1980s albums that have *never* been released on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by katieinthecoconut, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

There is a left handed bass player on the record who is pretty good too.

omikron, Lewisboogie and Fullbug like this.
  2. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Chesterfield kings "Stop!"

3. TheLastVoice

TheLastVoice Forum Resident

Nina Hagen - Angstlos (the original German version of Fearless). My vinyl copy of Angstlos isn't in great condition. I also have Fearless on vinyl as well as the 2007 Koch Records cd reissue.

LeBon Bush, uzn007 and c-eling like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No clue if these excellent sounding live cuts got released elsewhere or comped on compact disc on another label.
    Live at the 101, 1983
    [​IMG]

negative1 and uzn007 like this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Not a world beater, but a pretty good record.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Jerry Harrison had probably a more successful second career as a producer. He eventually got around to doing a remaster for The Red and the Black. It left me dumbfounded that it was download only. This wasn't too many years after the 5.1 remix of the Talking Heads catalog, and it would've stood to reason that most of his fans would've still fit the physical media profile.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. CDFanatic

CDFanatic Forum Resident

Dire Straits - ExtendedancEPlay

[​IMG]

OberonOz, Say It Right and Ellen1014 like this.
  8. c-eling

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jarleboy, ARK, davers and 1 other person like this.
  9. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

You mean Bruce Thomas or Nick Lowe?

10. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Beach Boys-Sunshine Dream, but there's a Spotify playlist with the album art but without the Beach Boys Medley.

11. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Not sure if Soundtracks count, but I have never seen the soundtrack for the 80's cult comedy movie "Strange Brew". the title track is a really cool rocker and there is some nice instrumental passages in the film.

12. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I don't think either of them is left-handed, are they?

Fullbug likes this.
  13. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I have a c.d. of The soundtrack for "STRANGE BREW"...... found it used year's ago.....very cool GEDDY LEE cameo.

uzn007 and c-eling like this.
  14. c-eling

That's awesome! :laugh:
    Had the old cassette....

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  15. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Sorry....my bad.....i have the soundtrack to their "GREAT WHITE NORTH"....It does have GEDDY LEE on 1 track.....i have "STRANGE BREW" On d.v.d. though.....great cultists movie....S.C.T.V. Was amazing!

c-eling and Andersoncouncil like this.
  16. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Nope, I was just goofing. I know you were referring to John Entwistle, greatest bass guitarist who ever lived.

17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Cheeky.

Fullbug likes this.
  18. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Adding a needle scratch to the list of albums so far, none of Céline Dion's initial run of French-language studio albums from the '80s have ever been released on CD. Not that they're amazing masterworks, but there are some gems on them (most of which have been cannibalized for "early years"-type compilation releases), and I was always surprised they never took the opportunity to release at minimum a limited-run box set during the height of her '90s fame. Next year is the 40th anniversary of her first album, so I hold out a little, faint hope they could do something to celebrate it, but they've never shown any interest. It's also possible ownership and release rights are an issue.

• La Voix Du Bon Dieu (1981)
    • Chante Noël (1981)
    • Tellement J'ai D'amour... (1982)
    • Les Chemins De Ma Maison (1983)
    • Chants Et Contes De Noël (1983)
    • Mélanie (1984)
    • C'est Pour Toi (1985)
    • En Concert (1985) (live album)

19. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

OAK
    May have actually been 1979, but close enough

20. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Was just lamenting the super high CD prices on a Paisley Underground comp called Rainy Day. It did make it out on CD once in 1989, but copies are hard to find and pricey! Given the continuing cachet of Bangles, Dream Syndicate, and Rain Parade, that's a shame and a surprise. The world can always use a little more Susanna Hoffs! RH

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    vcpj, SmallDarkCloud and phillyal1 like this.
  21. expo62

expo62 Forum Resident

22. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

Back in the 1980s CDs were two to three times the price of LPs. CDs were a major purchase. If a band couldn't shift vinyl, chances are they weren't going to sell many CDs due to the pricing of the discs and the hardware.
    I remember back then that I stopped buying music altogether due to the cost and quite frankly, a lot of the music wasn't very good.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Prices got closer as the 80s progressed. I remember when the Wiz came to the DC area - they had "loss leader" new release CDs at $10 back in 1986!

That's how I got Janet Jackson's "Control". Wasn't even sure I'd like it, but a $10 CD was like it was being given away!

On average in the US, new CDs were in the $13-$15 range 2nd half of the 80s.

Not sure what vinyl cost in that period - probably like $8 for a new album?

Once I got a CD player in 1985, I didn't buy much vinyl, so I lost track of prices. I remember hit albums were $6 or $7 in late 1984, though, so I assume they were $8 or $9 later in the decade...

Lewisboogie and c-eling like this.
  24. c-eling

An old girlfriend picked this up for me while she was traveling through Europe in 1990. (German Manufacture)
    Doesn't look cheap :laugh:
    [​IMG]

negative1 and LeBon Bush like this.
  25. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

There was actually a CD from Germany on "High Voltage" (legit and related to MCA), but they faded the ending of my favorite song on the album "Others Only Dream" too soon in this CD.

Van Stephenson - Righteous Anger

In my opinion, if "Others Only Dream" would have been released by any famous band of the '80's, rather than by Van Stephenson, it would have been a sure hit.

Side note, but back in my country radio personality days, I met Van Stephenson back when he was a member of the Country band "Blackhawk" and when I mentioned those old MCA albums to him and that I was a fan, he was not very amused, which was a letdown to be honest!