The Kinks - Lola vs Powerman & The Moneygoround 50th anniversary... predictions, suggestions, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slop101, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Did anyone catch the description before it was taken down? Vinyl? AAA?

2. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I can't work out how to post the pack shot, so if anyone else wants to go ahead!

3. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The description is still there?

This set is a limited edition, lavishly packaged, 50th anniversary deluxe 10” book-pack of that album, containing many previously unreleased tracks and versions. Produced in association with The Kinks, with audio & visual content curated by Ray Davies. Matt laminated rigid slipcase featuring the original LP cover reproduced with foil and metallic silver finishes.

CDs x 3

3 x CDs: Original album new remaster from original HD master tapes, singles (stereo and mono mixes), B-sides, alternate original mixes, new medleys with Ray & Dave Davies spoken word commentary, new Ray Davies remixes & original session out-takes, previously unreleased session & live tape audio, instrumental & acoustic versions, previously unreleased demos & BBC material.

7” singles x 2

• ‘Lola / Berkeley Mews’ original Italian picture sleeve (Pye Records ‎– P 67.023). Reproduced artwork, remastered audio, black vinyl

• ‘Apeman’ / ‘Rats’ original Portuguese picture sleeve (Pye Records ‎– PATS 7010). Alternate audio version of ‘Apeman’, reproduced artwork, remastered audio, black vinyl
    Book

Deluxe 60 page, gloss-art hardback book with extensive notes, new band quotes, rare photos and memorabilia. Includes Ray Davies ‘1970 Diary’

Photos

4 x 5” sq, light card, gloss-art photos.

D2C exclusive products x 2 (free with box set orders):

7” Single: ‘Lola / Berkeley Mews’ original Danish picture sleeve (Pye Records ‎– 7N 17961). Reproduced artwork, remastered audio, clear vinyl

Badge: 1 x bespoke round metal & enamel pin badge (22mm diameter) using original album cover centre image:

The exclusive, free, 7” single and metal / enamel badge with every deluxe box set order are available only while stocks last.

WHILE STOCK LASTS

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

They took it down

5. aoxomoxoa

Spoken word commentary? ugh :(

6. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Interesting, the page is down for me--thanks for posting.

That all sounds fine and well but what I'm interested in is a vinyl reissue, not knick knacks. I have an original Pye that sounds really great but I'm still interested to hear what someone like Kevin Gray could do with a AAA release.

7. aoxomoxoa

This is one where unless the bonus material is overwhelming, I may pass.

croquetlawns and Revolver like this.
  8. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

For anyone who's having trouble viewing the page,
    [​IMG]

It looks like a reasonable price, with loads of goodies inside. But considering my local currency, it'll probably cost me 25% of my monthly wage, so... unboxing videos -wait for me!

9. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

All in, as always. Dang it, Ray and Dave...

Ern likes this.
  10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek Thread Starter

So nothing about a regular vinyl re-press?

11. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

I'm sure there will be a vinyl reissue...We haven't really had official announcement yet...Maybe tomorrow...

superstar19 and Jollero like this.
  12. Jollero

Jollero Well-Known Member

It's still unofficial, this leak, but the Box looks smaller than last year (less CDs, less 7's).
    I don't even compare with the Village Green from 2018.
    But, nice edition The packaging itself has a metallic cover.

13. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The link still works for me.

Jollero likes this.
  14. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

It's official in the sense that this is a listing on the bands official store, rather than an Amazon link, but yes, no official announcement yet.

Jollero likes this.
  15. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

It looks like Percy isn’t bundled with it this time. That’s a positive.

16. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

"B-sides, alternate original mixes, new medleys with Ray & Dave Davies spoken word commentary, new Ray Davies remixes & original session out-takes, previously unreleased session & live tape audio, instrumental & acoustic versions, previously unreleased demos & BBC material."

Based on the above wording I'm optimistic that this set will have more unheard material than the other 5oth Deluxe sets. I'm hoping for more than just the album tracks with the studio banter included.

chickendinna, ajsmith and jammincrowe like this.
  17. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly - they seem to have really struggled to fill out a third CD if they're resorting to spoken word commentary!

chickendinna likes this.
  18. crosscatch

crosscatch Forum Resident

Certainly that is curious.

19. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I've always wondered whether this was/became "Could Be You're Getting Old"?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    ajsmith likes this.
  20. Playing around with the site it looks like if you’re in the US they block the page, and this is because it’s not available to be sold to the US. You can try this by clicking on the link, changing the country to the U.K. and you’ll then see the product. Add it to your basket and change your country to the US and a notice comes up saying it’s unavailable in the US.

21. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

So this is a 10 inch package*, the Arthur box was 7 inches, and the VGPS box was 12 inches? Konsistently Inkonsistent or what?!

The description of the bonus material is so nebulously open to interpretation it’s hard to know whether to be excited or disappointed at this stage. Will await a track list before running my mouth off further. And of course I’ll be asking for it for Christmas, even if the only previously unreleased material on it ends up being a 2010 live recording of Ray singing Lola with the cast of Glee. The Kinks album mega box is a beloved Christmas tradition at this point.

*‘Fnarr fnarr’ - Finbar Saunders

22. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

The lack of 'Percy' here has me cautiously optimistic. Also, considering the fact that this one has no mono mix and they're still managing to get 3CDs out of it would seeeeeem to suggest some decent bonus material, spoken commentary aside.

23. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

"Lola", two different takes of "Apeman", "Rats" and "Powerman" all have mono mixes that were released on the 2014 Deluxe Edition, no doubt they will be reproduced here. Maybe some of the other songs have mono mixes as well? Dave Elmen's site does mention a mono mix of the US single version of "Apeman" that has the line "the air pollution is a-foggin' up my eyes" overdubbed to be sung clearer, so maybe that version will finally see a release on this set?

I'd love for some remixes from the multitracks as well. "Apeman" in particular has been in need of a good remix, I've always found Ray's vocals to be too low.

We'll no doubt see "Anytime" and "Good Life" show up again, just like they did in 2014. And the BBC "Lola" era stuff was only ever released on the mammoth Kinks At The BBC 5 CD set from 2012. While the VGPS box from two years ago had ALL of its BBC material present and correct, but the BBC Arthur material wasn't included on last year's box (EDIT: I take that back, only "King Kong" was released on last year's box).

croquetlawns and chickendinna like this.
  24. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Found the link to the vinyl gents!

The Kinks Store

This 50th anniversary LP release features the newly remastered original stereo album on black heavyweight vinyl in a carefully restored and replicated original gatefold sleeve. Includes a 12” booklet with comprehensive notes, new band quotes, rare photos and memorabilia. Features the hit singles ‘Lola’ & ‘Apeman’. Produced in association with The Kinks, with audio & visual content curated by Ray Davies.

[​IMG]

25. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Already seems to have been taken down