I want to love vinyl, but...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Sep 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

How are transistors technically superior?

2. saturdayboy

A single informed post like this is worth a thousand posts where people expound on their theories and philosophies

Halloween_Jack and CDV like this.
  3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

True. But keep in mind a lot of used CD sales too. At least units sold I would suspect (prices generally much lower than their vinyl counterparts). So that could all even out.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  4. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

It's informed because says what you want?

Experience is not theory or philosophy, i think your post is a little "strong" and based on your own theory / philosophy.

In another way maybe you can share your knowledge and surely will be much more polite and positive. That's the end reason to public forums ... to share.

5. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I don't know how ... simply they measure much better (technically are better). But my intention was to show that even transistors measure better that doesn't mean they sounds better to everyone.

Big Blue likes this.
  6. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

That's accuracy vs color.
    Just like pro audio monitors vs hifi speakers.

7. saturdayboy

it’s informed because he is a broadcast and recording engineer who knows what he is talking about.

kind of like if you want to understand the pandemic listen to an epidemiologist instead of going to public forums where people are sharing their ideas.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    CDV likes this.
  8. Oelewapper

I think it's perfectly normal to be a bit skeptical, since there are many people on the web claiming to be experts or professionals or impersonate existing professionals.

9. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

Haven't 1-bit DAC been designed specifically to combat the non-linearity, high manufacturing costs, and overall unpredictability of early "brute force" DACs? Also, don't the techniques used in sigma-delta DACs like dithering and noise shaping allow to squeeze more information from recorded 16 bits, that is, up to 18 bits?

10. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Ahhhh.... Color!!!

Didn't I say in another thread that "sounds colored" was the favorite way to insult other peoples equipment when you can't find anything bad to say about it.
    I suppose solid state is black and white.

11. Oelewapper

Only electronic principles are black and white, luckily, the reality will always be in color! :p

12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

The principles might be, harsh reality is another matter. Otherwise everything would be fantastic according to specs and measurements.:D

Oelewapper likes this.
  13. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

My thoughts.... grooves are grooves.

14. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

:biglaugh: ... Very good

Slick Willie likes this.
  15. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

16. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

That is certainly one "good"option. But there are other options as well. Thanks for your point of view. It's certainly one the OP should consider.

17. jlhi2001

jlhi2001 Active Member

Does this have something to do with my perception that the digital reproduction of cymbals is often deficient in some ways. In lay terms, it often seems to me that after the initial attack of a crash cymbal the timbre often sounds washed out and loses definition as the sound decays--almost like a low resolution mp3. Sounds from bass drums, bass guitar and the midrange more often seem to be reproduced with much more timbral accuracy. Vinyl, on the other hand, often sounds much more realistic. It reminds me of the difference between the over-the-air analog signal vs the stream coming from the local jazz and folk radio stations. The analog just sound so much more realistic and alive.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Just as a note:

"New York(CNN Business)The days of vinyl records being a nostalgic relic of the past are long gone. This year, vinyl sales have outpaced CD sales in the United States for the first time since the 1980s.

Vinyl records accounted for $232.1 million of music sales in the first half of the year, compared to CDs, which brought in only $129.9 million, according to a report from the Recording Industry Association of America."

Vinyl record sales surpass CDs for the first time since the 1980s

Cyclone Ranger and LakeMountain like this.
  19. That is money rather than units and what were the figures for streaming and downloads? I believe we are talking about something approaching $6 billion (85% of which is streaming).

20. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

It might change back again, if this takes off! ;) Sparkler Audio S512 D/A processor to improve CD sound!?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie Thread Starter

If that is based solely on dollars, it makes sense, as new vinyl usually is at least double and often triple or quadruple the price of a new cd. More telling would be units sold.

22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I have been buying CDs since you could. While I don't have a collection like some here, it is probably about 1200. If I could magically convert them to digital on my hard drives, I think I would.

SandAndGlass and rednedtugent like this.
  23. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

I value your whole post, @jaddie, and just pulled this quote out because it gets at the question I have.

Granted that digital in the recording studio is indistinguishable from the original console signal. Do you believe that, given careful mastering, the CD delivers an experience indistinguishable from this? Reducing all other variables--if you stayed in the studio, and played the CD over the same amplification and monitors--would it sound the same? Or does something happen in the CD delivery system?

I ask this as someone who gave up vinyl long ago, doesn't have high-rez streaming capability, and listens exclusively to CD and SACD at home. So I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just trying to learn something.

24. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Same here. Got rid of vinyl years ago. Always wanting to get back into it. But when reality hits its different. I have more than enough cd's to go through til I'm dead.And with being over 60,not happen8 g.
    And my cd player. Onkyo 7030. Which still amazes with how good it is. A freaking $100 dollar player

timind likes this.
  25. timind

timind phorum rezident

Last night I listened to The Talking Heads, Speaking In Tongues album which was ripped to AIFF from a target cd made in Japan. The DR of this cd is fantastic, and man did it show last night. I no longer have the album, nor do I have the system I had back in the late 80s, but I don't remember hearing from the vinyl what I heard last night. I wasn't expecting the sonic treat I got.

Noel Patterson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.