Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

Update from Tower today...

"Our sincere apologies for this delay.

Bob Dylan: Oh Mercy is currently on back order.

We are estimating to get your LP out within the next 2 weeks, hopefully sooner."

Myke likes this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

As a newcomer to Dylan. What is the title you recommend one starts with?
    Id like to try and get some MFSL LPs before they are OOP.

Also, is the Greatest Hits 45 using the original tapes for all the songs or is it inferior in fidelity?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The mono Freewheelin’ is incredible. Not an “audiophile” recording in the sense that it’s not full of Mellotrons and string sections and production trickery. It’s just a guy on a stool in a room with an acoustic guitar and a harmonica. But the Mobile Fidelity mono Freewheelin’ puts you in the room with that guy.

4. My Home Townes

My Home Townes Forum Resident

Agree 100%. Get it while you can.

via_atx and Tom34772 like this.
  5. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

It is a little bit pricey but if I were you I would get the One-Step Blood On The Tracks before its gone for good. Also, I really like The Times They Are A-Changin'.

Chemguy and Spencer R like this.
  6. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

The best of the MOFI releases, as compared to early/previous "best" pressings, and in order of his discography: Freewheelin' Mono or Freewheelin' Stereo (the mix isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the sound is bigger and better than the mono IMO), Bringing It All Back Home Stereo, Highway 61 Mono, Blonde on Blonde Stereo, Blood on the Tracks One-Step.

I know a few of these are out-of-print and are more expensive already. I never got to try either of the "Another Side of Bob Dylan" pressings. People loved the John Wesley Harding Mono. Have not read one comment on the Greatest Hits 45 on this forum.

7. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

Hi everyone... I’m new, be gentle....

I’m loving this Dylan mofi series. I would really like to see them have a go at Infidels. If they did that along with Time out of mind I would be happy for them to leave it there.

8. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

Welcome!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Welcome.
    My 37 year-old son and I share a love for Infidels. His original vinyl sits amongst my collection, and I've told him there's a chance it'll get the MFSL treatment. I also agree about Time Out Of Mind.
    I can't seem to listen to enough Dylan these days.

10. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

I think Blood on the tracks is probably his most accessible. Most people would also put that in their top 3 at least if not number 1. After that I would suggest Highway 61 revisited. Blonde on Blonde is right up there too but it's long and harder to get into than H61.

After that, down the rabbit warren you go....try Freewheelin, Bringing it all back home, John Wesley Harding and Nashville Skyline.

Still going? Try some of his later work like Oh Mercy, Time out of Mind, Love and theft, Modern Times.

Many other very good albums too. Even his weak albums generally have a good song or two. Then you can explore his bootleg series and wonder why the hell he left so many great songs of albums lol.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  11. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I like both the old cd and the Sony hybrid/sacd of Infidels. I think Sony recently released a vinyl version. I think the album was recorded using some new fangled digital process (I guess at it was at Power Station maybe similar to Bruce's The River ?). I would love to know more from any recording engineers/experts out in SHF land re the recording. Yes a MFSL vinyl and sacd/hybrid would be nice and something I would buy.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    CBackley, theMot and Echoes Myron like this.
  12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Not me. I want Slow Train, Saved and Shot of Love, too.

And Hard Rain. And Street Legal. And, heck...Empire Burlesque!

Yes...I want it all if it’s on tape.

MonkeyTennis, RC1, vivresavie and 2 others like this.
  13. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

I don't know what happened.....waited too long to order Desire, was it on sale that long? Took my eye off the ball with Music Matters purchases during last year.
    I did pick up Oh Mercy, which is becoming one of my favorites and I have Love and Theft on order with Music Direct. Well, yes I got all the 7 Mono's including stereo of BIABH, Highway 61 , BOB, BOTT 33 and BOTT One Step. Thinking Time out of Mind will be next and I will be chasing down Desire.

Sneezyachew likes this.
  14. Myke

It went pretty quick. When I paid $120.00 for a sealed copy here in our classifieds sub-forum, I thought it'd be worth it. When it arrived, I knew it was !!! Recently, an opened, slightly warped copy sold for more than that !!!!!
    I also had the hardest time filing the album away, as I just couldn't stop playing it !

Cassius and ssmith3046 like this.
  15. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

I was afraid of this. Ebay and Discogs have several new available starting at $199. ouch. Used with scratches for $150. Decisions, because I doubt it will get any cheaper.
    I bought Oh Mercy in August at $ 50. and couple days later it doubled and tripled in price. I may list a used MOFI BOTT 33 in classifieds for trade or purchase. Just thinking I also have a SACD of BOTT I could sell as well. The SACD is very sweet sounding. MOFI hit it out of the park with the Dylan and Miles.

Myke likes this.
  16. Myke

Agreed, and yes, as someone who has sold quite a bit in our classifieds, it's an excellent way to raise funds and move things no longer wanted.
    Watching the market pounce on every album moments after stock runs out, and / or the Awaiting Repress sign goes out, I bug the holy hell out of Music Direct to be 100% sure something is actually going to be repressed, or if it's actually OOP. Then I use that info. to proceed.
    There's a lot of greed out there, and very few care about the truth if they can screw someone out of their cash.

Gdgray likes this.
  17. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Infidels and Time Out of Mind would be great. I would love to see Slow Train Coming, Greatest Hits Vol 2, Street-Legal, Good As I Been To You, World Gone Wrong and Hard Rain.

I have all 25 MFSL / Dylan releases so far without a moments regret in buying them. It would be great to add the above to that list.

While they are at it some more Miles would be good too.

Echoes Myron, Arknine and Myke like this.
  18. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

Can you provide a list or direct us to a list of the releases?

I thought I purchased the all mono versions but I'm not coming anywhere close to 25.

I have:
    The Basement Tapes
    Planet Waves
    Bob Dylan (mono)
    Nashville Skyline
    New Morning
    Blood On The Tracks
    Bringing It All Back Home (mono)
    Desire
    Another Side Of Bob Dylan (mono)
    John Wesley Harding (mono)
    Blonde On Blonde
    The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (mono)
    The Times They Are A-Changin' (mono)

Highway 61 Revisited (mono)
    Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid

I know I do not have Before the Flood, Oh Mercy or Greatest Hits but what else is missing? Just the Stereo versions?

19. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Agree, not to be missed.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  20. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Just received my shipping notification for the Love and Theft 45 rpm. Very excited for this one. I have the MOV pressing, which already sounds pretty good, save for a little bit of sibilance.

21. Myke

Thank you for posting this ! I just checked my order at Music Direct, and yep, mine has changed to " shippable." Now all I need is the repressing of Oh Mercy and my order for both can be on the back of a Fed Ex truck !
    Maybe before I move on Halloween.

22. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Man, Music Direct is showing this out of stock already : (

Fractured, Sneezyachew and CBackley like this.
  23. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Got my shipping notice for Love & Theft today too. Very pumped!

Sneezyachew likes this.
  24. Myke

Which I'm hoping means they set my copy aside.

Sneezyachew likes this.
  25. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

I suspect with 3000 copies this one will be gone in a blink...

Myke likes this.