Three's Company (1977 to 1984)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Sep 5, 2020.

1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

yesstiles and eddiel like this.
  2. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

An absolutely dreadful, profoundly stupid show. At least Three's Company had John Ritter.

3. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I am guessing you are in a small minority with that opinion...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

4 pages in and not one mention of the Regal Beagle? For shame. I reference that place probably once a week, usually to blank stares.

LouChang, Scowl, Gumboo and 12 others like this.
  5. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I remember watching it when it was new and liking it. Tried watching a rerun awhile back and thought it stunk. Agree Priscilla Barnes was a better comedy actor. Jenny Lee Harrison was eye candy and never really fit IMHO

6. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Don Knotts peaked with Andy Griffith. The Threes Company character was just an over exaggeration of Barney Fife.

troggy and Grant like this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Aw, gimme a break with that crap.

Ritter was the star of the show ; didn't matter which girls were surrounding him. He was the comedic great and the reason why it stayed afloat regardless of the continuous cast changes. Obviously, the star of the show is treated differently than peripherally important characters/actors. Has nothing to do with sexism whatsoever.

As for the contract negotiations, you have a lot to read about if you actually believe what you typed. There are a number of reasons why she was removed from the show. Do your research instead of falling back on "isms" of the year. :rolleyes:

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Oh man, that episode was comedy gold.

9. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Nice of you to so casually dismiss the sexism talked about by the three women. It's attitudes like that that is partly the reason for why things are still so messed up.

Dan C, wrappedinsky and Torontotom like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

If a woman cuts me off while I'm driving and puts on the breaks, I'll be mad and give the finger but it won't be because it's a woman ; it's because that person (whoever that is) did something stupid and dangerous. People like you are the problem, turning a complete blind eye to context.

Then, there's the immediate lack of common sense which always afflict your type. You think that an actor with a one-line part on, say, Frasier would be treated the same way as Kelsey Grammer? If you answer "yes", you live in a dream world.

11. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

You seem like a pompous ass, in my opinion.

Torontotom likes this.
  12. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Not to jump in the middle of this, but I think you both have good points. Was there sexism involved in the treatment of Somers and the others? Probably. Was Ritter THE star of the show? Without question.

MarkTheShark, Grant and OldSoul like this.
  13. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Oh no doubt, and was paid well for it. But to so causally dismiss claims of sexism as if it's a made up thing is just plain dumb. The fact the women in general get paid (substantially) less then men for the exact same jobs means it's still a problem, and shouldn't just be dismissed so casually, especially with such dripping condescension.

OldSoul and wrappedinsky like this.
  14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

It looks like it was all done in one shot. John Ritter's timing is amazing.

Billy Infinity and wrappedinsky like this.
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

very hot. she was in Penthouse a couple years prior to joining the show (ive heard)

groundharp, Comet01 and SRC like this.
  16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

According to E!'s "Hollywood True Story" episode on "Three's Company", the contracts were written that if either Somers or DeWitt got a raise, the other actress will get the same raise. On top of that, Ritter's contract stated that he would be the highest paid actor on the series. So.....if Somers got $150,000/episode (forget about the profit sharing for a moment), then DeWitt would also get $150,000/episode. Assuming Ritter "settles" for a raise to $200,000/episode, we are looking at $500,000/episode for just the 3 lead actors. This is before any possible raises for Norman Fell and Audra Lindley.

Grant likes this.
  17. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I wrote above that the actresses felt the producers were sexist and (which is different from my saying that the producers were sexist). All material below is from Chris Mann’s Come and Knock on Our Door book:

Three’s Company writer Michael Baser said, “I think [executive producers] Mickey [Ross] and Bernie [West] treated her like a naughty child. I think they took a certain amount of pleasure in screwing her.”

Somers, on Dewitt’s treatment toward the end of the series, “The fact that they gave John special treatment wasn’t fair, wasn’t right.”

DeWitt: “They [the producers] were very unsympathetic and unsupportive. They would try to blame it on us, saying ‘Oh, the girls have a problem.’ It was very convenient for them to say that because then they wouldn’t have to deal with the issue at all. I’m sure all of the women on the show would tell you have difficult it was to deal with them.”

Writer Bill Richmond said to a Three’s Company executive about Somers’ Vegas show, “She’s a nice lady and has a warm personality and you really warm up to her. According to Richmond, the executive in response “called Somers a four-letter word that Chrissy Snow probably had never heard before in her life.”

Take your own advice. And note that nowhere did I say that Somers should have gotten the 150K. I do believe the leads on a syndication blockbuster like TC should get backend points.

OldSoul likes this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

19. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident

Your argument falls apart when you realize the show is called “Three’s Company” and not “Jack” or “Jack Tripper”. Kelsey Grammer played the title character so naturally a walk-on part wouldn’t be treated the same.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sorry. I meant Santa Monica. I was getting drowsy.

groundharp and yesstiles like this.
  21. Grant

I totally forgot about Ann Wedgeworth. And, her character was a total waste of time.

mr. steak likes this.
  22. Grant

I never, ever watched Friends. Seemed like another one of those yuppie shows I cannot relate to on any level.

23. Grant

Or the one where Janet thought Jack was sleeping with Chrissy. Too bad they didn't have one where Mr. Roper or jack thought Janet and Chrissy were sleeping together.

It's a shame that in 2020 we are still using euphemisms like "sleep together". I'm waiting for someone to use the term "in the family way" again.

Stuart S and Steve Litos like this.
  24. Grant

Links would help. I don't think Strat is dismissing anything. We just have never seen any evidence of what you've written.

For myself, I was around during the show's initial run, and remember the controversy well. Sure, there was probably a bit of sexism there, as this was the 70s, and men typically made more money than women. It was always what was in thye contract. Unless you know Strat personally, I don't think you can accuse him of being sexist.

What I remember is that it was all about a power play for more money, and the producers called her bluff.

Again, bring some proof.

Anyone who watched the show on a regular basis knew that John Ritter was the real star of the show. He was the most talented of the cast. But, like I said, the success of the show was because of the ensemble. All of them worked so well together.

25. Grant

I guess so. I'm just not attracted to skinny women.

mr. steak, Stuart S and zebop like this.