New Rega Planar Series Turntable Comments

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Litejazz53, Sep 15, 2020.

1. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

that feels like a step backwards...what's different in the sound?

2. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I for one can speak to the fact that the Exact is a very competent MM cartridge. It has high output and a nice fine line stylus, tracks well and is quiet doing so. I used a total of four of them on my Rega RP3 and enjoyed them all for their imaging and musical presentation. It was one of the things that convinced me the next turntable and cartridge had to be a Rega which is exactly what I did when the opportunity presented itself.

3. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

i've heard good things about it but seems unusual to take an apheta off and go to an exact wondered what they felt the difference was

Bananas&blow, Morbius and cut-out like this.
  4. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

I’m another Planar 8 user, also with a custom acrylic dust cover. I was too nervous about that exposed stylus, and the Rega stylus guard is an accident waiting to happen with its crazy mount. My middle-aged eyes aren’t up to the job!

I chose the P8 over the RP10 (used examples being around the same price as the P8 when I bought) and I prefer the design of the P8 although sonically there’s not much between them. Easily the best table I’ve owned, my list of shame is:

Linn Basik/Akito mk1
    Linn LP12/Lingo/Naim Aro
    Clearaudio Evolution/Tangent
    Linn LP12/Naim Armageddon 2/Naim Aro
    Nottingham Analog Spacedeck HD/Spacearm
    Rega P25/RB300

The most detailed deck (after the P8) would be the Clearaudio, but the best overall deck (after the P8) would be the Spacedeck HD.

I’m not getting 100% out of my P8/Apheta 2 right now since I am awaiting a build slot in having a ‘hot rod’ phono stage made. For now I am slumming it with a basic MC stage that does no real wrong but certainly holds the sound back a bit.

I really must buy another RCM though!

struttincool and cut-out like this.
  5. jheyesen

jheyesen Forum Resident

@Litejazz53 Any noticeable sonic change with that cork mat? I'm thinking of upgrading from my current P6 and always find myself swapping between the stock felt and a Herbie's mat. While I ever-so-slightly prefer the sound of the felt, static cling is still an occasional challenge for me....despite my best attempts to mitigate (wet clean records, anti-static sleeves, a blast from the Zerostat, etc.).

Litejazz53 likes this.
  6. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

I got a great deal on the P8/Apheta2 combo when I traded in my 30-year-old Planar 3. Lived with the Apheta for a year (and two phonostages) and while it was *spectacular* with well-recorded, well-mastered, and immaculate pressings, it was just too revealing on the bulk of my records. Peaky treble, not enough midrange. I found myself listening too much to the cartridge and worrying about which records might make me wince. The Apheta doesn’t seem to love late 70s-80s indie/experimental rock I guess :)

I’m looking at it as ‘My Year with a High-end MC Cartridge’. I would never be able to afford an $1800 cartridge; the Exact is a much more sustainable solution for me. My beloved midrange is back; it’s full-bodied, and I can just enjoy my records again.

I am wondering now what to do with the Apheta.

7. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

This thread has given me a lot of GAS towards either the P6 or a P8. The fact that the Exact2 is we regarded still for either table is a bonus. If that cartridge is used, is there a significant step up in sonics from the P6 to the P8? Upgrade is about a year away, so just dreaming until then, but I look at a lot of other tables, and keep coming back to the P6. But something about going up a level to the P8 might make it worthwhile. I have a Moon LP110v2 prephono, with a Musical Fidelity M2Si amp, and Dynaudio Excite14 speakers. Will likely move all of that upstairs to a living room, and buy new stuff for the next turntable. Maybe a Rega Elex R or the Elicit R to match the table. And Dynaudio Evoke20 for the speakers. All speculation right now...

8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with going with your instincts and the P6 with the Exact would easily get you through a number of system upgrades. I used my RP3/Exact with an Elex-R and its internal phono stage and was delighted with the performance I got, for years in fact.

PS: I just looked at your profile and noticed your system is made up of equipment that all has a good reputation at least in reviews - phono stage, amp and speakers. Seems at this point a good cartridge and turntable is all you need.

IRG and cut-out like this.
  9. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Yes, thanks. The TT is probably the weakest link right now. But the reason for the total upgrade, is to move the current system out of my basement man cave, into our living room (although a TT up there might not be needed, or I can just keep the Uturn with it as is). But if I don't end up doing that, and just upgrade what I have, then the TT is the main thing, first.

I've been curious about trying something totally different too, like very efficient speakers (maybe Omega) and a Decware SET amp to go with it. But that's totally undecided at this point. Fun to think about "what's next".

SandAndGlass and Morbius like this.
  10. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Are the cables fixed on the P8 like the P6? Never liked this feature, though I understand some of its benefits too.

11. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

Yes.

12. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital Thread Starter

You would probably need to ask someone that is 18 years old and has perfect hearing. For me, I can't tell any difference in sound quality, however nothing sticks to the cork mat and it looks great. The mat that comes with the table is just so generic and boring, I wanted something that pops and looks great on the turntable and the cork does the trick, I'm crazy about the mat, as I know exactly what you are saying about the felt mats sticking to your records, I hated that. They are not expensive and their design and look just enhance the overall look of the turntable and possibly give a better sonic presentation, however, I cannot confirm that. I got mine on Amazon.:righton:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Litejazz53

Pumping up the thread!!!! Come on you Rega owners, post a few pics and let us know what you think of your Rega Turntable! Hopefully there are some Planar 10 owners, come on, step up to the plate and post some pics and observations! :edthumbs:

14. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

very happy with my P6. Have to be careful though because it's so light that when I open the dust cover from the right side (near the arm and cartridge) it lifts the entire table and it can send the arm flying and cause the needle to slide across the record. Thankfully i've only had minor hiccups and no real damage but I've learned to be more careful.

trd, Litejazz53 and struttincool like this.
  15. Litejazz53

Hey, if you think the 6 is light, you should see the Planar 8, my ceiling fan blew it off the stand (not really, but it's beyond light). Post a pic of your Rega setup.

SandAndGlass and IRG like this.
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I just have a lowly Planar 2 ;), which was all I could afford at the time (3 years ago) when I was just getting back into vinyl. It was easy to use and set up so that’s what attracted me initially. I maybe should have gone for the Planar 3, but back then I didn’t know how I’d go.

I have upgraded the cartridge though, to an Exact, which is fabulous and as far as I’ll take this set-up. I live in a small-ish apartment so it’s suffice enough for now.

I’d like to upgrade probably to a Planar 6 or maybe an 8 one day and be done.

Bananas&blow, Morbius, trd and 3 others like this.
  17. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Light and rigid? Never heard that rule. But in all things audio rigs...you want no smearing of the sound....if you do have smearing, you lose fidelity. Especially on a turntable that has moving parts any way. It would only be fitting to have some place vibrations go and die. Density here aught to also mean mass which only makes sense especially in light of your pickup. Nip the vibrations at the block, means no smearing of sound...and if you have a great well constructed turntable you've taken your music up a few notches. And by the way....those blocks also do well under amps.

Morbius and Litejazz53 like this.
  18. Slippers-on

What's the weight of the Planner 8, Bob?

19. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Turntable Wall Bracket
    The ultimate in vibration isolation for your turntable.

The next generation of turntable wall bracket is manufactured from lightweight 3mm laser cut folded aluminum. This completely new design is 1.2kg lighter and more rigid than the previous model and is specifically designed to compliment the latest range of lightweight Rega turntables.

http://www.rega.co.uk/turntable-wall-bracket-1.html

20. Slippers-on

Oh..no wonder I've never heard of that rule. Ive never had even a inch of a desire for a wall bracket. I suspect with the mass-less of the Rega tables, adding the mass of a great platform does it good. I betcha one of the Pro-Ject mass loaded platforms would look extremely nice under a Planner 8. Kinda price, tho.

21. Slippers-on

Man I'm with ya here. Let's see some of those lovely picture of those Regs tables!

22. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I have a Rega P7 with RB700 tonearm. Probably 10 + years old. Has anyone compared against the new Planar series? This turntable has changed my view of belt TTs and belt drives. Its incredible, very musical especially with that RB700 tonearm and Denon DL-110 cart.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  23. Litejazz53

Don't apologize for your turntable, all Rega turntables are built with quality construction and engineering. Everyone has their price point they are comfortable with, instead post a good pic of your table, this is a Rega picture and discussion gallery, proudly post your turntable, we want to see! :agree:

MonkeyTennis, I-OD, IRG and 3 others like this.
  24. Litejazz53

How about this, the next time I take the platter off, I will pull the scale out and get that information for you, but I would be surprised it it weighs over 1.5 pounds, just the frame without the platter and spindle assembly, it's so light to the untrained person, we would say it's too darn light. I have never seen a turntable plinth this light, not even close, that's how light it is. :agree:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Litejazz53

Post a good pic, we need lots of pics!! :agree: