Favorite Actor Who Was Never In A GREAT Movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MortSahlFan, Mar 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Sid was in Tarentino's "Jackie Brown."

hi_watt likes this.
  2. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I don't consider any of the Next Gen Star Trek movies to be "great", so I'll say Brent Spiner.

ggergm and Pete Puma like this.
  3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah, maybe 'great actors never to receive an academy award nomination'

its a great trash movie, but Ben has been in some great Cassavetes movies so i dont think he qualifies

4. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Cagney: SO many great films.

I want to say Leonardo DiCaprio, but The Aviator & Catch Me If You Can stop me...

5. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Tarantino probably cast Haig because he'd seen him in all his B-movies, and Tarantino's seen every B-movie.

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I would say most people haven't even ***heard*** of "The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie".

hi_watt likes this.
  7. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

The Departed, The Revenant, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, ...

hi_watt likes this.
  8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I guess we have to define what a "great" movie actually is. Mostly what makes a movie great is the acting. I doubt anyone would have given Citizen Kane high grades if a lesser actor played the role. Same thing goes for many others. Cagney was a superlative actor. His roles in Public Enemy, Roaring Twenties, Angels With Dirty Faces were very good. His performance in White Heat was one of the greatest ever. For me, his performance in Yankee Doodle was terrific, even though I do not consider it a great movie. The first ever Cagney movie that I remember watching was Love Me or Leave Me with Doris Day (someone earlier asked about that one).

Great movies require great acting.

9. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Just like his casting of Pam Grier and Robert Forster.

10. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

My favorite actor has been in a few great movies. Nothing to see here I guess.

11. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

If the question was, Favorite actor who has never been in a 4 out of 4 star film (A masterpiece) then my pick would be Steve Martin.
    I guess he's been in some great films....at least several that have been entertaining. But has he ever been in a film that is up to his level of talent? No way. Not one masterpiece on his resume.

fr in sc and MortSahlFan like this.
  12. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Out of curiosity, what do you think are his best movies? I've seen "Planes...." and it was alright, and I remember "The Jerk" (he must REALLY hate cans), but it was a long time ago.

13. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Brides Of Dracula is awfully good. Greatest vampire movie of all-time? Debatable.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Losing privilege and entitlement may feel like “oppression” but it isn’t.

15. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Probably Planes, Trains, & Automobiles; Bowfinger; The Spanish Prisoner; L.A. Story; and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Of these, my favorite is probably Bowfinger, with Planes second. Both are supremely entertaining. Are they great films?....

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Great film" can mean many things. People seem to default to the Oscar "important movie" definition, like only serious dramas can be "great films".

When I left "Bowfinger" in 1999, I thought "man, that was great", so I guess it's a great film! :D

17. jojopuppyfish

I liked "All of Me", The Jerk, Planes Trains and Automobiles, and I remember liking Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
    Frankly his appearances on Tonight show with Carson and his guest hosts spots on SNL are his best work

Never liked Roxanne and I don't remember LA Story being a great film.

Pennies from Heaven isn't funny. Its depressing. As a musical it has some amazing set pieces.
    Frankly I think Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters were miscast

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  18. MortSahlFan

Just in case you didn't already know, Kubrick was so fascinated by Steve Martin in "The Jerk" he thought of casting him in the lead of "Eyes Wide Shut", which had been on the shelf for a while.

19. jojopuppyfish

I know Steve Martin visited Kubrick for a role. Not sure if it was for Eyes Wide Shut. Kubrick loved The Jerk.
    From what I read during a Steve Martin interview, he didn't seem impressed with Kubrick

MortSahlFan likes this.
  20. MortSahlFan

Interesting. I'll try to find that Steve Martin interview. Thanks!

21. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

Robert Culp. Outstanding, yet underrated method actor who never really had that "big breakout role" which could've catapulted him into A list leading man status.

'05Train likes this.
  22. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

I'm not a huge Martin fan, but I liked Bowfinger, particularly Kevin Bacon's small part. Loved The Spanish Prisoner.

23. jojopuppyfish

Might be this.....Charlie Rose

24. Maureen Garrett

[​IMG] [​IMG]

rockerreds likes this.
  25. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Welcome aboard the Bowfinger fan club - but are you sure about Kevin Bacon being in it? He's not in the IMDB cast list:
    Bowfinger (1999) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb

Also, a Google image search of "Kevin Bacon in Bowfinger" turns up zilch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.