Eddie and the Cruisers (1983)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Aug 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Love the original, love the book by PF Kluge even more, (which I read a few years before the movie came out), & though the sequel isn't as good as the original, it is fun to watch & I think it's soundtrack might even be a tick better than the 1st film.

Got both on DVD.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  2. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

• Saw the original and sequel at the theater
    • Own the DVD of the original
    • Own a first pressing of the original soundtrack
    • Own the 12-inch single of The Dark Side & Tender Years
    Have wondered if a Blu-ray release would be any good. Seems not likely because the DVD transfer is not all that impressive.

hi_watt likes this.
  3. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I have a sentimental spot for this movie, it was on cable almost perpetually during the mid 1980s and watching it always takes me back to that time.

Bowie Fett and hi_watt like this.
  4. TMRY

TMRY Forum Resident

The blu-ray double feature looks pretty good, best I remember. I guess I need to watch again.

[​IMG]

Bowie Fett and hi_watt like this.
  5. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

it'd be cool to hear someone record "retro" versions of "on the dark side" and "tender years" that actually sounded like they were recorded in 1959 or so....

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Liked the soundtrack more than the movie. Haven't seen it in years now.

7. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Absolutely loved the first movie. Not so much for the second one.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  8. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

Loved that movie. I was in a garage band back in high school and we watched it together after practice one afternoon. The next week we started learning On the Dark Side with me doing my best John Cafferty impression. It was part of our set list for quite a while and usually a crowd favorite.

9. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

I'm looking for this on MoFi SACD......heard anything about it?

:winkgrin:

10. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

I saw one called Crystal ship in 1980. There were many Doors tributes when No One Here Gets Out Alive came out.

Steve Litos likes this.
  11. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I prefer the second one for many reasons, but especially the music/soundtrack is
    excellent. The story is extremely interesting with him hiding his identity, but the
    band he puts together really rocks.
    My favorite scene. Great music and terrific dancing...

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  12. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

You have got to be kidding me...

13. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

Yes, as reference in "Bitchin' Camaro" by The Dead Milkmen. (Although they replaced the "p" in Ship with a "t.") Even before Elvis died in 1977, there were Elvis impersonators, most famously Andy Kaufman. I suspect that trend eventually trickled over to the classic rock acts as they aged into the 70s and 80s. I'm not sure if Crystal Ship was the first? But I do recall various Led Zep and Stones tribute bands, some of them quite good, touring in the 80s.

Love the original Eddie and the Cruisers. One of those perfect "on HBO constantly in the afternoon" movies that got burned into my brain. The music was fantastic, too - John Cafferty built a career out of the soundtrack. My favorite character was Sal, the bass player, particularly in "real time" performing in his own tribute band in Jersey clubs ... I wish David Lynch would have picked up that story line and ran with it! If by some crazy chance I had been an actor on The Sopranos, I would have figured some way to work in the last speech the band's manager gave (when he finally gets his hands on the missing tapes) into a scene with Joey "Pants" Pantoliano to bust his balls.

I recall a review from Creem at the time comparing the song "Season in Hell" to Pat Benatar, and the funny realization that their "breakthrough" in the early 60s would have sounded like one of her albums!

14. ZoSoUK

ZoSoUK Forum Resident

oh yes ! havnt watched it for at least 20years but i discovered it in the early 90's when i was in my late teens (think it was screened on BBC) loved it back then, watched it a good 20 x i imagine !

not sure if it has aged well, i may have to seek out a copy !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.