Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I'm leaning toward the latter, as it seemed like this was high on the list of potentials five years ago and then dropped off the radar right around the time Abbey Road started to make it's demixing technology commercially available, I'm thinking something has been done. After all this set is being offered in EH feature retail slot the November release. This is their high profile release slot for the best material and this material really is Dagger material as it stood before and obviously they still have other A list stuff that could be released, so the fact we are getting this now makes me think they've done something to upgrade it beyond what it was. Such is my hope anyways.

smoke, supernaut, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I have the exact same notion. Delayed 5 years...demixing...hope that's it.

Tommyboy, J_D__ and adam_777 like this.
  3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Finally! Will have to start checking the Jimi Hendrix site again, though they'll probably push out an email soon.

4. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Here are pictures of the CD set...you can see the 2 CD's but the third disc has a Bluray logo so it is a 2CD 1Bluray set

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

What's the over/under on how many pages this thread gets to before release date :)?

6. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Hallelujah!! Big thanks for the confirmation.

8. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Release date says November 20th

905, andrewskyDE and J_D__ like this.
  9. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

I’m in for this!

peskypesky likes this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

Eek! I hope there will be a DVD version. Otherwise, I'll finally have to buy a Blu-ray player!

11. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

That picture makes it look like there were about 50 people there. Can you imagine sitting the the grass in Hawaii watching this!

12. Kevin Howard

Kevin Howard Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix - Live in Maui (3LP SET W/ BLU RAY )

Experience Hendrix announces a brand new collection that couples the new feature length documentary Music, Money, Madness . . . Jimi Hendrix In Maui with the accompanying live performances on both audio and video. The film chronicles the Jimi Hendrix Experience’s storied visit to Maui, and how the band became ensnared with the ill-fated Rainbow Bridge movie and incorporates never before released original footage and new interviews. The Blu-ray will include the full documentary film plus all the footage from the two afternoon performances captured on July 30, 1970 mixed in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound.

13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I recall reading that the crowd was only about 700 or 800 people in total.

Tim Bucknall, peskypesky, dee and 5 others like this.
  14. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

When people talk about passed on artists playing shows in the great gig in the sky, this concert is what my brian defaults to as a prototype for that. When I watch the footage it feels like a dream. Jimi Hendrix at the height of his fame and weeks before his death played a show on a field on the slope of a volcano in paradise to a small crowd of hippies seated by their astrological sign, like you wouldn't believe it if you weren't looking at it.

15. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i will definitely be getting the 2 cd 1 blu ray version!!
    this is exciting!

just need the amazon pre order link and i'll pre order right away!

16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Copyright protection seems to a motivator. Less about the recording year and more that most/all circulates in decent quality as low hanging fruit for PD labels in Europe.

Long technical notes would involve the drum overdubs plus all the issues connection to flawed filming session. We still don't know if both drum tracks on some songs are here - audio disc or video disc.

Unseen Jimi performance clips has me most excited. I'm sure Janie/Billy/Kramer still won't be honest about Jimi's drug use in the documentary. Anyone else from Jimi's circle from this era who saw him in person still alive? I'm not sure those 2 topless girls in the well known photo shoot were ever identified. Hopefully they got Gerry Stickells before he died 18 months ago.

Seems they force bundling the blu in the LP box. Still unknown if the CD/DVD/Blu are available stand alone and before Xmas. The New Rays bonus DVD from 9-10 years ago had a Maui film clip, but it look like it was lifted from the Laserdisc. I don't think HD Maui has ever been seen.

Was it Maui listed in the Black Gold book as there being an extended filmed Jimi interview that's never been seen? I find his interview recordings very hit or miss as his frequently quite toasted and his answers are too spacey to extrapolate anything too useful.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  17. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

18. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Maui is an island and we live ON it, not IN it .

Very disappointed in this release's title.

IN Maui County would be accurate.
    IN the State of Hawai'i .

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

IIRC, Mitchell only overdubbed his drums on about half of the recordings. It will be interesting to hear how this is engineered. I really like the cover art by the way.

20. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

No kidding. Does anyone use qualified editors any more?

21. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

This is supreb news. I will be getting the vinyl all day long.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  22. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Slow internet service?

Just kidding- enjoy!

23. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Looks good. I was only ever aware of Jimi's participation in the event on the music side. Recently, I found out the wacky soap-maker Dr Bronner made an appearance at the Rainbow Bridge event, speaking at some point before Hendrix. I love his line of soaps!

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Maybe "at" would have worked?
    As in:
    Live At Isle Of Wight '70
    Live At The Isle of Fehmarn

Tim Bucknall, hi_watt and kees1954 like this.
  25. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Does anyone remember off-hand when Janie started talking about this release as being in the near-future pipeline, during at least one interview? Wasn't it three years ago or so?

Ignatius, All Down The Line and jhm like this.