Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

can't say I'm blown away by the trailer, ....but i want to see the film ... and wallace shawn is a great screen presence. (remember 'my dinner with andre'?)
    just hope there's a way for those of us in the US to see the film !

palisantrancho likes this.
  2. John Lucey

John Lucey Forum Resident

SPOILERS in the TRAILER!

So, I don't agree, but some folks have said the trailer gives away to much. So, warning given.

palisantrancho likes this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Agree, but I think they’re hiding some big things too.
    Don’t read this if you’re avoiding spoilers and please don’t quote without spoiler tags!!!

There’s an on-set pic floating around of Christoph Waltz as Bergman’s “death”.

My guess is when Shawn asks if he’s losing his mind, he’s going to have interactions with famous film characters (hence the Festival setting). Showing things like that might scare away viewers who’d think it too “weird”, so they’re keeping it out of the trailer. However, that sort of stuff is trademark Woody, from escaping with characters from the past (Midnight in Paris) to interacting with his fictional characters (Deconstructing Harry), or real-life childhood ones (Annie Hall).

Just a guess, but that could make this a GREAT Woody film. Plus, just having Wallace Shawn as the WA surrogate, rather than Twee Timothhheeee Chalamet elevates the prospects 1000-fold).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks good.

Aside .. Kate Winslet in the past 8 hours has apologized for working with Woody Allen.
    Bit late for the pain parade.

palisantrancho and thgord like this.
  5. alexpop

Could be his last film.
    No mention of upcoming projects on IMDb.

6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I usually avoid getting drawn in to these gossipy discussions, but I’ll bite this time. Sad to read such vicious comments from Winslet. I have always liked her as an actress, but I saw her on an episode of Who Do You Think You Are? last year, where I found her affections irritating and insincere.

Presumably, she’ll be handing back the Hollywood Film Award she won for Wonder Wheel?

21st Hollywood Film Awards - Wikipedia

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Don't hold your breath.

8. mrjinks

Agree 100% on Winslet, but let’s abide by the OP’s first post and avoid the controversy around WA’s personal life in THIS thread. I’m game to berate her on another thread, but since the discussion might kill the thread, let’s not do it here...

9. alexpop

“ just a friend “
    Wallace Shawn is cute. :)

10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Aiming for an Oscar with Ammonite, which she has said i, " a story about women speaking up, speaking out."

Max Florian likes this.
  11. John Lucey

I think that in his interview with Jason Solomons from a few months ago, he said that, pre-COVID19, his next project was all set for filming in Paris over the summer.

So, without this virus, there would be another film in the bag and he'd probably be editing away as I type this.

mrjinks and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

Frustrating, what.

John Lucey likes this.
  13. John Lucey

Hopefully life returns to "normal" soon enough (with a vaccine or whatever it takes) and he can film next year. I wonder if he is still set on his traditional summer filming window now that his daughters are grown. It seemed that he worked around their school schedules.

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

Looks like he’s getting a new appreciation with his latest work. Hopefully he can continue, no doubt filming in Europe. I would like him to make another Match Point type film in London.

vivresavie and John Lucey like this.
  15. mrjinks

Was amused to stumble on this old post of mine from 2015, after he finished shooting Cafe Society:
    Woody: "No title yet. If it comes out good, it’s an aggressive title, maybe ‘Poets of New York.’ If it’s not good, it gets a quiet nothing title like ‘Rain in the City. “While you’re shooting you can’t tell if it’s a winner. Every day you see dailies. Looks good. But strung all together, after sitting through 20 scenes, it’s sometimes not so charming. That’s why trailers always look perfect.”
    We should have known! He told us all those years ago!!!
    :winkgrin:

16. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

So which of his other movies have quiet nothing titles? Magic in the Moonlight, To Rome with Love...

palisantrancho and John Lucey like this.
  17. mrjinks

Anything Else! Perfectly titled! As in, I’d rather be watching...

John Lucey likes this.
  18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

"Dobel Says ..." might have been better.

vivresavie and John Lucey like this.
  19. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

So based on the above, "Rifkin's Festival" sounds like a winning hit to me. Although Midnight In Paris does sound rather bland as a title. Go figure.

John Lucey likes this.
  20. John Lucey

Has anyone seen anything regarding a soundtrack release for Rifkin's Festival? Stephane Wrembel scored the whole film, right?

21. John Lucey

SPOILERS in the Link.
    Here's a link to a pretty long article (in Spanish) about "Rifkin's Festival," with quotes from Woody about choosing Wallace Shawn and other gems. There are so many details about the plot and the characters, so SPOILER WARNING. Google translate if you need...and if you dare! :laugh:

Rifkin's Festival, la película española de Woody Allen

22. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

He did that with Tall Dark Stranger, which for me is one of his best films ever.

L.P. likes this.
  23. alexpop

That was a decade ago, before the sht hit the fan.

24. John Lucey

I share the love for Tall Dark Stranger...It's one that I'm fully looking forward to watching again soon.

L.P. likes this.
  25. mrjinks

I enjoy that film, too. Better than many 21st century Woody, IMO, but unfairly lumped with his lesser films. Further thoughts available thru time travel here.

Max Florian, John Lucey and RayS like this.