Three's Company (1977 to 1984)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Sep 5, 2020.

1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved the first 3 years for sure.

2. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

So per the layout, Janet shared a bedroom with another grown woman for 7-8 years? Not just an apartment, but a bedroom? I can't imagine putting up with that at any age.

The only reasonable explanation is that the girls were all lesbians, and Jack was there to throw off the landlords.

3. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Let's say her character was 18 when the show started. Show me one 25-26 year old in Southern Cal who can afford their own bedroom.

4. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Jack Tripper.

groundharp likes this.
  5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

6. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

One of the problems with later Three’s Company was the ages of the characters. In the beginning, they had actors in their late 20s playing characters in their early 20s, so the premise rang true. But when the actors reached their mid 30s (and looked it), you started to wonder why they were still living together. Same thing happened with Laverne & Shirley.

SomeCallMeTim and carrick doone like this.
  7. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

Money is a better reason. They couldn’t get a third woman to join them so they invited Jack (who gate crashed their party, fell asleep in the half filled bathtub and cooked them a great breakfast while in one of their dresses). Made it easier for Janet to explain to the Ropers that Jack was gay.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

After reading up on the breakup between Suzanne Somers and the show, and seeing some videos where she and those involved with the show talk about it, my take is that she was and still is really full of herself. She really thinks she was the star of the show, when everybody knows that John Ritter was the star. Her wanting a raise and to be paid the same as Ritter was more than reasonable, but the way she went about it and the amount she asked for was totally unreasonable.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Did you watch the video I posted? That's a good one.

10. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

One of my favorites. Now I want to watch some episodes today. Jack Tripper and Mr. Furley are two of the greatest sitcom characters of all time, in my opinion. Stupid show, but that's part of the charm. I can watch John Ritter and Don Knotts all day long. They always make me laugh. Season 4 is my favorite with RF, Chrissy, and Lana.

11. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident

Yup. Unfortunately incidents have to happen in order for rules to change and lessons to be learned. Throughout the course of the history of the film industry things have happened that resulted in rules and laws to change. Look at the Coogan Act, for example. Jackie Coogan unfortunately had to find himself flat broke in order for changes to be made protecting the earnings of child actors. Lessons were definitely learned in the Suzanne Somers and Valerie Harper situations.

12. Captain Paul

To be fair that video only illustrated one side of the story.

Kyle B likes this.
  13. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Three's Company was a guilty pleasure when I was a younger teen - I saw it in reruns. It's OK now for occasional viewing but just every once in a while like every few years.

I prefer the Chrissy era. I like The Ropers about the same as I did Mr. Furley. The later seasons aren't as good overall. The spin off shows are generally subpar.

The Ropers theme song has to be one of the worst for TV. Yikes!

14. Captain Paul

RobRoyF likes this.
  15. Capt. Cadillac

Capt. Cadillac Forum Resident

I always thought that quote of the "Three's Company" theme was a nice touch.

16. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Last week Adam the Woo did a filming locations video on his Daily Woo channel that some of you might enjoy.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, I think Suzanne regretted what happened, but she wound up OK: she's worth $100 million today, mostly from her 1990s TV commercials. While Valerie Harper didn't get another sitcom after that, she worked on many, many TV movies in the last 30 years, so she stayed busy... and did ultimately win her lawsuit against Lorimar. I'm generally on the actors' side on these things, because they get screwed so much on money deals in TV.

Grant and Kyle B like this.
  18. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

By all accounts, Suzanne and her husband negotiated very poorly. But I have yet to see Ted Bergmann or any of the producers address why they weren’t willing to give their lead actors any points in the back end, given the enormous amount of money it generated in syndication (and it was an independent production, so there was no studio taking a cut).

Grant likes this.
  19. Captain Paul

I wonder, does the SAG require a “due process” in the termination of a contract or the firing of an actor from a TV show? Are there any job protections in that sense or does the SAG have some catching up to do still?

20. Captain Paul

I agree. In hindsight Suzanne could have handled it better and perhaps if the three of them negotiated together things would have settled better. It didn’t seem like the producers really had any interest in negotiating and giving the leads anything in terms of syndication.

Grant likes this.
  21. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I loved Three's Company.
    Pricella > Suzanne
    Mr Furley > Ropers

And I still remember the show was sponsored by Finesse shampoo

The best episode is "Up in the Air"

Jack Lord and palisantrancho like this.
  22. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Not sure. I was on YT and remembered this thread and found some videos there on a search.

23. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

When I lived in LA, my neighbor was a retired sitcom writer and he wrote "
    “Jack on the Lam”"
    FBI agent. When I told him I saw it on tv, he jokingly said that's another check in mail for him.

eddiel likes this.
  24. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

This thread sucked me in. Started from the beginning today. Already on Season 2, episode 8. Only 164 to go! I wonder how long it will take me? I sure wish it was streaming somewhere without commercials!

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's why I love my DVD set...no commercials!

Grand_Ennui and palisantrancho like this.