Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

Did both results have the same ASIN number? If not, then they are two different products (though they may look the same to the consumer).

I've found that putting an ASIN into the search box is a very quick way to find out if a product in one Amazon country store is available in another.
    This is especially useful for us Aussies as the Australian store is the only one we can use.

croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  2. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

I bought mine from Amazon.jp, but at present it's only available from other sellers using their site. It's not listed at any other Amazon.

3. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

TonyACT and bluemooze like this.
  4. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

5. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

This set is great!
    I was lucky enough to buy it Summer 2019 in Tokyo at Tower Records, brand new for around 100 USD.
    IF you can but it, don't hesitate for a second!

Åke Bergvall likes this.
  6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have this set as well( and I have raved about it in the classical threads). It contains a wealth of performances by some of the best and well known Soviet era Russian musicians and conductors in very good sound. I ordered mine from Amazon. Japan.

6138, Åke Bergvall and 5-String like this.
  7. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

One for the folks in Oz:

[​IMG]

8. MichaelCPE

Thanks Tony - I grabbed it :)

It would be easier to find the item if you posted a link or the ASIN number. In this case I found it quickly, but sometimes it can be hard to find something you know is on the website.

croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  9. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

[​IMG]
    ASIN: B078952HY6

10. MichaelCPE

Oh dear, I bought that one as well.

It's an incredible bargain looking at the price history of this collection at Amazon UK and USA.

TonyACT likes this.
  11. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

I just checked both and they've gone up to $98 and $60 respectively :doh:

I did order the Brilliant Classics Mozart Edition though, it went down to about $180 via Amazon UK.

TonyACT, MichaelCPE and croquetlawns like this.
  12. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I felt guilty that you missed the Baroque box. Those two should make up for it :agree:

croquetlawns likes this.
  13. MichaelCPE

I've not missed out yet - the price now is far too high for anyone to buy it.

I wonder if the process for lowering price is done by people or is an algorithm? I wouldn't be surprised if it is the latter, and so maybe the price will start to drop and keep dropping until someone buys it. And if it drops to $15 again - I'll buy it :)

I'm also trying to work out if there is any reason for some boxes being available here shipped from Amazon UK, but others not.

TonyACT likes this.
  14. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Apparently it is an algorithm.

MichaelCPE and TonyACT like this.
  15. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I'm thinking it's an algorithm, but I haven't worked out the pattern - yet.

I have bought some comics omnibuses which dropped from $250 to $50 then back to $200 or above after I bought one.

Similarly for these boxes. The Galway box fell to $170, I bought it, then it was over $400 and last time I checked was somewhere in-between.

Or back at $170, ASIN B00IGGAG7M

The variability in price seems to happen when there are 1-3 copies left.

MichaelCPE likes this.
  16. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

What you describe is also my experience. It seems to be based on stock levels - gets very low until a few get bought, then shoots up to a ridiculous price, until slowly reducing again, sometimes over months until it gets back to the low or almost as low price. Then repeat until they actually run out of stock and start all over again if they re-stock!

MichaelCPE and TonyACT like this.
  17. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

I’m wondering if anyone on this thread has advice re the three Karajan recorded cycles of the Beethoven symphonies? I’ve tried web searches a few times, including for instance Grammaphone’s reviews, but I never seem to find a good concise comparison of the pros/cons of the three. Of course, maybe that likely means that each is worthwhile in it’s own way.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you all have.

Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's not quite clear to me what you mean, the reviews in UK magazine Gramophone in particular or reviews of the three Beethoven Symphonies cycles Karajan recorded for Deutsche Grammophon in general? And yes, each cycle has its own merits. Also, the first two are analogue recordings, the third one is digital. Karajan also recorded a cycle for EMI between 1951 and 1955, with the Philharmonia Orchestra. The others were made with the Berlin Philharmonic.

19. WaterLemon

Thanks, and sorry I wasn’t clear enough. I was basically hoping to get opinions from anyone here on the different Karajan cycles and their recordings, if any are considered significantly better performances or recordings. I’m not sure I’d get all of them, so partially at least I’m trying to decide which cycle I’d get first. I’m also coveting the recent Andris Nelsons collection of the Beethoven symphonies with the Vienna Philharmonic....

20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

It is always the 61/62 cycle that seems to get the most plaudits. As examples, see:

The 50 greatest Beethoven recordings (2020 update)

Review

Review

21. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I have the first three (EMI, 1963 and 1977 - so not the 80s cycle). Each of the three has their attractions, in my mind the 1977 has the better consistency of performance and sound.

But then my favourite version of the 'Pastoral' is Karajan's 1977 and not many people seem to like it, so my judgment may be questionable :cool:

WaterLemon likes this.
  22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Karajan seems to have had problems with Beethoven's 6th Symphony, the Pastoral; to my ears he never made a satisfactory recording of the symphony, his versions sound like coming from a member of an urban jetset lost in the jungle (I hope I don't offend anyone with this). His 1951-1955 EMI cycle - in mono - is OK and does not yet have the endless legato Karajan became known for. His 1961-1962 cycle for DG is generally the most revered, while his 1975-1977 cycle sounds more "sophisticated". I don't know his 1982-1984 digital cycle (the others are analogue) well enough to say something about it.

fogalu, WaterLemon and croquetlawns like this.
  23. WaterLemon

Many thanks one and all!
    :)

TonyACT likes this.
  24. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

What have we told you about leaving gaps in your collection!?!? :laugh:

25. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

On Amazon Italy Bach's Sacred Cantatas box set (60 CDs) by Harnoncourt and Leonhardt is discounted at 63,32€.

If anyone's interested it can be found here:
    Bach - Sacred Cantatas (60 CDs)