Ozzy Osbourne Blizzard of Ozz 40th Anniversary Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by veon, Sep 16, 2020.

1. veon

veon Forum Resident Thread Starter

izgoblin, artfromtex, fretter and 8 others like this.
  2. barnabyjames1

barnabyjames1 Forum Resident

Saw that. If they do an Ultimate Sin re-release, I might pick it up(as I'm a big fan of Jake E. Lee & loved this record).

3. miller_time22

miller_time22 Forum Resident

You Said It All is such an underrated track.

4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

so why just 1 song that is hard to get? where is the rest of the live EP?

MikeManaic61, ET3311, shaboo and 5 others like this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Pretty lame. The Osbourne camp has the entire 1980 Southampton show in the archives (a couple of tracks were pulled and used on Tribute, and You Said It All is from the soundcheck), plus Daisley has hours of tantalizing tapes from the Blizzard sessions in his possession. This was the time to make a deal with Daisley and release a 2-3 disc set comprised of the original album, outtakes, and Southampton.

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

What is Ozzy Live? Are the duplicate live tracks found on the Crowley EP (aside from You Said It All).

7. PacificOceanBlue

I suspect they are recycled from the Diary of A Madman bonus disc, subsequently issued separately on vinyl.

8. Ozzy Live was a bonus CD with the two disc 2010 or 2011 reissue of Diary of a Madman. It was also released on vinyl by itself.

9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Oh OK I have that. :)

I wish they would release the other Crowley EP tracks on this reissue.

10. UlisesLima

UlisesLima Forum Resident

I would like that they release again 30th anniversary box set for this anniversary.
    I missed that one, and now is very hard to find.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

yeah but that means paying bob some money

izgoblin, ET3311, Galaga King and 6 others like this.
  12. veon

And we all know Ozzy and Sharon don’t have the cash flow to afford that...

13. PacificOceanBlue

The interesting thing is that Sharon was willing to pay Bob money, a figure or arrangement he was okay with circa 2010. The issue is that Bob wanted involvement or control over the production of the music, which the Osbourne camp refused. That is what killed the deal.

14. veon

So would the inclusion You Said It All indicate that t
    things may be thawing in the between Bob, or is it unrelated? It was always curious that for all if the reissues, it (or the other Crowley tracks) never saw the light of day. Unless of course there was just disdain or ambivalence about the track.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

Wasn’t the EP reissued as part of the Ozzy vinyl box set?

fishcane and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Is it correct that only 1 song here has not been released on CD/Digital? Everything else was on the last box set and deluxe editions? If so, a missed opportunity for Randy/Blizzard fans.

One thing I haven’t followed up researching online is the recent A&E Ozzy bio. I swear there were a few snippets of Randy footage I had never seen. Just snippets still, but it would lead me to believe the Ozzy camp holds more footage than they’ve released. Anyone else notice that?

17. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I have to say this is disappointing. I was eagerly awaiting the 40th anniversary of these albums because it seemed like the best and perhaps last chance to see the O's camp really do a proper boxset of the era and focus on Randy Rhoads. The 30th anniversary set was decent, it included Ozzy Live which was mostly unreleased live tracks (I think the consensus is they were mostly from the unheard Indianapolis show). It also had a few outtakes and some pretty great unseen footage and cleaned up footage of Randy. I was quite happy with that set. Of course ten years on nothing else has really come. There is still the Southampton gig which has only been released in part, there is unreleased material from both Montreal and Cleveland (basically the stuff not on Tribute) and there is definitely more footage. The owner of the Capitol Theater confirmed there was Randy Rhoads footage with Ozzy that the O's camp bought. There was also snippets of various shows in Detroit that surfaced online a while back. Then there is the footage Randy's sister Kathy has told fans she has and is looking for the right opportunity to release it. Then you have things like Day on the Green which Bill Graham regularly filmed, but as far as I know no one has ever confirmed if Ozzy's set was filmed. Same with the Fresno concert in 1982, there is a guy who has uploaded tons of shows he taped in Fresno and on one tape it said Ozzy Osbourne and the show date. He said he had audio only, and then never bothered posting the audio, since he video'd every other concert and has not posted any audio only releases it seems a bit strange.

Anyways it seems like there is definitely enough material to culminate into a box set and that's without even mentioning Bob Daisley's stuff. I'm still holding out hope something will be done for the 40th of Diary to include this material, quite frankly waiting for the 50th seems ill advised, for one Ozzy might not even be around then, and I think a large portion of that fanbase will have moved on. Sadly Randy Rhoads doesn't seem to be getting discovered by new fans at the rate of some of the other bands from that era, so interest in a Randy era box set is unfortunately diminishing every year. Ten years from now their may be such a limited marketplace it won't be financially viable to release it.

18. PacificOceanBlue

Well stated. Blizzard is a seminal metal album and should be recognized and celebrated by an exclusive box set. It is disappointing the interested parties cannot come to an agreement (i.e. Daisley and the Osbourne camp) — they had 10 years since the 30th anniversary releases to prepare for this. And even if Daisley and the Osbournes can’t find a way to work together, there is existing material such as the aforementioned Southampton tape and likely other studio outtake material (RR can’t be the only piece of archival material the Osbournes have in their possession). Finally, it is sad that Randy Rhoads is becoming a forgotten artist — neither his estate nor the Osbournes have done much to preserve and promote his legacy.

19. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Yes, agreed. Randy is my favorite guitarist of the era/movement. I don’t think he’ll be forgotten as long as people love rock music. There’s plenty of young people on YouTube covering his music. That said, I think there’s more that could be done for his legacy, but what we have isn’t bad. There’s been plenty of books, magazines, instructional DVDs, and cd reissues. Unlike many other departed musicians, the Estate certainly hasn’t overdone things, that’s for sure. I’m surprised though, there’s absolutely no authorized official merchandise - no t-shirts, no posters, no nothing.

Sean, slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Matthew Tate

the other person who had plans to share Randy's music with the world passed away almost 15 years ago

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm still waiting for the release of the Daisley/Kerslake/Rhoads version where they went back to the multi-tracks and replaced Ozzy's vocals with Ronnie James Dio.

22. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Sharon does a fantastic job ... As long as that job doesn't include placating fans. She and Ozzy have an empire built on a formula and kudos to them for sticking with it. Personally, I don't see me spending my hard earned dosh on anything that ends up in their pockets.

23. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

You Said It All was on a 1988 promo CD single.

Terribly disappointing tracklist. Very lazy.

24. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Lazy doesn’t cover it. Literally no work went into this.

Purple, bataclan2002, Sean and 5 others like this.
  25. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident