Tangerine Dream - Pilots of Purple Twilight: The Virgin Recordings 1980 -1983

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by puffyrock2, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Exciting TD news....a follow-up box to "In Search of Hades" has been announced. This one is 10 discs and finishes off the Virgin Records era of the group. It doesn't appear that Steven Wilson was involved this time around. No remixed material or 5.1 Blu-Ray's. You still get very cool packaging similar to the first box and 4 discs of unreleased material, including the soundtrack to "The Keep".

Read about it and see the packaging here...

New Tangerine Dream Box Set, Pilots of Purple Twilight – The Virgin Recordings 1980 -1983

hi_watt, RangerXT, tspit74 and 16 others like this.
  2. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Great. This one is for me. My favourite period (Tangram) and no blueray I can't play. Hopefully there is a download option.

Limopard and anduandi like this.
  3. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

The last great period. While I
    Prefer Baumann , Schmoelling is no slouch.

hi_watt, moodyxadi, tspit74 and 3 others like this.
  4. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

This is great, I actually prefer this period to the first box.

NunoBento, anduandi and warp2600 like this.
  5. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Also glad that I can replace my own needledrops of the Tatort tunes with hopefully better sounding versions.

6. UlisesLima

UlisesLima Forum Resident

I have In search of hades box, and this will be a great opportunity to complete Tangerine dream , as far as I am interested
    Can't find the price?

7. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Love the In Search of Hades release, I'll be really keen to get my hands on this and complete the set.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Oh boy.
    I'll probably have to buy this. I do hope its reasonably priced like the Hades boxed set.

9. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Great news!
    And it's coming out in just five weeks from now!

10. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

This is where i tune out for TD but i will still get it for completest reasons.Hoping something is in the works for the pink years.

andrewskyDE, Slim Zooms and zphage like this.
  11. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

Can't see why there wouldn't be, all of the CD contents from the previous set were available on iTunes.

folkfreak likes this.
  12. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Pre-ordered on Amazon. Initially thought it would be a cheap box like some of the other Virgin compilations which sequence many albums on 4 cd's set. Delighted to see it's a worth follow-up to In Search Of Hades.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  13. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Any US preorder links yet? Amazon U.K. isn’t shipping this stateside.

puffyrock2 likes this.
  14. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

I checked Amazon in the UK and France - as you say, no shipping to the USA.
    Amazon in Germany only listing MP3s, no box sets yet.
    UDiscoverMusic are currently only listing it on their UK/EU site for $157 + shipping.

15. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Insta-buy for me. Tangram and White Eagle were the first TD albums I ever heard, and while my tastes have "drifted backwards" in the last few years to the early Baumann years, those two Schmoelling albums (along with Thief), have always been among my favorites and still are.

It's interesting that this box includes Thief (originally on Elektra) whereas the previous box didn't include Sorcerer. Are Elektra and Virgin owned by the same people now?

hi_watt and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  16. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Also, I guess I'll finally get to hear what "Beach Scene" sounds like, LOL... I've always been an "originalist" and have previously only sought out the editions of Thief that include the original tracklist.

hi_watt and anduandi like this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

They didn't include the non-TD track from Thief, which is sad. I know it was done by someone else, but man it is a wonderful way to end that one, I'd hate to be without it.

Plus, no surround sound, and no hi-res. So overall, a step back from the previous box, but still an essential purchase. Assuming, that is, the mastering is done well.

sddoug, LivingForever and uzn007 like this.
  18. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

@Wouter , were you involved in this one, too?

Slim Zooms likes this.
  19. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Amazon uk have also reduced In Search Of Hades to £99- ish.
    An excellent buy.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  20. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Cash in! No 5.1 or blu-rays. All great music but hardly essential, most of this has been available for quite some time.

izgoblin and mark winstanley like this.
  21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Agree on the lack of surround and hi-res. And also agree that most of the music has been out there for sometime. Not only that, but very cheaply. Even today you could buy the main albums for very little.

That said, the last campaign was the "Definitive Editions", and those - while sounding okay - have disgracefully cheap and uninformative booklets. Not to mention some of them are riddled with errors in the credits. At least there's some majesty in this set. Not to mention, the extras that are here. For 100 or so, this is actually a good buy if you don't already own the music (it's uniformly excellent, imo). It could have been better, of course, but it's enough to make me buy again. And I have at least four versions of the main albums already!

hi_watt, andrewskyDE, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  22. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

That only accounts for about half of this set.

There are four discs of unreleased material (The Soldier, The Keep and the Dominion Concert), the Risky Business soundtrack has been OOP for years (CD is listed for $50 on Amazon at the moment), and Tatort is extremely rare.

That seems like a good ratio to me. If they had included a blu-ray or two, we'd probably hear complaints that fans were being "forced" to buy all these studio albums over again just to get the blu-ray.

23. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Yes. I am going to get this. I like the way the last box was done, and this looks like a worthy follow-up. If they have been already recording digitally at the time, remixing will be the only option for high res. Depending if the individual tapes do still exist this may or not be an option at all.
    Does anyone know how these recordings have been done?

hi_watt likes this.
  24. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

Thief was only on Elektra in the US; everywhere else in the world it was on Virgin. IIRC the US edition includes Craig Safan's "Confrontation"; the Virgin version replaced it with "Beach Scene".

andrewskyDE and uzn007 like this.
  25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Jeez, I gotta listen to that just for the title!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.