Megadeth on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Soundslave, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think so. Again the general consesus was that Dystopia unfortunately is a bad sounding album from mastering standpoint and EU black pressing is a bit better in terms of quality of the vinyl. As an owner of such pressing, I still can't say the album is great, but if US pressing is worse than EU I just can't imagine how bad it sounds, to me that's unacceptable to drop the quality even lower.

I have that Orange pressing - this is a repress from Music on Vinyl that sounds better than CD counterpart for sure. I wondered about the more recent remaster and we actually had some reviews in the thread.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    joshm2286 and MegaRebirth like this.
  2. Munger74

Munger74 Forum Resident

I just got around to listening to the Dystopia after having it for a year. Yes I know that’s a long time but I have a back log of vinyls to listen too and it’s been a while since I was in a Megadeth mood.

Anyway to cut to the chase. Avoid this on vinyl. I have never said that before. I have the EU pressing and unbelievably side 2 is pressed on both side’s. Initially I thought they had incorrectly placed the labels and went with listening to side 2 first. To make matters worse I have no idea where I bought this in order to attempt a refund. Oh boy I should have listened to this straight away! Any way avoid this great album on vinyl. Oh yeah it was also full of pops and clicks after a big clean. I’ll know use it as a dust cover down the track.

Soundslave likes this.
  3. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

I don’t listen to vinyl anymore, but on my system, and on any clips I heard, the CtE MFSL vinyl sounded muffled and had really bad IGD, especially on Psychotron and Crown of Worms with the latter issue. The gold MFSL CD sounds significantly better in my opinion.

This is the one album I prefer the 2004 remix for, especially since the MFSL CD doesn’t have a brickwalled or heavily compressed mix. The original mix’s drums sound really bad to me, and the remix adds a much needed thump to them.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Soundslave likes this.
  4. Flusani

Flusani Forum Resident

Is there a good vinyl option for Peace sells?
    My combat cd sounds pretty good and way better than my Dutch pressing but its my favourite MD album and would love to have it on wax.....if it sounds better than the cd

5. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

I really liked my original US Capitol vinyl when I had it. My favorite version of it on CD though is the original Japanese CP32-5400. Probably the best this album will ever sound.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  6. Soundslave

Yep. I remember I found out a needledrop just to taste what it may sound like and was underwhelmed with t the sound quality of that. Later on got I got my first MFSL CD, which was CtE. Even Valeron in his review addmited that MFSL somehow failed with the LP version of CtE, so basically it's, as we say in Russia, "money to the wind" or money away for that kind of release. Gold CD is the way to me with this album. Plus, if we think about it, Crown of Worms has the original sound, but EQed by Dave for 2004 reissue plus additional treatment by MoFi :)

7. Soundslave

Once again, as I've written in this thread, I'd recommend to look for original UK '86 or US/EU 2011 reissue (which is unfortunately part of a boxset).

Flusani likes this.
  8. raye_penber

raye_penber .

That's odd ... my EU copy of Dystopia has both correct sides, is flat, quiet, and moderately dynamic for a letter day release.

9. Soundslave

Btw, I promised that comparison a while back but unfortunately the seller was wrong about the version he had - a bootleg repress of 2008 From the Vaults reissue. I got refunded for it though.

Hey @RockyMTnLeg Shaver , did you manage to get the Japan pressing?

10. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

RockyMTnLeg Shaver Forum Resident

Thanks for the reminder. I have the 2011 and the Japanese pressing. My wife goes out of town Wednesday so hopefully I can get to a shoot out this week at proper volume, haha). It's been a while but I seem to remember the Chris Bellman 2011 did impress me quite a bit. The only problem with the Japanese pressing is it is VG+ and there is some static in spots. I will make this a priority and report back.

Soundslave likes this.
  11. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

On another note, I did land an original EU pressing of Rust in Peace. Like was stated earlier in this thread, the EU pressing sound quality is the same as the original UK but the vinyl is much better quality. Both look visually to be VG+ but the EU plays VG++ and the UK play VG/VG+.

Szeppelin75 and Soundslave like this.
  12. Marquess

Marquess Well-Known Member

Hello, I strongly admonish the “Back on Black” reissues.
    I bought a couple of LP’s from these collection (Supertramp’ Breakfast in America and other) and they are inaudible. All sources from average to low digital files.

nosliw likes this.
  13. Marquess

Marquess Well-Known Member

Best thing to happen to bands like Megadeth, Anthrax or Slayer, will be MOFI or other audiophile label to reissue their analog era catalog.

nosliw, Soundslave and Stormrider77 like this.
  14. Soundslave

Yeah, I think Twisted Sister release from MoFi (the recent one, Stay Hungry I guess is the name) was received pretty well. I wish that more metal albums with nice production will get the same reissue after that. I mean, they were still recorded on tape and sound great!

iloveguitars likes this.
  15. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

The Judas Priest MoFi's are pretty good.

16. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Metal reissues done with the same treatment as the Music Matters Jazz/Tone Poet series with Stoughton jackets and properly mastered records straight from the original analogue tapes would be amazing.

Ragged Glory, fndrblndr and funknik like this.
  17. Flusani

Flusani Forum Resident

Anyone know how the condition of Megadeths mastertapes?

I would love if Mofi did some MD but their shot at CTE was not very good imo

18. Soundslave

Well, I never heard about master tape problems from Megadeth. I recall Dave mentioned the KIMB tapes had to be backed though, but The Final Kill in my opinion was based on 2002 remix, so I suppose they just added some original master tracks from tapes into "2002 project". Other than that I guess the tapes are pretty okay.

As I've mentioned around forums, I'm not a big fan of original CtE production - too much highs and the overall sound is too dry to me. The 2004 mix brought some "meat" to it, but the "infamous" digital 2004 snare sound is there. Still, MoFi did great on Gold CD while working with the 2004 remix, but the LP version somehow is terrible. It's too dull. They also had another wrong take when treating some of Metallica's albums from 2008 series, but that time made them too shrill.

19. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

I just received a Korean pressing of CtE. I have nothing to compare it to but I will report back once I get it on the turntable.

MegaRebirth, gritty and Soundslave like this.
  20. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

I listened to the CtE, Korean pressing, last night. Like I said I don't have anything to compare it to on vinyl, but I thought it sounded very good. The person I bought it from also had the MFSL and he said he actually preferred the Korean press to it. The other interesting thing I noticed was that the dead wax is the smallest I have ever seen on a record on both sides. I was afraid there would be some inner groove distortion but there was none. Overall I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

21. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yeah, it isn't great but tolerable. I got my copy free because they had a special deal at Target - buy on CD get it on vinyl for free. Inside was a redemption card and the record was mailed about a week later. I've played it a time or two but prefer the CD version.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  22. nosliw

I just placed an online order for the original UK LP pressings of PSBWB, SFSGSW, and RIP. Finally got my butt to get these LPs as the original/early pressings are increasingly scarce these days and the negative reviews of the recent reissues/remasters had me turn to the originals.

23. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

originals are the way to go for sure. i had bought the purple Peace Sells and thought the sound sucked. Bought an original and it blew it away.

nosliw likes this.
  24. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

I have a 1991 reissue of Peace Sells (thought it was an orig when I bought it) but to my mind it sounds fine. I can't imagine it uses different masters to the original LP given how early it came out. Replicates the orig inner too. That may be a cheaper option. Perhaps someone with both this and an orig can do a side by side comparison. Being familiar with the remaster, I was surprised to hear how 80s the title track sounds on the original release (gated drums and all).

Also have original Killing Is My Business and So Far So Good So What, both of which I was lucky to get in a local record shop. I don't think Killing actually sounds that bad for the time (since raw production was typical of the thrash era), and it's nice having the proper "These Boots". So Far has some different production choices like different instrumentation on "Into The Lungs Of Hell" for example.

I felt the same way, the orig Rust In Peace and Youthanasia CDs both sound great, but CTE is oddly thin sounding. I'm not really sure what they were going for on that.

Soundslave likes this.
  25. nosliw

Going by the information on Discogs, the 1991 reissue of Peace Sells uses one of the same metal stampers as the 1986 release, so it should sound the same overall.