When will the Simpsons end?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sear, Sep 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

For many, like the media, advertisers, employers and politicians, Gen X has ALWAYS been irrelevant.

A bit Off Topic, but I imagine there will NEVER be a Gen X President of The United States.

Gaslight likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

mr. steak likes this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

To paraphrase Frank Zappa:
    "We're too SMART for that $hit..."

Crimson jon likes this.
  4. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

I went to a friend's house a couple of years back. He has a daughter who was probably 6 at the time. They had the Simpsons movie on DVD and she watched it over and over and over. This was literally 2018, more than 10 years after the movie even. You can't underestimate the impact of parenting on a child's tastes. A new generation of kids are fans of this show because their parents were.

The modern shows have modern pop culture references, whereas the guest stars and satirical bits from the first decade don't really resonate anymore. (Like that episode where George HW and Barbara Bush move in across the street after leaving Washington.) That said, when I was a kid in the 80s I watched Bugs Bunny episodes that referenced the 40s all the time and it didn't really bother me -- it probably expanded my cultural lexicon quite a bit. Those cartoons were being aired like 30-40 years after being produced.

This is interesting:
    The Simpsons by the Data

goodiesguy, Tord, Grand_Ennui and 4 others like this.
  5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I feel kind of the same way about Law and Order, but I don’t watch it or bother creating threads to complain about it, either.

fr in sc likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Uh, humour is subjective. Before launching into a pointless rant, maybe you should understand what that means. :rolleyes:

7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Keep calm.

8. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Where's the "whoooooooshh" emoji.

This thread has been repeated 10,000 times on 10,000 websites for the last 29 years. I'm bored.

9. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Fair enough. You can choose to not enter

10. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

The actors get paid so much that The Simpsons might actually be a loss leader at this point.

Conan had a bunch of the writers on his jibber jabber show (look it up on YouTube it’s great), and aside from reminiscing and cracking jokes they mention how the contract gets renewed every like 4 years or something? (Don’t quote me on that), and that theoretically the show could end at the end of any particular contract cycle, depending on whether or not the show gets renewed.

11. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Nonsense. We are the premier generation. Not hard to attain when the one before you is dying off and the one after is .... well, you know. :shh:

Anyway, back in the 90s, I never missed the Simpsons. Now I cannot recall the last time I watched it and I have no idea why I stopped. :confused:

12. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I like the first ten seasons. After that it's just too patchy and tired for me to really care.

13. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

No I want to know when this thread will end.

I'm going to post about it 9,999 more times. My opininations is valid!

fr in sc likes this.
  14. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Fortunately, there is as yet no law that says you must watch something, just because it's being shown.

15. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I actually forced myself to watch new episodes around 8 years ago just to check in and see if it was any good. There were some good episodes here and there but I really wasn't into watching on a regular basis.

I remember arguing way back around 2001 - 2002 that Futurama was the better show. Back then that was the basis for a huge debate, now the Simpsons' image has tarnished by sticking around so long that people are much more inclined to agree with me.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Harry Shearer is the oldest at 76, so I'm guessing if he gets ill or opts to retire, that would most likely be the end of the show.

17. Strat-Mangler

Clearly not bored enough.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  18. Strat-Mangler

Congratulations.

19. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Have they "jumped the shark" yet?

Season 31 averaged only 2.58MM viewers.

For comparison, the 21st season of Law and Order SVU averaged 6.46MM viewers.

NCIS, 17th season: 15.33MM avg viewers...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  20. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I watched a couple of new episodes a few months back and thought they were funny.
    Maybe it is getting long on the tooth and not as good as it used to be . But so am I.
    It's still ' The Simpsons '

21. By you.

22. Except for Groundskeeper Willie...Dr. William MacDougal when he is wearin his Prince Charlie.

23. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

If Americans are dumb enough to make the masked singer the number one show in the country... .

The Simpson's epic run is the least of our problems.

" I wish I was like you...
    Eaaaaasily amused"

cdnostalgia likes this.
  24. This type of viewership counting is not relevant any longer due to many reasons.

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ha ha, true. But this year will be Covid-scary... :ignore:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.