Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

Thanks for clarifying! This thread (and your comments in it) is one of the biggest reasons that I bought them!

Rick58 likes this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If you think the Linton are good then take a look at these beauties. Probably offer the same value at their price point. The finish is just great. I've briefly seen these in the flesh but didn't appreciate the workmanship as shown in this video.

3. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

These are just stunning! Big, Beautiful Stand Mounts have a certain appeal to them, drop dead Sexy :love: If I had a spare 7K just laying around, I would more than likely own a pair.

Rick58 likes this.
  4. Boyder

Boyder Well-Known Member

Can you explain, what do you meant in your statement “didn’t appreciate the workmanship as shown in the video“
    Thx

5. Classicrock

I think they are only £4.5K in UK with the floor mounters at £7K.

bever70 likes this.
  6. Classicrock

They were at the side of the room on display at a show when they were demoing the Evo range, so the finish was not in full view. Look much nicer in the video.

7. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

8. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

True. €4999 (without stands) at their official Eu site : Elysian 2

9. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

@Classicrock do you make a living for posting links to other speakers in this thread? ;-)

10. Classicrock

What's your problem? Quite valid to point out alternatives by same manufacturer. Have no connection to Wharfedale other than ownership. I'm sure any useful additions to Linton discussion is getting a bit thin by now anyway.

11. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I'm still hoping to hear about AlecA 's impressions of the Linton.

12. gwompek

gwompek Forum Resident

I found a pair 2nd hand that is in the process of being shipped to me. Very much looking forward to receiving them. They will be replacing a pair of Denton and Reva 2 that I swap in and out of my system. I also pair these with an SVS SB-1000 sub which I'm hoping to get rid of. The speakers will be driven by either my Outlaw 2160 or a Japanese import Denon PMA-2000IV. Should have some fun experimenting soon.

ranch 22b, ChrisR2060 and Rick58 like this.
  13. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Just an observation, you've been posting "alternatives" to the Lintons on a regular basis for almost a year now. That's all.

konoyo, Exiled Geordie and Rick58 like this.
  14. Classicrock

2 'alternatives' from same manufacturers range. I think Denton's have got far more mentions.

15. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I must say those Elysian’s look sumptuous. Way outside my budget but if a sack of $$ fell out of the sky and landed in my yard then who knows....

mreeter likes this.
  16. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I have no problems with your pointing out alternatives by same manufacturer on rare occasion. But there’s plenty of new discussions from people new to the Linton and curious ... like me. And this is a Linton specific discussion thread.

17. Classicrock

Point to a thread that doesn't go off on a slight tangent. Maybe this should have been a Wharfedale thread? Why do you want to discuss Linton in isolation to alternatives, with different strengths that others likely aren't aware off? This forum is so retro look obsessive that if you start a thread on any other product it quickly dies and nobody sees it. I think it is valid to look at the Linton in context with other speakers in the range. There is plenty information here already on how Linton perform if you look.

18. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I doubt you will want to get rid of a pair of subs... Too good for movies! And some music.

19. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Would these work well with a pair of Quicksilver Mid-Mono amps?

20. YtseJammer

YtseJammer Forum Resident

21. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Hey man I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't post what you do ... so don't go off on me. But this IS a Linton-specific thread, not a Wharfedale or universal-speaker discussion ... so as long as it's related to the Lintons (yes and how they compare to other speakers, even within the Wharfedale line) it's fine with me. No one needs my permission to post anything (I'm not claiming that) so don't go getting in a wad about that either.

So why did you choose the other Wharfedale speakers over the Lintons? Have you compared them? Maybe I didn't read your comparison, if so I apologize. Sincerely, thanks for your opinions.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  22. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I don't see why not, the Lintons are pretty efficient and the M-M amps put out 40+ watts into 4 ohms. POSSIBLY if the M-Ms have very low damping factor things might get a little woolly? Maybe search in this thread or elsewhere about using Lintons with mid-powered tube amps ...

Might be a match made in heaven! Maybe not recommended for jet-engine levels in large rooms though ...

juno6000 likes this.
  23. gwompek

gwompek Forum Resident

It's actually not a pair of subs just a single SVS. I can see how my initial post was confusing though since I used the word pair twice in two different contexts lol. Part of the agreement with my wife is if these speakers sound good to us, the sub has to go. She is not thrilled with an additional "box" on the living room floor :D

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  24. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

My apologies for the delay in reporting back.

When I first got the speakers, I hadn't yet received my Audiolab 6000A Play amplifier, so I was driving them with my office system's amp, NAD's D 3020 (I use it to drive my Denton 80th). I didn't think that was a good combination. The D 3020 seemed underpowered to drive the speakers. When the Audiolab came, I thought the sound greatly improved. I'm using an Oppo BPD-103 as my digital source.

I've got the speakers in a 13' x 20' room, 7 1/2 feet apart, 20" from back wall, 30" from side wall, straight facing, with the listening position 7 1/2 feet away.

I'm sure they are not broken in yet; I probably have only 30 hours on them.

My first impression mirrors what others on this thread have said. At first, the bass seemed tight and the highs a little forward and sometimes harsh for my taste (that could also be the room, which is very bright with no rugs). Moving from toed in to straight forward helped that.

I spent some time trying different placements. If too far from the back wall, I thought the bass sounded too weak. Both the placement and time have seemed to improve the bass. It's not chest-thumping deep, but it has punch, is fast, and never sounds bloated. I've never been tempted to pull my subwoofer from the TV system into the mix.

I've also thrown a lot of different music at them. Jazz and vocals sound wonderful. Well-recorded music sounds great; it doesn't do much to improve poorly recorded or poorly mastered music. I though my version of the Rolling Stones Miss You sounded thin and strident, whereas the new Shelby Lynne sounded full and warm.

They are fun to listen to, and a nice change from years of smaller bookshelf speakers in a smaller room. I've got a lot more listening to do!

Meehael, gwompek, ranch 22b and 2 others like this.
  25. happysunshine

happysunshine Tillverkningen av Salubrin startades 1893

I've had my Wharfedale Linton's for about a week now, pairing them with my Cambridge CXA81, and I'm getting slightly nervous. They look absolutely stunning and the matching stands are beautiful but the important thing is the sound and so far I'm not really feeling it. I'm mostly listening at low to moderate volume, but I feel the midrange/upper midrange is too in your face. A lot of people say these speakers are smooth and laid-back with no risk of listening fatigue, but I'm not hearing that at all (and I'm used to listen to music on revealing studio monitors!). I've tried moving the speakers around but I'm not hearing much of a difference. Could it be the room? The CXA81 does not have any EQ controls, so there's nothing I could do there...