Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Look at you! I don’t have that one, damn you

sami likes this.
  2. sami

sami Mono still rules

Definitely get it. Just Norman with Nancy on cello on some tracks, just pure.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. sami

sami Mono still rules

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Gotcha :righton:

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

6. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I never thought of the Van Morrison connection before, but now that you mention it, I totally hear it.

I don't know if I have a favorite track on this album yet, but that one is definitely a contender (along with Country Girl and Ebury Down).

notesofachord and sami like this.
  7. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

"Is all you do is listen to music?!" The question of a thousands years, the answer that lives in a thousand dreams.
    A question I certainly got a lot, made me into the note-head I am today. Good story on Lou, lots of times I
    go through a certain music pile, I come upon Take No Prisoners, the cover glaring me down like a 'dare you
    to play me' bullet into the ear. One day soon. The jazz vibe has been heavy on here, almost nabbed me, but
    I pulled away to give Los Lobos a spin while I cook. This is a great record and sounds so good, a perfect mix
    with air under all instruments, though very pronounced, including the vocals. Did some '72 Dead earlier
    for another kind of vibe...

[​IMG]

8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Oh man, Los Lobos is another act right at the top of my "you've heard the name 10 million times but not any of their music" pile. Any reccommendations for an open book listener? :)

Jim Walker and sami like this.
  9. US Blues

Fragile

YES

Steven Wilson mix.

:uhhuh:

10. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

How Will the Wolf Survive was their first full-length album, and a good starting point. You'll recognize at least one song. I just listened to it earlier tonight.

They're also very much worth seeing in concert (although stupidly, I haven't done so since the 90s).

notesofachord, adamos and warewolf95 like this.
  11. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Fleetwood Mac Penguin. Danny Kirwan was out, Bob Weston and Dave Walker were in. This album doesn’t grab me so much but I like the Christine McVie songs. Revelation is good too. (I’m A) Roadrunner should be a cool cover but the vocals hold it back.

rockinlazys, ARK, Rne and 2 others like this.
  12. sami

sami Mono still rules

I'll second Will The Wolf Survive as a recommendation. I haven't stayed current on them, but that's a great record.

warewolf95 and uzn007 like this.
  13. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

Ambrose Akinmusire's new album "On The Tender Spot Of Every Calloused Moment"

A very bracing and engaged record by Ambrose and his working combo including a touching tribute to Roy Hargrove.

[​IMG]

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    David Bowie. David Bowie, 1967.

(Stereo mix)

15. US Blues

Northern Song

Steve Tibbetts

Jim Walker, adamos and Oliver like this.
  16. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Fleetwood Mac Mystery To Me. A nice step up from Penguin. Hypnotized is a good track as is Forever and The City. As usual I like the Christine McVie songs although Keep On Going (which she sings but did not write) feels kind of disco. The Way I Feel and Why are lovely.

notesofachord, sami, ARK and 2 others like this.
  17. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Agreed... I went to see Clapton a few years back because some friends wanted to see him. Los Lobos opened the show and blew his doors off.

18. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Not surprised. They are amazing musicians with high energy.
    Also they've been around forever and I don't think they've released a bad album.

19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Clapton is a bore in concert. Saw him in the 90s and again last year. Nearly bored me to tears both times.

20. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Yeah I had the same experience, which I’ve rarely run into with live shows.

warewolf95 and Erik B. like this.
  21. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I saw him a couple of times on the Journeyman tour. While I was psyched to see a legend in concert at the time, a lot of it was slicked up AOR with a few really good guitar solos and not much else.

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    David Bowie. David Bowie, 1969.

23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I think I saw that same tour. Was he co-headlining with Elton John ?

:hurl:

warewolf95 and Oliver like this.
  24. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Lol! No I actually can't remember who opened but it wasn't Elton John. Perhaps Spandau Ballet? ;)

25. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Getting back to this one early in the AM on an off day from work (but of course silly me already checked my e-mails and even sent a couple - help me please?!?!)

THIS might be THE recording to really hear Rafal Mazur. What a sound he gets from that unique hand built bass of his.

warewolf95 and US Blues like this.