Loudspeaker suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wooguy, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

When I bought my Paradigm Studio 100 v2's all those years ago, I bought them as a matched home theater/audio surround set-up. I still use that exact same set-up as my main surround music/ movie watching sound system today, minus the sub. Minus the sub because those great Paradigm Studio 100 v2's go down far, FAR deeper in bass than the specs suggest and they don't need a sub, they just need some solid clean power behind them (around 200 watts or so a channel). That Paradigm sub is now in another room hooked up to a Scott Tube 299b, in conjunction with my Klipsch Chorus 1's, which need that perfect extra bottom end.

Richard Austen likes this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Prices for most tower speaker are usually quoted per tower.

Bookshelf and monkey coffins appear to be usually priced as pairs.

It is not comparing a new speaker to a used speaker. Of course if you buy a used item, it shouls sell for a lot less money, as it is worth a lot less than the same item when bought new.

Also, the price is accurate only if you pay cash and don't use Pay Pal. You also need to plan a trip to Italy to pick them up in person.

Otherwise, provide 3.5% for PP fees, shipping to the U.S. and customs fees.

I own the LSiM707's and there is no way that I would exchange them for AN shoeboxes.

If I were somebody reading this, I would jump on this final remaining pair of 705's.

If I was not recently retired and have my audio gear in storage, I would buy the pair of 705's myself to use as rear towers for my 707's.

Litejazz53 and displayname like this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have always had respect for Paradigm speakers. I really thought that their Signature S8 tower was well into audiophile territory at a very reasonable price.

This was a speaker that seemed to do everything well.

While not the same sound signature, I considered my LSiM707's, bought for $2k, to be sort of a value menu approach to real S8's.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  4. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Totem Arros. The ultimate narrow tower speakers ... if that's what you really want. I'd go with @Richard Austen's suggestion -- one of the AZ series from Audio Note; super-musical. Not narrow, though; they got the beef.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Stryker10 likes this.
  5. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Just for the record, Dark is using L100's. $4K.
    Different price point. Different design philosophies. Different lead designer.
    The company logo and the design and build facilities are really the only thing L100 and Studio 500 line share. Both share JBLs general sound, but they are pretty different speakers at the end of the day.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

@head_unit, That's a great point and reminds me of another factor that adds to their flexibility.

About being great with anything: I listen to a lot of different kinds of music from string quartets and solo vocals to Soundgarden. The Silver 300s somehow have the finesse to play the former well and while being able to completely rock out to the latter. In fact, the limiting factor to the Silver 300s doing better on both types of music might be the amplifier. I'm guessing a more muscular amp would help the Silver 300s play rock better while a lower powered amp would help them do better with conveying the tonal quality and microdynamics of acoustic instruments and vocals. I don't have enough 'Audiophilia Nervosa' to do this, but I think it could be ideal to have one set of Silver 300s, but get multiple amplifiers depending on the type of music.

Which leads to the other thought that @head_unit reminded me of. I have a 31 year old 35 watt per channel Creek 4140 amplifier that I've loved and has been paired with 3 different sets of speakers through 3 different eras in my life. At some point in time, I will look into spending the mega-bucks that are probably necessary to get another amp that does what the Creek does well but is also better overall. One of my goals with the Silver 300 was to get a speaker that worked well with the Creek so I wouldn't have to upgrade that part of my system at the same time. I will say that in my demos using my own amp and other pricier amps, the Silver 300 is very responsive to amplifier quality without being too revealing of any flaws in amplification quality. It makes my Creek sound unbelievably good, yet it sounds even better with even better quality amplication. As a result, it seems like a great speaker as I increasingly have more money and time to improve my audio system.

8. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

Bear in mind that your new Totems will need a run in time, so don't judge them on 1st listen unless they are run in, then you will hear them as described above.

displayname likes this.
  9. Wooguy

Wooguy Member Thread Starter

I certainly will - seems that, for practical reasons, the Totems and the Monitor 300s are toward the top of the list. Keeping interests in the Spendor A series as well. The Polks and JBLs are certainly worthy of more perusal. I will also keep an eye out for used models of others mentioned, but, without dealers nearby, it makes speaker options a bit limited to online, dealers within reasonable driving range, and used sites like Audiogon. But I will certainly enjoy the hunt!

Many thanks to all who have given such excellent advice!!

10. kaikki on aivan jees

kaikki on aivan jees Forum Resident

I would love to hear these speakers, though of course I can't imagine they're not too much of a compromise in design ... maybe nearfield?

11. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

@Wooguy From my own experience, I will suggest listening to all of the speakers you are considering. Ideally, bring your own amplifier as well. I find that everyone's hearing and perceptions are different.

Based on what I read, the Skytowers also seemed to be a good fit for my speaker preferences (quickness of a standmount monitor with a little extra bass weight) before auditioning them. I know I am particularly sensitive to high frequency harshness and that was the shortcoming of the Totem Skytowers for me. You might find the more etched high frequencies to be a good fit for your listening preferences.

12. Wooguy

@Calvin_and_Hobbes Thank you - I will do as due diligence as I am able:)

I have read some of some issues with the upper end and the Totems. And I understand all loudspeakers have compromises, especially when size/price point considerations are factored. My room is rather reflective, so that will be something I will take into consideration.

Calvin_and_Hobbes likes this.
  13. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

That makes a difference on my end. I had the studio 280 and another single single 7 inch arena series. The speakers they use are pretty much all the same going to the studio 500 series.
    The killer of that woofer specs is the linear voice coil travel and the mass air that can deliver deliver. I have no problem with modifying the woofers induction and balancing all 3-output. That is the advantage of not paying 5 grand for a speaker set. I had these speakers since when they came out and even I have frontal set besides this, I'm not gonna let it go because I know somewhere along the way, it will haunt you back. You gotta admit its very rare for a speaker to perform at this price caliber. even the high dollar ones.

displayname likes this.
  14. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

The 100V2 was arguably the best sounding speaker Paradigm made in the V series. The follow up V speakers to me didn't sound as good - progressively worse as according to one review way back then they used cheaper materials to get the costs down. My dealer Soundhounds in Victoria BC who carried Paradigm for decades had much of the line so I always got the opportunity to try them. Their theory was that the 100V2 was so good that when they brought out their "prized" Signature 8 that people would not be able to hear the difference and would balk at paying 4 times the price for the S8 for basically a nicer finish. The theory went that the V3 and V4 were made to sound "worse" to make the S8 sound better. All the while the 100V2 was clearly the best value. I bought my Sugden amplifier on auditions based on the 100V2

SandAndGlass and Chris C like this.
  15. gryphongryph

gryphongryph Forum Resident

Amphion have some nice slim speakers, and they tend to work well in small rooms.

jonwoody likes this.
  16. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I still believe narrow baffles are hugely compromised in the midrange and again being Canadian I have heard Totem for decades and I was never really impressed with them. Most people are utterly blown away because they will say - wow the bass is so awesome from such a small driver - well yes it is deeper bass than you would expect and that is what I heard at first too. Mani-2 - Model 1 - Arro - Forrest - Hawk. But what I found over time was a nasality in the midrange and integration that was very mediocre considering the woofers were small. The Rainmaker - I actually liked the best - it had more issues elsewhere but it had a pulse.

I remember auditioning the Model One - which was a whopping $1800 Canadian back in the day versus the B&W CDM 2SE - this was not a tweeter on top design - thankfully. And I remember liking the CDM a lot LOT more. (and if you know me you know I am not exactly a B&W fan). But the CDM 2SE was more open dynamic - ALIVE sounding - while the Model One sounded shut in boxy and "technical" - Lots of bass for a small woofer - wow - but that victory was hollow. The CDM was bouncy lively and yes more box colouration but it had a pulse and sounded far more dynamic. B&W basically had a similar problem with the supposedly better CDM 1SE which was the higher model and sounded worse IMO. Of course the kind of music you play may also have a bearing here. Generally - the bass of the smaller speakers and cabinets rely on long throw woofers so they always seem "forced" and create a kind of bass that doesn't sit well with me.

The AZ Three is slightly under 13 inches wide. (330mm) so it's not exactly a fat tub speaker. Compared to the anorexic Arro it is but damnit - I hate the fat shaming!! The AZ Three is not ready for the big and tall shop. It's not as though the AZ Three or the aforementioned B&W CDM 2SE don't have their issues but they seem to sound more open and alive and dynamic and fast and exciting - with some added colouration here or there. But you can own a SET amp with the AZ and perhaps the B&W - that's a no go with Totem or Polk or most other narrow baffle long throw type woofers.

The Grand Veena is probably the best of the lot - it has the Higher efficiency factor - has deep bass - is open fast and dynamic sounding is narrow and sounds premium. If I found one on the used market here I would buy them. I almost bought the Midi Master. Plus unlike the AZ - it has a much nicer quality of finish and these things do have to live in your home after all - the AZ Three looks kinda cheap - but then it is 1/4 the price new so something has to give. Totem also looks gorgeous.

bhazen likes this.
  17. cliff_forster

cliff_forster Crabby Dad Tech

head_unit and Clay B like this.
  18. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

...is what your SPOUSE thinks about the looks of these various possible models? ;)

Seriously though, I see a lot of stuff about the sound of the speakers but that matters not a whit if your significant other opines "those are ugly" or "those look boring." Lots of good sounding speakers in your price range, and due to the miracle of "break-in" (a.k.a. "your brain getting used to the new sound") they would probably ALL be fine, especially in a home system without direct A/B comparison to other speakers.

19. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ah I have a soft spot for that technology, except for the part where the OP said "reflective room."

20. Wooguy

Yes, I agree. These speakers are all excellent, and will come down to balancing sound with the more practical matters :)

21. Wooguy

Totally! Although Bosch did play a lot of Art Pepper through his and they sounded great! At least on TV :)

22. cliff_forster

cliff_forster Crabby Dad Tech

That can certainly make it interesting. They are nice from a lifestyle perspective because they are designed to be put close to the rear wall so they don't have to come out into the room so that has a good WAF. You want the rear wall to be a little active to disperse the sound but if it's a room with high reflective ceilings and crazy echo it might be a bit much. That said they give you a 120 day in home trial. I think they sound really cool, if I had the WAF to deal with I think I'd lean that way.

23. Wooguy

Excellent point - definitely worth exploring!

cliff_forster likes this.
  24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Hey, I've got it! How about some little Bose cubes! Perfect sound forever!
    :hide:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Adding to my opinion of the Certaldo, that's what I just added to my system :D
    [​IMG]

jonwoody and Richard Austen like this.