 on September 7 (reaching #31 on the big chart).

Paul C and John B Good like this.
  9. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

We Five were managed by Frank Werber who had guided The Kingston Trio to great heights but who, at this juncture, were waaaay down. He produced this record under the umbrella of his Trident Productions entity. One reason why We Five didn't get drunk on their cover of this, Sylvia's most famous composition, was the members were "under age" (i.e. under 21) at the time.

McLover likes this.
  10. Thank you for solving that mystery! I had to learn that song for an acoustic duo I was in a few years ago. I listened to both and couldn't understand why they were so different. Too funny!

11. W.B.

It should be noted that this was not the Stu Phillips who was the West Coast-based record producer who in the early 1960's helmed Colpix Records, and in this period of time led The Hollyridge Strings.

12. W.B.

The guy at left looked almost like a cross between the late Ritchie Valens and The Kingston Trio's Bob Shane. I presume Ms. Dion's future hubby is at right?

13. I was friends with Brian Rading, the guy in the stylish yellow pants, for many years. Man, the stories he could tell about the 5 Man Electrical Band days . . . Unfortunately he is no longer with us. However, one of my best friends is 5 Man's current lead guitar player. If any questions arise about the Staccatos or 5 Man I will try to get answers from him (or Les Emmerson via my friend).

14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

And Catherine McKinnon did a cover of What Have They Done to the Rain in 1965. Think I prefer The Searchers version of this folky song.

15. John B Good

Great song. I think this sounds more like 1963 than 1965. If I had heard it in 1965 I would have liked it. I was living in Halifax then and listening a lot so I guess it didn't make waves down here.

John54 likes this.
  16. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I went to a benefit show Les Emmerson put on for my college several years back and he signed my copy of First Sparks. I don't think he had seen the final product because he was quite interested in leafing through the booklet. Really friendly guy.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    kevywevy likes this.
  17. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Forgot to say, original FMEB keyboardist Ted Gerow was there as well. Their set was made up almost entirely of classic rock/oldies covers, with the only originals being the obligatory "Signs" as well as the earlier Staccatos hit "It's A Long Way Home" (which I suspect will soon be brought up here).

kevywevy likes this.
  18. John B Good

Have never heard either of these Quebec based groups before. Perhaps the members were anglophones?

Makes me wonder about The Beau Marks from years earlier. Always liked the song Billy Billy Went a Walking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Emz3ByBsg

19. John B Good

Same guy who did Love Drops? This one appeared on the Made in Canada series.

John54 likes this.
  20. John B Good

Was Bobby Curtola the Canadian King Of Covers?

He also did one of my favorite Bobby Rydell songs - Wildwood Days

21. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not that you can say with certainty whether someone is anglophone or francophone by looking at their name, but their names were:

Les Classels: Michel Caron, Jean-Clément Drouin, Serge Drouin, Gilles Girard, Pierre Therrien

Les Baronets: René Angélil, Pierre Labelle, Jean Beaulne

bekayne and John B Good like this.
  22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

My guess is bilingual francophones. All French names.

23. John B Good

Little doubt now in my mind, question would be why sing in English. Probably looking for a big seller?

Anyway, brings to my mind Pierre Lalonde and his Louise. It was very popular where I was living, in Halifax.

24. bunglejerry

Yeah, for sure it's pursuit of the dollar. But (a) recording in English wasn't a politically-charged debate-worthy issue at the time, and (b) the vast majority of the sides they cut were in French.

25. bunglejerry

17. HEY HO WHAT YOU DO TO ME
    by CHAD ALLAN AND THE EXPRESSIONS (GUESS WHO?)
    #1 for 5 weeks: September 20 and 27, October 4, 11 and 18, 1965

[​IMG]
    Incidental note: Did you know that you've been pronouncing Randy Bachman's name wrong your whole life? Well, I'm not sure that's true; I've never met you. But as for me, and everybody I've ever heard pronounce his name, we've been getting it wrong all these years. I've been pronouncing it like "Bach" as in "Johann Sebastian" but Randy himself pronounces it "back" as in "to where you once belonged." The more you know!

However you pronounce his name, Randy's journey as a songwriter was very gradual (and he's always been humble about his excellent gift on that topic). Our binomial combo's first album Shakin' All Over consisted of four Chad Allen originals, two Randy Bachman originals, and six covers. Their second album, which shares its name with this single, inverted that: two Chad Allen originals (one a cowrite) and four Randy Bachman originals to go along with a side's worth of covers (one written by future Beach Boy Bruce Johnston). When their third album comes around - the last album of the Chad Allen era - Randy will be responsible for half of the album's compositions.

By the time of this eighth single, however, Bachman had been able to land only one a-side ("Stop Teasing Me", a bomb which immediately preceded "Shakin' All Over"). It seems there were some confidence issues at this point. In passing, I'll mention that Randy did get the b-side of this current single, called "Goodnight, Goodnight", co-written with his brother Rob, who in the future would be BTO's drummer.

For the a-side, though, the Guess Who seemingly took advantage of their brand-spankin'-new American deal with Scepter Records to avail themselves of their in-house songwriters: in this particular case, a husband-and-wife team named Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson together with their friend Jo Armstead.

Ashford and Simpson? The same songwriting team who would go on to write "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" and "I'm Every Woman"? The pair who, in the eighties, would record "Solid" under their own names?

The very same. And it's not a cover either, as I don't see anyone else having recorded it. It seems the pair only spent a few months at Scepter before being scooped up by Motown. But during those months, they got a song recorded by a mildly-famous group from Manitoba.

The Scepter deal got a few other things done for the boys as well. The album this song comes from was recorded partly in Scepter Records' own studios in New York City (several months before the Velvet Underground would record their début there) and partly in CJAY-TV Studio B, Winnipeg. That's right: a TV studio.

It also got the single released in several European markets, namely the Netherlands, Germany and France (the latter as an EP). And while neither Quality nor Scepter could fork out the dough for a single cover, the European labels came up with the following works of art:

FRANCE:

[​IMG]

GERMANY:

[​IMG]

NETHERLANDS:

[​IMG]

Isn't Anything, Paul C and bekayne like this.