'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Too bad the BN site doesnt offer free shipping.

Kimiimacman likes this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

They do with a minimum $70 order.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ahh ok cool.

AnalogJ likes this.
  4. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Not in the U.K. shop. Typical!

zither, Dai and magnet like this.
  5. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

No free shipping from bn uk, unfortunately. The international shipping cost for 6 lps is 75€ !!! It's a punishment for the european audiophiles, MMJ style ... :shh:

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah that sucks. Sorry about that.

7. threequartersbaked

threequartersbaked Forum Resident

long time lurker, first time poster...

Completely agree with Herbie's playing on this album. Was admittedly not familiar with It's Time before the Tone Poet release (and I resisted the urge to listen digitally before it arrived) and was immediately drawn to Herbie's comps on first listen. I ended up listening to the album 3 times the day it was received. Good stuff.

charlesp, timriepe, timzigs and 13 others like this.
  8. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

9. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Peterr and magnet like this.
  10. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

magnet likes this.
  11. mrbob

mrbob Forum Resident

Thank you!!!! Just ordered it! A few seconds after I did, they changed the price to 37,99 €!!!

magnet likes this.
  12. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I just snuck in an order at their Austrian site for €21.99 and then checked immediately after and up to €37.99. Sorry folks. This company has strange pricing practices for sure

Edit: back to €21.99!!! Edit! Only on the listing page then goes up on the in the cart, WTF?
    Be careful, Further Explorations is 2016!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The next round is up at the Blue Note store at 20% off and free US shipping for orders over $70. The pages are viewable on Amazon (US) as well, but the preorder buttons aren't yet live there. By next round, I mean The Phantom, Oblique, and Roots & Herbs.

Dignan2000, beyondmiles and Bryce like this.
  14. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Hey @MisterBritt, another record comes out featuring the great Otis Finch sans an Otis Finch photo. That dude must’ve avoided cameras like a secret agent.

Dignan2000, MisterBritt and Bryce like this.
  15. Crazysteve

Speaking of Otis, my focus went directly to his drum kit on this riotous Turrentine release.
    [​IMG]

Dignan2000, mktracy, scotti and 6 others like this.
  16. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

That's Where It's At
    arrived today. It's my favorite Stanley Turrentine album. One of my favorite Blue Notes.

[​IMG]

Other than this Tone Poet, my copy has been a mid-70s Van Gelder stamped "white B" label pressing.

[​IMG]

I've spent a few hours comparing the two today. I'm not trying to post a verdict or anything, just some initial thoughts. The first thing I noticed was that the Tone Poet has removed Otis Finch's tap in to "Smile, Stacey." Not a big deal, but an interesting edit. I'm so used to the tap in that it was kind of jarring to go right into the intro to the tune. It kind of lessens the feeling that your at the session. The Van Gelder is more immediate, more rocking (which suits the music). The Tone Poet feels a little more diffused, but if I back up in my room, it definitely has that MM/TP detail and air that I've come to expect as opposed to the sonics of the Van Gelder which kind of punch you in the chest (in a good way). The drums especially, sound very crisp and real on the Tone Poet. If you crank it, it doesn't lose as much of the power either. I think the sound of the Tone Poet is very nice and allows me to hear the session in a new way. I spent a long time trying to find a clean playing copy of this album too. I finally settled on the white B Van Gelder which is pretty quiet for its vintage. With the TP it's one stop shopping. The copy I received today has nearly silent playing surfaces. All the instuments sound solid to my ears on the TP as well.

In many ways, 2020 has been a little out of whack, but at least the TP series this year has been superb. I've probably said this a lot on this thread, but these recent releases have me really excited for Oblique (which may just be my favorite jazz album of all).

17. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I was just opening mine and inspecting it literally seconds before I saw this correspondence. What a small world! If I recall, Joe Harley said Otis "Candy" Finch did not want to be photographed. It's rather strange, but I'm sure he had his reasons.

mktracy, scotti and Crazysteve like this.
  18. Crazysteve

The jazz drumming spy. That’s the story and I’m sticking to it. He even had 2 names.

scotti and MisterBritt like this.
  19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I no longer have my original vinyl on hand, but there’s no tap in on either the RVG or the 2013 remasters available on streaming services, FWIW.

20. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Interesting. I have no other version (nor have listened to any other version) other than the Van Gelder white B mentioned above. I’ll check it out on streaming.

21. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Interesting discussion about Jackie McLean. I've always enjoyed his sound, and recognized it as very unique, with a kind of urgency to his tone, as another poster so aptly put it. Maybe it's my lack of musical training, or my familiarity with avant-garde styles, but I never recall noticing Jackie was playing off-key in the sense of a singer being "pitchy." The timbral sharpness I hear, but I've never experienced it as tonally off.

22. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Me neither - never. And I think many great musicians might swerve into micro-tonal territory as well. However, the timbral sharpness (well said) and other admirable qualities should come to mind first when enjoying McLean (who was a master imo) and not whether he was merely in tune or not. But, yes, we all hear differently - I accept that. I think my ears are more biased towards dynamics and rhythm.

23. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Big ol' box of Blue Note catch-up arrived here on Friday:

[​IMG]

Going to be a jazzy weekend!

24. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Starting out with "Doin the Thing".
    Discovered a gaping hole in my jazz drummer knowledge by the name of Roy Brooks.
    Man, that solo on side A is smoking hot!

25. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

magnet likes this.