Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Another upcoming release:

October

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

So many upcoming releases - I guess they're doing it all now while physical product still has a reasonable market.

TonyACT likes this.
  4. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

That's pretty much been the case since the majors joined Brilliant in this whole mega box thing.

I just hope I live long enough to enjoy the mountain of CDs which has grown up in my living room ;)

5. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

I expect many duplicates. The discs are few, I already have all those recorded with ferras and cluytens....

6. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Just arrived at the door, 38 CDs :):

[​IMG]

7. Papageno

Papageno Forum Resident

Mr. H, DEVA, TonyACT and 1 other person like this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Last night I did a level matched comparison with the Backhaus Complete Decca Recordings vs the Japan first pressing CD box set of the Beethoven Piano Sonatas mono cycle (POCL-3471/8). The new Complete box is exceptionally well mastered, all of the hiss and crackle of that noisy 1950s tape formulation is left intact as well as the space between the notes in the higher registers of the piano. It essentially sounds pretty much the same as the Japan box set; the booklet says these are newly remastered in 24/96, the newer remastering did very little (or did nothing) to the transfers just like the Japan box.

I also compared the original (either late 80s or early 90s) Live in Ossiach Decca CD and the new CD sounds pretty much the same.

I wish the Decca engineers were able to record more Backhaus live, some of the bootlegs sound pretty lousy. Backhaus even at his last live recordings often sounds like himself 10 or 15 years ago in his less measured approach.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    J.A.W., Robur, zeram1 and 1 other person like this.
  9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Which Beethoven symphony cycle is included?

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

1977 cycle.

crispi and TonyACT like this.
  11. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I think I already know the answer to this, but I placed an order back in July for the Paillard Edition box set on Amazon. It was posted with a (re-)release date in August that kept moving back and now shows as "Currently Unavailable."

Was posting it with a release date a mistake on Amazon's part, or was this actually re-pressed? Basically trying to gauge whether or not to keep waiting for the thing.

12. Sigma

Sigma Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Looks like this box is OOP

Salvatore Massaro, 6138 and bluemooze like this.
  13. Sigma

Sigma Forum Resident

His recordings with Ferras was amazing! And they really need to stop coming out with things like this....

TonyACT likes this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

DG has added some more details of the upcoming big Kempff box (which so far is only listed on their site, by the way); they have licensed the recordings that were previously reissued by APR and restored by Mark Obert-Thorn:

ABOUT THE APR RECORDINGS: Over his 60-year recording career, Wilhelm Kempff never relented in his quest for perfection. Beethoven’s Pathétique Sonata, for example, was committed to disc at least nine times! Keeping up with and documenting all this activity was never easy for his record companies, and many original sources - including nearly all those from the shellac era - no longer exist in Deutsche Grammophon’s master archive. So to provide as comprehensive an overview of Kempff’s recording career as possible, DG have licensed a legendary nearly-complete Beethoven cycle from the shellac era (1925-43) from APR (transfer engineer: Mark Obert-Thorn) as a comparison with Kempff’s later complete mono and stereo LP cycles also included in the box. The edition concludes with Kempff’s very first shellac disc for Deutsche Grammophon, of Beethoven’s C major Bagatelle op.33/5, where he can faintly be heard exclaiming “Donnerwetter”(“Dammit”) when his finger strikes two notes instead of one.

The Concerto Recordings: (14CDs)

Beethoven: Piano Concertos; Mozart: Piano Concertos; Schumann: Piano Concerto, Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 1; Liszt: Piano Concerto

Chamber Music: (14 CDs)

Beethoven: Sonatas for Piano and Violin with Wolfgang Schneiderhan and with Yehudi Menuhin

Beethoven: Sonatas for Piano and Violoncello with Pierre Fournier

Beethoven: Trios with Pierre Fournier and Henryk Szeryng

Plus recordings with Pablo Casals, Georg Kulenkampff, and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau

Solo Repertoire: (46 CDs)

Works by: Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Händel, Liszt, Mozart, Schubert, Schumann including complete Schubert Sonatas and two complete Beethoven Sonata cycles

Shellac Recordings (6 CDs):

Beethoven: Sonatas – Recorded 1920, 1925, 1928, 1932, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1943

15. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

As @coopmv notes it's the 1970s cycle.

This was an added attraction to me as I currently have the 1963 cycle, and only the 6th symphony from 1977. I try to minimise exact duplicates as much as possible with these mega box purchases, and have managed to only have 15 across my entire collection.

Though I would probably have bought this one anyway given the crazy low price even if I already had more of its contents.

croquetlawns and mBen989 like this.
  16. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Another one on the way:

[​IMG]

17. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

That is an amazing bargain!!

I assume this was ordered via Amazon Australia, and sold by them.
    Unfortunately it is no longer shown as available from them :(

CamelCamel shows a slow fall in price Freiburger Barockorchester Edition by FREIBURGER BAROCKORCHESTER (B0054MEHZ8)
    so you were very lucky to get it at the bottom of this fall - just before it sold out.

So how did you manage this amazing feat?

croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  18. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Random searches of the Outlet Store.

But it should be available again if anyone is interested - I cancelled my order as I didn't notice I already had the half of the box I was interested in :(

bluemooze and croquetlawns like this.
  19. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Sounds like you are a big fan of the Freiburger. After a few CD singles and their DVD of Brandenburg Concertos, I decided this is not a group I want to add more of their recordings to my collection. They seem to be the showman of classical music ...

TonyACT likes this.
  20. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

My opinion is the very opposite in this regard. I just love their work. I have hunt down their recordings toward the years and I have at moment 89 CD´s of their recordings (I even thought in hiring our friend Donny Brook to design and build a make-your-own box-set out of them :laugh:).

I honestelly regard the "Freiburg Barockorchester" as a class of their own among the orchestras... just like as I do for the "Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestre" for example.

Anyway, just a different opinion :)

P.S. In this count above, a double album counted as 2 CD´s, a triple album as 3 CD´s... thus 89 CD´s, not 89 albuns, just to make it clear.

Kindest regards,
    regards,
    DB

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  21. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Scored another cheap mini box on Amazon

[​IMG]

It has since gone back up to $76.29

Runicen, bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  22. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

It is back on Amazon Australia, showing 1 in stock, but the price is now $76.29.

I only already have one of the 10 CDs in the box, so I shall grab this set if the price plummets again.

I'll have to start doing random checks of the outlet store. Part of the fun for me is the hunt for bargains.

And in checking it out just then, I bought a 3CD set of Beethoven Piano Pieces (on authentic instruments - https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B00NVWRA98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for just A$9.09

TonyACT likes this.
  23. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Where to find?

24. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Crazy price variations. I can't see a pattern as yet.

The 9 CD Pollini Chopin box I bought a few weeks back was $30 or so in one listing and $80 in another - both from Amazon themselves (possibly one in Melbourne and one in Sydney - they had slightly different names in the listing).

Nathen likes this.
  25. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

zeram1, Mr__Hump, bluemooze and 2 others like this.