'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

There’s no add to cart button on the blue note website for “The cooker”. Does that mean it needs repressing?

2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I’ve already got them all, but wow, that’s some haul! Great stuff :righton:

3. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

So this is one haul??!! Congratulations. Please make sure to breathe...take a break between albums...and get 8-10 hours sleep each night. :D

4. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Hydration, don't forget drinking water!

5. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

Received my copy of “The Kicker” yesterday. I’m not liking the sound quality at all. Probably the worst sounding TP I’ve heard and I have most of them. I listened to a Play33 album before it and it blew it away. Actually sounding better after the first song. Weird

FashionBoy likes this.
  6. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

And eventually something stronger in the evening.

AnalogJ, dastinger and scotti like this.
  7. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

How bad is it? Could you give us some details?

AnalogJ likes this.
  8. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Really enjoying That’s Where It’s At this morning, which arrived from Amazon yesterday. I haven’t been able to listen very critically, but sound quality appears very good. I wasn’t familiar with this one before, but it’s a good session...I like the vibe. Recommended.

mktracy, ceynon and scotti like this.
  9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

this post wins the internet today

10. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Really!?! I think it's up there with the best, sound-wise.

conjotter, timzigs and scotti like this.
  11. Turrentine and cappuccino.

[​IMG]

GreatTone, Idlers, djost and 33 others like this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I guess one man's sweet sounding is another man's murder hornet buzzing in their ear.

Joti Cover and scotti like this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Very nice! Mazzy, you have a way of pairing a good drink and great music during anytime of the day. Classy comes to mind...

Time for me to get back to the land of Jazz as I took a minor break to the land of Rock lately with the new LP set of GHS from the Stones and some MoFi 45's that were recently released and some others. But this afternoon sounds like the perfect time to enjoy some of the Tone Poets. Plus my wife is driving back from St. Louis today and bringing me two extra large half baked pizza's from my all time favorite pizza joint in Webster Groves Mo. that I have been going to since I was around 10 years old. My mouth is salivating already as I would take this pizza over a $300.00 dinner in a fancy restaurant, to my taste buds, yes its that good!

Sorry for the food derail, but hell, Mazzy's got drinks going on...

PS - the RSD of the Bob James, unreleased NY 1965 sessions from Resonance is awfully good. Side 1 dives into the Avant-garde, while side 2 is a bit more main stream if you will and you certainly will not feel like you went for a ride in a "Taxi" after you listen.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  14. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Had to let my table cool off after it was absolutely smoked by State Of The Tenor Volume 1. :)

15. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

What do you define as sound quality? Is it actually defective in terms of pressing? Or you just don't enjoy the music? Two very different things.

16. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Could you please provide some details? I thought it had great clarity and detail, albeit slightly boosted on both ends perhaps.

scotti likes this.
  17. Good Vibes

Good Vibes Forum Resident

I had a chance to spin The Kicker last night and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The sound of this cool, bluesy album I found to be another A+ delivery from the Tone Poet series. As you can see from my avatar... I’m a big fan of jazz on the vibes.

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well with all of this talk about "The Kicker", I guess I'm going to have to go downstairs and fire it up and hear for myself, hope its a good one!

garrincha, mktracy, timzigs and 2 others like this.
  19. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Stanley lovin’ the rich aroma

20. Joti Cover

Enjoy every slice! ( crazy as I have had a real pizza jones all day and I rarely do anymore...)

NorthNY Mark and scotti like this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! Now lets derail our beloved Tone Poet thread and turn it into Scotty's pizzeria. Next time I talk with Joe, I will have to tell what I did to the Tone Poet thread, hope it goes well...

Getting ready for "The Kicker" and this should be at least the 6th time I have listened to this great record Tone Poet style!

ausgraeme and Dmann201 like this.
  22. Joti Cover

Lol...yes, best of luck w that conversation but Scotty’s is catchy, we have to admit. Also, glad you’re not apparently having any issues regarding the sound of “The Kicker” as was mentioned a few posts earlier (maybe a cat had unplugged his speaker?)

23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Oh,....:oops:

[​IMG]

Dignan2000, ryu, MisterBritt and 2 others like this.
  24. Joti Cover

No IPA...that’s the kicker

25. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

No, but he serves Crown and Makers...that’s where it’s at! :righton:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    guidedbyvoices and Joti Cover like this.