How does Amazon ship vinyl

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Derrell Gore, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derrell Gore

Derrell Gore Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am buying vinyl for the first time in many years...

Does Amazon ship in a box or a flimsy bubble bag?

Does it arrive by UPS or USPS? I know a lot of times packages are shipped UPS but delivered by USPS.

I have received so many cd's from them that the cases were destroyed when they got to me.

I have a mailman that thinks no matter what the size of the package they can stuff it in my mailbox.

2. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

In many cases, neither!

Gaslight and E.Baba like this.
  3. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

You will find various threads about this.

Many complaining about the results you have already mentioned by ppl still using them.

4. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I just got an LP from Amazon. It was double boxed. LP inside LP sized corrugated cardboard box which inside another box tightly packed with air bags. I was impressed.

nutsfortubes and Scope J like this.
  5. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

If you have a destructive mail delivery person then I suspect that no matter how Amazon packages your album it still may not survive the postal handling. Amazon provides pickup locations in various stores, etc. -- possibly you can check to see if there are any in your area, and if so, have the pkg delivered to one of these locations in order to keep it out of the hands of your mail carrier. As for me, I've been very lucky with Amz's album shipping -- so far: only had to return one album because it was physically bent trying to force it into a box that was about an inch too small. I've been buying from Amz for a handful of years. But others have had different, less positive experiences: albums shipped in bubble-lined envelopes; albums not shipping in anything, with the shipping label simply stuck on the album's shrink wrap; and so on. The good thing about Amz is that exchanges are fairly easy and painless. Bottom line, a lot depends on the distribution center that is shipping your product, and whether that warehouse employs people or neanderthals.

cporcp likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Oh, we haven't had that discussion in a couple of hours...

Mr.Mustache likes this.
  7. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Got one today. Album mailer inside another box, so it was double boxed. Everything was fine.

Delivery was by the Amazon bunny, on a Sunday afternoon.

8. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

Amazon shipping has been all over the place for me. Most of the time, it's double boxed -- an LP mailer inside of a larger box. But I have also received items where they slapped a shipping label directly on the record shrink wrap and sent it with no box at all...the only good thing is that they are quite understanding with their returns/CS issues. If I have damage, 9/10 times I get to keep the damaged item for free and get sent a replacement.

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've never received an LP from Amazon in a flimsy bag. Always in a sturdy cardboard mailer, sometimes double-boxed. Only business who ever shipped me an LP in paper is GoHastings, now out of business.

10. Derrell Gore

I received three records from Amazon today. One was in a box. One was in cardboard in a plastic envelope. One just had the label stuck on front of the album. Last one was unacceptable. Corners were bent...shippers had written all over it with a marker. It looked like a used record. I called an gave someone a ear full...not that it does any good. They first offered to refund me $4.00 which I said no way. They are sendi8ng a replacement..it might come the same way...who knows.

11. Derrell Gore

So does anyone have experience with DeepDiscount. Any bad shipping problems from there?

12. rod

rod Senior Member

Until last week I had good luck. Every LP came in a box, sometimes double boxed and was shipped by USPS or UPS. Amazon is now doing their own deliveries in my area and for the first time I received a 10" LP with no outer wrapping and the shipping label permanently stuck to the shrink wrap.

13. Derrell Gore

I have Buddy Guy - Stone Crazy coming tomorrow. I hope it is ok...i am still in shock that i found this...very hard to get.

14. Derrell Gore

So in the last three weeks I bought 6 albums from Amazon. 4 had to be returned. 3 of the 4 was because of shipping problems. I am done with Amazon.

So I have been looking around at other options. My next choice will be Walmart. They do FREE IN STORE delivery on a lot of albums and I also noticed they have DEEP DISCOUNT, MOVIE MARS, etc setup as vendors some with FREE DELIVERY. But what I like best is I can return to the store even if I use these vendors. No waiting to get my money back if I have to and if it is not in a box when I get there I can refuse it on the spot if it has damage to the jacket.

Anybody have any horror stories ordering from Walmart.

15. Derrell Gore

Update on the Buddy Guy Stone Crazy album...was in a box but album cover was ripped on the top edge and the side....I am talking a two inch rip. Then when took the record out only about half of the hole was punched out so couldn't get it on the turntable. There was also clumps of wax material all over the label.

Not all of this can be blamed on Amazon but they definely have some quality control issues.

16. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

Amazon is a crapshoot but thankfully they have the best return policy out of any company. To the best of my recollection, the shipping options are:

1. In an LP mailer - Usually fine with no problems
    2. In an LP mailer inside of a larger box - Typically the best
    3. Record inside of a box - Sometimes OK sometimes comes dinged up.
    4. Just a straight label on a record - Don't think i've ever had this happen to me.

Whats funny is I've had replacements/same record shipped out from the same fulfillment center in different packaging methods. I suppose whoever packs are not trained on one way to do it but rather whatever they think is best.

DeRosa likes this.
  17. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

None of that has anything to do with Amazon. Amazon is the middleman. They don't manufacture the records and had nothing to do with the center hole or waxy deposits. If you bought the "Stone Crazy" reissue and it's not acceptable, just return it. It won't cost you anything but time. If you bought it from an individual selling on Amazon, that's another story and still doesn't have much of anything to do with Amazon.

thxdave likes this.
  18. Derrell Gore

I haven't told this thread about my latest record. It came in a flimpsy plastic envelope...no padding at all. Guess what my mail carrier can make a 12" record fit in a 6" mailbox....amazing.

Do I blame the mail carrier or Amazon. I mean nothing on the package that says DO NOT BEND or any indication as to what is in the plastic bag.

I only buy when it says FULLFILLED BY AMAZON...or I did. I will not be buying records from Amazon anymore.

I have bought two records from Walmart website so far and had them delivered to the store for pickup. I have one of the small NEIGHORHOOD WALMARTS about half a mile from my house. So far has been wonderful and if I did have a problem I can return to store for refund immediately. No shipping cost and I think their selection is just about as good as Amazon.

19. Derrell Gore

By the way I emailed [email protected](supposedly goes to0 Jeff Bezo himself). Got a call that night and talked to an account executive for an hour. They gave me a $35 giftcard for my trouble. This was before my last delivery...of course they said they would immediately correct the problem and that shipping without any packaging was completely unacceptable.

Maybe everyone on here needs to start doing this and eventually they will listen.

Tjazz likes this.
  20. Mr.Mustache

Mr.Mustache Forum Resident

All of my many amazon record purchases have been awesome except for two. One was worped super bad and I requested a replacement, the replacement was worse so I kept the original. The other one was mailed in a bubble envelope and the jacket was damaged bad, so I requested a replacement. It came in a box. Every one of my LP's have came in a box within a box except for the one in the envelope.

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The only online retailers that get it right for me every time are :

MFSL
    Acoustic Sounds
    Music Direct
    Bull Moose
    Amoeba
    Barnes & Noble

22. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Amazon UK seem to have their act together. A proper mailer, sometimes inside a large cardboard box, and not delivered by Royal mail, who sometimes damage things.

23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

This.

Inconsistent packing does appear to be a training issue, and not an Amazon policy problem. I've preordered many records from Amazon over the years,
    and most of the time they get the proper packing, the LP mailer inside a regular box.

Amazon has been using their own system of delivery drivers in my area for the past year or so, and they've been good
    at handling the boxes, i haven't been having a problem.

Couriers on the other hand, if a shipment of a single LP in a sleeve goes any distance, they odds of it arriving intact
    drop considerably. This one came Fed Ex from Europe this week, completely folded so bad the vinyl has a 1" warp,
    so much for RSD on-line!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Derrell Gore

That looks good compared to my last order. I have a 6 inch mailbox. They managed to put the record inside the mailbox. The record was in a complete U shape...but also wanted to point out mine was not in cardboard. it was just in a flimsy plastic bag.

25. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.