Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2020 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Or Fox jokes...?

2. trd

trd Forum Resident

Sean Hannity, Roger Ailes, and Glenn Beck walk into a bar...

fishcane, wavethatflag, bzfgt and 7 others like this.
  3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:cop:

;)

US Blues and trd like this.
  4. trd

trd Forum Resident

Tempting fate

KCWhistle and SJR like this.
  5. pterodactyl

pterodactyl Forum Resident

I agree, but I heard some of the shows at David Glasser's Airshow Mastering while he was working on them, and it was just stunning. It felt like I was on the edge of the stage listening to them right in front of me. Depth, height, the whole thing. You could hear the spread of the amps. It was an amazing sound, especially the Sing Me Back Home.

I just got a pair of Vandersteen 2cis and it was remarkable how good it sounded. The piano was right there (I was listening to the second Wembley show) and the bass was much more three dimensional than my other speakers (Avalon NP2s). Power is McIntosh MC2255.

It would be nice if they could be mixed at a more leisurely pace, but I am really glad just to have all the music in reasonable quality.

6. pterodactyl

pterodactyl Forum Resident

I love DP 25 (partially because I was there). But somewhere I have a DAT which is just about as good and was sent to me by someone anonymously who told me never to share it and it has more of the in between banter, including Phil giving a shout out at the end to me and my friends who were dancing by the stage. I need to find that tape and share it.

GerryO, Complier, anth67 and 9 others like this.
  7. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Very cool! If you find it I’m sure Charlie Miller would love a go at transferring it.

8. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

So it's your fault...

9. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

I’m also a big fan of DP25, especially 5/10 from New Haven. It’s an example of a set list looking perhaps underwhelming on paper, but the performance that night is pretty spectacular. Highlights in my view are Jack Straw (one of my top favorite versions thanks to Jerry’s “growling”), Let It Grow-Deal, and the jam into and then the Other One, not to be missed. Really, everything post-drums is about as fun and ripping as you can hope. Works for me at least!

10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The Estimated > Eyes from that show is exquisite, especially the transition jam between those two songs.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  11. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I love all the fun they're having. All those whacky vocal finales...I wish I could see Jerry 'n Donna's faces. Maybe pterodactyl could share some impressions....

Smokin' Lazy Lightning and Dancin', too, as I recall. Special pick, I've always thought, nothing else quite like it.

pterodactyl, KCWhistle, trd and 2 others like this.
  12. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

The first thing I noticed when I listened to this '84 Philly pick was how much I was digging Space. I have noticed that several others here have called special attention to that track as well.

13. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Check out Rango's 5/13/83. Ever since hearing that, much of my '80s listening revolves around a good Space. Ventura '84 is another one to consider.

14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yes! It’s here. Quicker than the last one.

Not that it matters, #14,882/22,000

[​IMG]

frightwigwam, JeffreyB, trd and 15 others like this.
  15. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about the high # since everything plays with the channels reversed down under, anyway.

16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:biglaugh:

That explains everything! ;)

17. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

This cover and the one for Vol. 1 are by far the worst covers because they reference popular culture.

18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Star Wars and Rocky?

Freebird and US Blues like this.
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Rocky & Bullwinkle

Freebird, uzn007 and SJR like this.
  20. E()

E() Cat Herder

I'm okay with the cover. It is a pretty good representation of the venue and its location in Philly, and there were a lot of events there before the Spectrum was built. Not sure there were a lot of boxing events so the Rocky aspect is hard to deny.

That said, there are no moose in Philly -- sorry Bullwinkle.

Freebird likes this.
  21. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

We still have three months left in 2020. There is time.

22. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I wish they would release a 6/28-7/1/85 box already. I really do.

WaterLemon, adamos, DocShipe and 5 others like this.
  23. SStrekkie

SStrekkie Forum Resident

DP 35 is actually the first Dave's Pick I ever bought. I starting buying up official Dead releases around the time of the launch of Road Trips but I was pretty disillusioned with the Egypt '78 release and just stopped - there didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason why things were being put out and the wallet was taking a big hit. Not like I did this for the money but looks like some of the bonus discs I picked up along the way may be worth something, go figure.

ANYWAY, I will say I am typically drawn to periods of the Dead that are less heralded than others. We all know and love '72-74 and '77 but for me, '78 should get some love too. '84 seems like an underappreciated year as well. Since I have no other Dave's Picks to compare this too, to me it's a solid release but I just listened to Bird Song from the night before based on a prior post and to me, that's stronger than anything on all 3 CDs. Speaking of the night before, China Cat>Rider is the standout tracks from the set, as well as Scarlet>Fire. Seems like 4-19 may have been a better pick but oh well, we did get most of the second set.

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The 1978 period is good, and perhaps a bit underrated. To be fair, it has received some attention over the past several years:

Dave's Picks, Vol 7 (4/24/78)
    Dave's Picks, Vol 15 (4/22/78)
    Dave's Picks, Vol 23 (1/22/78)

+ July 1978 box set

25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i believe there are 9 1978 releases plus the july boxset. lots of official 1978 releases

Freebird and US Blues like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.