David Bowie - I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PageLesPaul, Feb 20, 2020.

1. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

Maybe because he hadn’t met Carlos and his wife at that point? AFAIK he never had female backing vox apart from on the soul tour (and spectacularly at live aid). Up to the 9os boys kept swinging.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    croquetlawns likes this.
  2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

1980 Floor Show?

AlienRendel and croquetlawns like this.
  3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Feathers, with Hermione?

4. mishima's dog

Girlfriends is cheating!

croquetlawns likes this.
  5. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Fair enough - that excludes Hermione, but surely the Astronettes on the 1980 Floor Show still count?

6. mishima's dog

Wasn’t Ava Cherry the only woman in that set up? If so I’m invoking the girlfriend rule again.

scobb and jhm like this.
  7. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Be careful when answering this question. I will accept no cursing at the Astronettes.

8. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I'd forgotten he had slept with her as well! He was a bit like Elvis - easier to list the women he knew that he didn't sleep with than those he did!

trumpet sounds and mishima's dog like this.
  9. mishima's dog

Btw what a band he had at live aid: Dolby, Conti, Armstrong, Seligman (R.I.P), Hurst and two amazing ladies on vox. Shame he never toured with them. A real missed opportunity.

10. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

So nearly 2 weeks after RSD and apparently 7 days after it was dispatched I still haven't got my copy of this cd from Banquet!

sonnyrock likes this.
  11. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Any luck yet Bink? Still nothing from Banquet here, and it’s two weeks tomorrow.

Bink and footstomper like this.
  12. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

I ordered within hours (minutes?!) of you and mine has just come through the letterbox!

Bink and croquetlawns like this.
  13. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

I managed to order both Bowie vinyl records from Sister Ray 4 minutes before 6. Got those safely within a few days.
    Tried to get the Roxy Music album too but that was not available so I tried Banquet. After 1hr10m of having the record in my basket and the site being incredibly slow I managed to pay for it. But almost 2 weeks later still no record has arrived.
    I do trust Banquet though, they've never let me down in the past. They must have been inundated because the wait is ridiculous.

croquetlawns likes this.
  14. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Still nothing. As I mentioned in the post just before yours, I also noted the 2 week period.

I am grateful that I was able to order from Banquet as I was getting frustrated on RSD night. I am also grateful for the feedback others have provided here on Banquets reliability. However it is frustrating having to wait this long! Such is the ambiguity of Banquets process that I don't even know if it is on the way or still sitting in a bag in Banquets store room!

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  15. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Thanks for the reassurance. Hopefully tomorrow then!

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  16. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

*Crosses everything!* Both CDs were marked as dispatched last week, and the LP is still at the allocation stage. I think as somebody else said they’ve been swamped so the online updates are perhaps a little ad-hoc. Would be nice to get one of them through at least for the weekend.

Bink likes this.
  17. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yep and yep.

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I don't agree with much of this. Unlistenable? Really? I think that's a case of you wanting something to sound a certain way, rather than simply accepting what it is. None of this album is "unlistenable", imo. Does it sound like an audiophile recording? Absolutely not. But that's okay, this album is the reality of live performances at the time. If this had been recorded to an audiophile recording, we'd of probably have gotten it at the time.

I wouldn't say it's a matter of being a "completist only" release. I think it's more of a more casual fan against a big fan. I was transfixed by this release - what a joy to hear after all this time. Obviously it's low-fi, and Bowie is tired - but that's the beauty of it. We might never have gotten it, and that would have been a real shame. If you don't have a tolerance for low-fi recordings, just avoid.

19. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

2 men and 1 woman, but it's the lady voice which makes "You didn't hear it from meeeee" so good. And she did it all with no apparent spine! ((Watch her walk on in this...

20. mishima's dog

Nice. Hadn’t seen that before. Looks like Ziggy to me all right.

Ava sure could shimmy...

croquetlawns and TonyCzar like this.
  21. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Received my cd's today. This is indeed different than the other 1974 live albums. I like it.

22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Can one or all of you please explain this "rule" to me like I was six years old?

23. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

When so pop star wants to play games with a girl they usually give sweeties (a role in the band) as a treat (incentive).

croquetlawns and mishima's dog like this.
  24. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Second vinyl copy. Disk 1 dished. Disk 2 warped :(. So frustrating.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  25. mishima's dog

Sometimes when a rock star and his girlfriend love each other very much he gives her a part in his show.