Heart: Greatest Hits / Live

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul Gase, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks. Thread Starter

I never make it to the Live LP. The GH portion is just amazingly beautiful: great compositions; no punches pulled in the performances; amazing engineering and mixing.

You hear Barracuda or Heartless or Magic Man on the radio for the billionth time and it’s maybe nothing in that context anymore.

But, on their own, back to back, this band produced some seriously memorable stuff. Top of the line in the 1970s.

ejluther, Juggsnelson, stever and 6 others like this.
  2. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I wish they had just put out a double live LP from the Dog and Butterfly tour or earlier dates for some songs if they preferred. Powerful live band with Roger Fisher. At least there are some nice radio broadcasts from that time.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I love listening to Dreamboat Annie, the whole album. Wonderful hit songs, but even better in the context of real 70s melodic songwriting.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'dog and butterfly' is so good and so overlooked in their catalog.

5. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

It’s a shame it’s never been remastered as a 2-CD set.

6. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

This.

I actually don't listen to the 1st half of GH/Live ... :) I just care about the live stuff, because I would just listen to the individual studio albums for those songs.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

but ann wilson really does justice to 'tell it like it is".

8. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Agreed. And that's on the live "half". :)

9. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I saw that tour - it was amazing!

BwanaBob and wrat like this.
  10. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Is there a good CD release of this? Have a lot of the original albums on vinyl.

11. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

The CD was a hatchet job and left stuff off...

12. UglySickJoker

UglySickJoker Forum Resident

‘The Road Home’ needs to be released on vinyl!
    Analogue Productions, MoFi, 2x45rpm, Kevin Gray, etc etc

13. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

As did I. "Portland Jam '78," from which this footage come from (thought it says 1977):

Geee! likes this.
  14. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks. Thread Starter

I saw Heart open for ELO at Pontiac Silverdome in 1978. Heart killed it!

15. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

It's a shame, no.. a crime it has never been remastered as a 1-CD set!

I loved this album when it first came out, from start to finish, and have been waiting forever for it to be issued on CD in complete form! Yes, I really do miss Hit Single and Strange Euphoria! And Unchained Melody was not a huge hit for them, but did make a chart appearance [at #83 in Billboard]...

The total set times out at 77:44 which could easily fit onto a single disc.... :realmad:

Galley, dlokazip and VH3FAN like this.
  16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Seriously nothing about this album makes any sense whatsoever.

boggs likes this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Ok... a few weeks back I stumbled across a used CD of GH/L in an FYE store in a town about an hour away from where I live. I had previously refused to buy this on CD, so my only copy since 1980 has been a worn cassette tape that is most likely around somewhere in a box of music in my storage area.. but I loved the content, so for $2 this used copy is totally worth that price.

Now, I had long been aware that the missing tracks were on the Essential 3.0, but I missed grabbing a copy when it first came out all those years ago because.. well, Heart wasn't a priority back then because .. well.. let's just say I could live without Disc 2...

But.. a quick search on Amazon turned up a decent used copy for a reasonable price, so... now I'm off to live the dream... I can recompile the original track listing onto a disc!!

One thing I noticed, though, as I loaded all the tracks into Windows Media Player for a test run, it reports the disc length as 79 minutes, not the 78 [or really 77:44] that I expected. Sure enough, it looks like, according to Wikipedia, Rock And Roll seems to have an extra 44 seconds on the "European 10 track" version versus the "LP" version. I did notice that one of the guitar solos seems to just leap in from nowhere and was wondering if that was edited out of the original [or edited into the longer verison] or if the longer version is just a longer fade on the crowd noise at the end.. I obviously haven't done too much analysis on it yet, but may over the next couple weeks if no one here jumps in with answers...

PS. Listening to GH/L again has really got me enjoying the old Heart again... maybe I'll spring for that 5pack sometime soon to help fill out the collection...

19. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Got the double vinyl I purchased 30+ years ago.
    & I thought it was old back then.....

dlokazip likes this.
  20. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I found a 1981 repress in great condition about fifteen years ago. Listening to it now. Still sounds fantastic.

Before that, I had a beater copy that I only kept around for the three tracks missing from the CD. (The first LP was unplayable.) When I got the repress, I threw out the beater copy, but saved the gatefold insert (which the repress doesn't have).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.