SH Spotlight RAY CHARLES ABC-Paramount "Modern Sounds In Country & Western Music" cutting history, 1962 to 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 6, 2020.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It only lists 12 songs, but it does list "Move It On Over" and "Who Cares" in place of "Worried Mind" and "You Win Again".

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That's the second printing. They tried to fix the goofs of the first press but didn't quite figure it out.. The second press was also remastered to make songs like YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE sound like absolute echoey shizz.

3. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Preserving the information- passing along the stories- this is such rich stuff, I love it! That's what keeps the music and the history alive. Well done, Steve!

ParloFax likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Not essential to the running of the world but it truly is Nerd Gold.

McLover, majorlance, ParloFax and 2 others like this.
  5. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

This is the one?

[​IMG]

6. Steve Hoffman

Yes. A DREADFUL sounding compilation. Don’t buy it.

McLover and mBen989 like this.
  7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Or to put it another way, "Grate" sounding, no? (As in, grating on the nerves.) Given their hawking his "great performances."

Wonder who cut those - The Mastering Lab? ABC's own in-house mastering which first went up and running in mid-1973? (I heard some of their mastering of other labels' masters for their Goldies 45 singles in the 1973-74 period. Some of them are much inferior to the original 45's, which may key to your critique of this one.)

8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

A DREADFUL looking album cover to match.
    :thumbsdow

AaronW likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Around 1971 or so. ABC's last gasp before losing the catalog. Each song redubbed with giant echo.

When I started working with Ray in the late 1980s, for a short while this tape was the ONLY source of a few of his songs like YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE. I thought we were sunk until we unearthed the real 1962 mix. So happy to find that one.

McLover likes this.
  10. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Sounds then like Doug Sax or whoever worked with him at TML were the culprits then, in terms of cutting these. Wondering who added that cavernous echo, though . . .

11. Steve Hoffman

The mastering is fine, the music was redubbed with reverb and really bad EQ at ABC Studios. Why? I have no idea. Worst sounding Ray Charles, ever.

McLover likes this.
  12. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

A shame it sounds so bad, because content-wise it was a great compilation, possibly the best of any Ray compilation at that time.

13. Steve Hoffman

Just a note for you Ray fans, the second C&W album (Modern Sounds In Country& Western Music, Volume Two) was released with all the jazzy songs on one side and all the "string songs" on the other side.

It was NOT originally programmed that way. That was a late in publishing call by Sid Feller. The original song order had the songs evenly spread between jazz and strings, same as on the first album.

If you are curious about the first order, I can dig that info out...

14. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Horrible sounding indeed. The only good thing about it, is that listening to it pushed me to get all the DCC CDs...

15. Steve Hoffman

Interesting. I bought it when I was in school (was on sale used for 2 bucks) and I only had heard a few of his songs (BUSTED, LUCKY OLD SUN, HIT THE ROAD, JACK and I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU.) I thought it would be a good way to hear more. And it was. Then, years later, I was so surprised to hear the originals sounded so much better.

Maybe the engineer wanted Ray to sound like Steely Dan or something. No idea.

16. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

I’d like to see that nerd gold!

17. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I'm going to guess that the Atlantic era titles are NOT the Atlantic masters.

As for the alternate sequence of C&W2? Hell yes, we want to see that!

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Atlantic recordings.

Pelvis Ressley and Chip TRG like this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

They are Atlantic, yes.

Chip TRG likes this.
  20. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Wow....too bad that a multi-label spanning set sounds as bad as you say it does.

21. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

I would have thought that Ray, owning his own masters, would have them well organised. What happened with those original tapes? Why couldn't you find them at the beginning? If I understand it well, for the work you did with Ray, sometimes you used the masters, sometimes the multitracks, is that right?

22. Steve Hoffman

The man was secretive, a bit paranoid and blind with a pile of tapes thrown in a corner. What could go wrong?

WMTC, majorlance, ddarch and 5 others like this.
  23. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Senior Member

Dominic Romeo. Hesh Yarmark talked about how he mixed “I Can Never Go Home Anymore” until finally after two hours he broke down in tears, George Morton shouted “That’s it” and they ram the tape down the hall to Dominic who cut an acetate and it was on WABC an hour later.

Also how on “Rag Doll” they “broke styluses” (probably meant blew fuses) on the 3rd tambourine hit in the breakdown and and Dominic backed off the level until it just made it, and that’s the hit.

McLover likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

I did not even remember that I started this thread. Read the entire thing over just now. Great nerd-formation here!

Lownotes, davenav and Dred like this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Bumped by request.

davenav likes this.