Do you stack or separate?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WhatDoIKnow, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it Thread Starter

Hi everyone and thank you in advance for your replies. Please bear in mind that I am new to the game, until last year my "stereo room" was my car, which I use a lot for work, so my ignorance about all things HI-FI goes a long, long way.

A few months ago I bought what I would not hesitate to call the audio equipment of my dreams.
    Amplifier and SACD player sit side-by-side on a lovely, lacquered piece of furniture which I inherited a few years ago so a stereo rack is, for the time being anyway, out of the question.
    A couple of weeks ago I added a turntable to the equation, and the turntable is big! 502 x 153 x 362 mm, to be precise, and the dust cover, once opened, adds to the depth.

Since the piece of furniture in question isn't large enough for me to sit all three elements on it, I started thinking about a wall mount or shelf for the turntable - and before you ask, no problems with footfalls or any such like - the floor is tiles and the wall is a perimetral wall, so no vibrations to speak of.
    Now, apart from the fact that possibly only the Hi Fi Racks Podium Platform can accommodate my turntable, my wife intervened and suggested we put the tube amplifier (a Cayin CS-55A, weighing 17kg) on top of the SACD player (a Pioneer PD-70AE), which is built like a tank and weighs 19kg but still...

What would you do? Buy the wall mount for the turntable and keep amplifier and SACD player sitting side by side on the lacquered chest of drawers, or have the amplifier sit on top of the SACD player and the turntable by their side?

I would like to attach pictures but I don't know how; I'll check how to do it and if needed I will post them.

Thank you for now!

2. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

My though is to wall mount a TT shelf and keep amp & sacd player as is for now ..

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  3. WhatDoIKnow

Thank you Swann36, I appreciate your suggestion.
    My wife keeps saying that "back then" ('80s and' 90s) CD players were always stacked on top of the amplifier, and I know she's right on that account.
    Still, I guess my main concern is will the weight of the amplifier somehow damage the SACD player? Also, the amplifier gets quite warm with use, so could that cause problems to the player?

4. mds

mds Forum Resident

Agreed with the above post. Don't stack the amp on the SACD. Much better side by side. Turntable on a wall mounted shelf is a common approach and works well. If there does become issues with vibration then you can address this with isolators under the turntable.

WhatDoIKnow and Audiowannabee like this.
  5. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Id NEVER stack the amp

Sacd player stacked w similar ex cdp bluray player

But never the amp

rcsrich and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  6. timind

timind phorum rezident

If the amp in question is the amp in your profile, I'd say do not stack it on the sacd player.

Tim 2 and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  7. mds

mds Forum Resident

My reasoning for not stacking: the cd player does not need the weight even if it is robust enough to support it, not the possible heat that might be generated from the bottom of the amplifier, and more important when the cd player is being used it is spinning a disc and a motor is running these both will generate noise and vibration which will be transmitted up to the amplifier, which is not good. By placing each component on its own surface you can additional isolation footers under each piece of equipment creating even greater isolation from vibrations.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  8. WhatDoIKnow

It is, yes.

9. WhatDoIKnow

Thank you for your advice, as I said this is all new to me and I would just like to do what's best for a stereo set up which is giving me much joy :)

timind likes this.
  10. WhatDoIKnow

Thank you mds, your reasoning is very well put and very convincing :tiphat:

11. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Stack components other than the receiver/preamp/amp... I figure the heat and/or field from the giant transformers in most amplifiers should be kept away from other components if possible.

WhatDoIKnow and Audiowannabee like this.
  12. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

As many have said stacking the amp on the SACD is not recommended - the least of all is the heat to the SACD player which will reduce service life - electronics do not like heat especially capacitors and other sensitive DACs that are often temperature controlled for best performance. Also, the amp transformer will have some vibration - audible or not and the SACD player is designed to minimize all influence of vibration for best performance.

However, have you considered adding a single shelf similar to computer monitor shelf - Monitor stand | Etsy . I bet Timber Nation Custom Furniture, Hi End Audio Stereo Racks and Isolation Platforms at Timber Nation. could custom you a nice single shelf that would elevate the amp above the SACD and complement your current furniture.

Just some thoughts

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Separate

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  14. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I disagree with the group here.

I'd never stack anything on top of an amp.

But on a sturdy CD or SACD player, yes.

Adds mass for stability, always good and all the heat goes up. SACD and CD players generate almost no heat, have no vents that need to be open to the air.

It won't hurt a thing to stack them, unless you have some flimsy cheap unit, which I doubt you do. Your wife is correct, yet again!

15. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I would get some pieces of wood to use as side rails and place a small piece of plywood on top and build a little shelf above the CD player for the amp to sit on. Not sure about in Italy but here in the US it would be easy to source and not cost much. Here in the States you can get 19mm (3/4") thick plywood that would be rigid enough to handle the weight of the amp

16. WhatDoIKnow

You have certainly made her day, Gibsonian! :D

timind and Gibsonian like this.
  17. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I have a beast of an SACD player, an old Sony totl. I have a heavy preamp and a phono stage on top of it now. And I've stacked a lot more on it in the past. It's fine as frog hairs.

TT, that goes on nothing but a shelf or a mass designed for isolation.

Glad that I could help validate your wife's thinking!

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  18. WhatDoIKnow

Which solves all problems: once the TT is on a shelf, SACD player and tube amp can stay on the piece of furniture side by side, everybody's happy

19. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

I have no advice per se .... but this ^^^ always makes me smile a little.
    A reminder of how much fun we had when we began this journey for ourselves!

Keep enjoying!

Hello from Central Canada :wave:

20. WhatDoIKnow

Thank you cat9 and hello Central Canada! :wave:

I've spent years collecting CDs, but also SACDs when the "loudness war" started, and lately vinyls (well, I had tons of them when I was young but I had to let them go during the years because I just couldn't take them with me wherever I went - and my parents saw nothing wrong with getting rid of them, but that's another story). Buying what I have now is a dream come true and a rather steep learning curve but hey, they say we never stop learning.
    So thank you all for teaching me something new every time.

cat9 likes this.
  21. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I'd say it was the other way around. At least, that's how I used to have them when I was young - amplifier on top. The amplifier needs plenty of room to breathe, anyhow.

Audiowannabee likes this.
  22. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Guess I missed that. Yes, folks did place CD players on amps but is ill advised. The other way around is good but not for a huge amp and a wimpy CD player. All depends.

Anthrax likes this.
  23. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Both. Right now I need to add a few things and rearrange(just set up 2 weeks ago). I built my MRS (Modular Rack System- 7 units, hand sawn plywood) to separate, but I have zero problem stacking if there are no vents (cd players, dacs, some pres, etc).

[​IMG]

The FRiNgE, Hendertuckie and rcsrich like this.
  24. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I've done just this in the past...at one point had a massive integrated amp and made a shelf for it above my CD player so it wouldn't roast.

Lenny99 likes this.
  25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

No stack for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.