Bad choices for lead-off singles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R79, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Bloody good one though!

2. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I came here just to post both of those. Stop reading my mind! :D

ARK, Exitmusic and Sean like this.
  3. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Fleetwood Mac's self titled, whether it be UK (Warm Ways) or US (Over my Head.)
    Badfinger's S/T lead single I Miss You, with the excellent Shine On waiting on the B side!!!!???
    edit: oops, that was the 2nd single. But Love is Easy is that forgettable and shouldn't have happened either.
    Sloan has a good record of picking lead singles except Keep Swinging.
    Almost every Pretty Things single of the 70's would have faired better with the B side as the A side. Over the Moon was a bad lead single.
    Weezer had some unfortunate lead off singles to good albums with Back to the Shack and Thank God for Girls.

badfinger54 and pwhytey like this.
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

"E-bow" will always be the first thing I think of. What a horrifically bad choice for a single.

All of these are good songs. Not sure what a better pick would've been..."Communication" is my favorite song on that amazing record, but it's too mellow to be a first single.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yup. I was actually just kidding. It IS a samba though. Most people don't realize that!

6. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

That was the single? :confused:
    Of all the potential top 40 hits on that album ...??

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Queen - Body Language

This is baffling, after their biggest hit singles and album in the US with The Game, then a huge Greatest Hits LP and a successful and credible Bowie collaboration they came back with that?!

I think if they'd come back with Calling All Girls the album wouldn't have been received or perceived so badly, with Body Language just being a strange divisive album track like Fun It or Don't Try Suicide.

ARod, downer, l-l-d and 14 others like this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I Do'wanna Know from REO Speedwagon's Wheels Are Turnin' record.

It's a good song but never felt like an obvious lead off single to me. If they wanted a rocker, Gotta Feel More or Thru' The Window would have been great ans Live Every Moment is the best pop song on the album.

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't for years! Yet is is the second it starts. There were some unusual influences in The Doors and Love including some many would have dismissed as easy listening.

10. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

I think that is a great single, and a great album opener as well. "Window" is too long and meandering. "Live Every Moment" would be a natural for a top 40 single though.

11. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Daysleeper from REM's Up was official notification that they had given up.

ARK, Galaga King, Wordnat2 and 5 others like this.
  12. Avenging Robot

I generally don't use the word, "disgusted" normally when describing my feelings on hearing a new song, but that's what I felt when I heard Get on Your Boots.

ARK, RandyP, 905 and 5 others like this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

We'll agree to disagree on that although it has to be said, my career as a record exec didn't last long. :D

Regardless of the singles, it's a great album!

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I liked that album but lost interest not long afterwards. I remember thinking Daysleeper was REM by numbers though.

fallbreaks, Ryan Lux and Two Sheds like this.
  15. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

"Before" from Pet Shop Boys' "Bilingual". The album itself is underrated, though.

16. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I don't mind it, but certainly no "Light My Fire".

Jimmy B. likes this.
  17. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

“Chocolate Cake” by Crowded House from Woodface.

18. R79

R79 Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Stand" off of Poison's Native Tongue. I dont think a Poison album was going to sell all that well in 1993, but at least pick a rocker like Aint That the Truth or Strike Up the Band to show off Richie Kotzen's chops.

Ivand likes this.
  19. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Jackson had great success with his previous album, didn't really need any support. First 2 singles on that went to #1 and also had 2 top 10s.

Jarleboy and ARK like this.
  20. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I love the song but Tusk by Fleetwood Mac seems a pretty poor choice for a single.

21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

People have mentioned The Girl Is Mine but I think I just Can’t Stop Loving You was equally uninspiring as the lead from Bad. I know it was a huge hit but it was still kind of boring compared to some of the other singles from the album.

22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Bob Dylan : Rainy day women

68reissue, jimmydean, sekaer and 2 others like this.
  23. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I just wonder if people though the rest of the album sounded like "That Girl Is Mine", really picked up traction when "Beat It" and "Billie Jean" were played.

24. R79

R79 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Another one comes to mind, Until It Sleeps from Metallica's Load. Not a terrible song, but King Nothing would have been a better choice (especially considering that for some younger fans, this was going to be the first Metallica song they heard, at least put the heaviest song up front).

bmoc79, ARK, Zoot Marimba and 5 others like this.
  25. Avenging Robot

...or if people just thought Michael was way out of line for hitting on Linda...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.