Where's the love for Sofia? (Coppola, not Vergara...)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Shoes1916, Sep 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd been a fan since being utterly terrified by Virgin Suicides (Dementia 13 & Moe Greene's eye move over!), and loved Bling Ring, though was befuddled by Antoinette.

And then, without knowing who the director was, I saw Somewhere, Coppola's follow-up to Antoinette.

I was captivated within seconds, and then mesmerized, wondering every few minutes who directed it, but not wanting to check on the net & spoil the wonder.

It is such an astonishingly perfect film that I was reminded of Kubrick and (Daddy) Coppola, having made the mistake after seeing VS of thinking that her dad MUST have been telling her what to do every step of the way, & not realizing what a magnificent voice & vision she had as a filmmaker.

At one point the main character floats in a pool for what seems like eternity, and I thought "This has GOT to be a Coppola film, but I know Francis didn't direct it - could it be Sofia???"

And then, at film's end, her name flashes & I jumped to my feet & started applauding wildly.

What I'm getting at is that it's a magnificent film, and that she is one helluva director.

So show me the love and/or hate, people!

:edthumbs:

2. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Lost In Translation always has a special spot in my heart.

3. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

All of her films are wonderful with the possible exception of Marie Antoinette that was OK but had a miscast Jason Schwartzman.
    I’m definitely looking forward to seeing her work with Bill Murray again in On the Rocks:

4. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Maybe she should start using different actors...

5. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I’m regards to On The Rocks: While I enjoy Bill. I think that role could have been better suited for an actor with dry/subtle comedic approach and whom we as the audience don’t trust. George Clooney would definitely work as a guy who runs around with many women. Mel Gibson perhaps.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman - does she have to arm wrestle Wes Anderson for actors if they want to film a movie at the same time?

7. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

This!

aorecords and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i've only seen 'lost in translation' ..... been wanting to see VS for a while tho .... i think she is very talented, and look forward to more films by her ...

9. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The Virgin Suicides is one of my favourite films. I also like Somewhere and The Bling Ring. They deserve more attention.

MikaelaArsenault and vivresavie like this.
  10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I'm a Sofia fan. Her choices -- what stories she chooses to tell --
    always surprise me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.