I finally listened to an Yngwie Malmsteen/Rising Force album today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stephen J, Jun 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Hope you're being sarcastic. :winkgrin:

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A bit, but I am surprised. I don't remember this record doing anything in the UK!

Unless you're being sarcastic about it going to number one and I'm just slow...

3. Devin

Devin Time's Up

His Concerto for Electric Guitar and Orchestra is fantastic. The high point of his career. Wish he'd do more in that style.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Too bad they were signed to a label that was using embezzled money, and the people who embezzled it were soon to be caught. There was no future for anyone on that label.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. Python

Python Forum Resident

The only YM album I ever bought was Trilogy in 1986...I was a guitar/hard rock fan, loved EVH who Yngwie was being compared to so much at the time, so I had high hopes. (I also subscribed to Guitar For The Practicing Musician magazine, which had probably run a couple transcriptions of his, and though I of course couldn't play them, I was impressed by the flurries of notes.)

Anyway, I gave it a few spins and tried to like it, but no luck...from the plodding opening single "You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget" all the way through to the final wanking, note-salad instrumental "Trilogy Suite Op. 5," the lyrics were cheesy and predictable and ridiculous ("Fire, I'm burning up with fire; Fire, feel it burning higher; Fire, I'm burning up with desire; You never play with fire!"), and the sterile guitar playing just left me cold.

Technically brilliant, to say the least, and I'm glad people enjoy it, but just not my cup of tea. Give me a sloppy Joe Perry or Jimmy Page or Slash solo any day of the week!

JasonA and Murph like this.
  6. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

True to a point. But I think Yngwie gets a bit of extra hell because of his public personality, ego, and (lately) taking swipes at former bandmates (mainly singers) to the point of diminishing equally talented people.

Fair or not, people seem to like a bit of humility mixed in even if someone has a strong personality/ego, especially when they talk about former colleagues who have their own fans.

So I think for some people (not all), trashing Yngwie’s music and style includes some unspoken dislike about who he is as a person... at least in how he presents himself publicly and how direct he is about himself and others. A bit of a double standard at times... we want celebrities to be honest, but if they’re too honest we can turn on them.

No skin off my nose how he behaves because I’m rather indifferent to him at this point, but if I were his manager.... well, I’d likely be quickly fired for some reason. Going out the door, though, I’d probably suggest he consider just a bit of filter in some of things he says. That shouldn’t affect how people see his music, yet I know it does in many cases. As an artist, I know I can’t please everyone, but I don’t need to alienate people either.

Could be totally off on that, though.

Yes, getting back to the music, I think the studio and live versions of that are terrific. His style is such a perfect match for orchestral music. I think I have the live DVD from Japan floating around here somewhere. It’s been ages since I watched it. I think I had to buy a region-free player at the time because it wasn’t available in any region outside of Japan.

mark winstanley and Devin like this.
  7. Devin

Devin Time's Up

I'm inclined to agree with you to an extent. Sometimes the man is just embarrassing. And honestly he became a caricature of himself long ago. Still, an amazing guitarist. Those early albums are the gold standard of neoclassical metal.

8. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Trilogy was my first Malmsteen album. Yeah, the lyrics left a bit to be desired, but I liked the songs overall. I have about 70 albums framed on the walls of my home office. Trilogy is one of them. Cool cover and it was my entry into neo-classical guitar. (I was a wannabe shredder back then.)

But the main thing I wanted to say was... Guitar For The Practicing Musician... what a great magazine!! I wish back issues could somehow be made available, even if they didn’t include the transcripts due to licensing after all this time. There was Guitar Player, and I think Guitar World might have been around then. But GFTPM was tops in my eyes. I threw all my old issues out years ago and I could kick myself.

This was one of many great issues which just happens to feature Malmsteen:

[​IMG]

mark winstanley, Curveboy and Devin like this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

But he does have great songs...here are 10 to get you started:

Bite The Bullet/Riot In The Dungeons
    How Many Miles To Babylon
    You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget
    Rising Force
    Devil in Disguise
    Crystal Ball
    I'll See The Light Tonight
    Fire
    Deja Vu
    Bedroom Eyes

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I had this issue. I also saw Yngwie the year before at the Beacon in NYC with Talas opening

I vaguely remember them jamming at the end but I can't find any confirmation of that and it seems like kind of an un-Yngwie thing to do...so maybe not.

11. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Also, speed IS all Eddie really has.

12. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Not trying to be insulting, but I hate this.

To me, it sounds kitsch, vulgar (using the original definition), over the top, and a bit juvenile. It really (IMO) has no class, or knowledge of classical music at all. It sounds as if nothing in classical music has progressed since 1840 (the date Paganini died).

And my opinion is coming from someone that is a fan of: classical music, metal, prog-metal, shredders, prog, classical influences in rock music. But Yngwie's attempt at fusing these elements. just fails on all levels, for me.

13. Devin

Devin Time's Up

I respect your opinion and that fact that the album is a fail to you. I myself enjoy it. My father (a lifelong jazz and classical music fan who despises rock in all forms) actually likes Yngwie's Concerto. He had high praise for the guitarist as a virtuoso soloist. Hated his other albums though. Of course.

14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Yeah. He does not have any slower melodic solos and hooks. He has no great chord structures with inner moving voicings. Oh, and lets not forget....he has no rhythmic skills as well. It is all just his speed. o_O

Oatsdad, Murph, Strat-Mangler and 2 others like this.
  15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Look I love Clapton, but in context with the point Devin is trying to make there.

Everyone saying that what Yngwie plays is too fast, no melody etc etc, is exactly the same kind of thing .. but as soon as we hit seventies players, everyone suddenly finds soul, perfection, melody, musicality....

It is a nonsense.... give me all of them, and let me choose what I like. If I don't like a player, so be it, there's no need for folks to perpetuate this crap about feel....

Sometimes I feel like stroking the wife's hair, and sometimes I feel like smashing down walls, both perfectly valid feelings ... or feels. To discount one because you have never felt that is fine, but that isn't an error with the players, or their value.

I don't like much Opera, but that doesn't mean it is soulless drivel

16. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

So do a lot of guitarists...the only SPECIAL and rare skill he has is his speed. But thanks for playing.

17. Rose River Bear

So, if it is not based on classical music structures and such, what do you think it rooted in? Are you saying that pieces such as the Sarabande and Tocatta are not classical based even though composers well past Paganini wrote pieces based on those forms?

Miles1968 and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Rose River Bear

Yeah just his speed is his only special skill. Man, a lot of fans just listen to him for his speed. Man, there are millions more shred fans than I realized. Thanks for the info.

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Glad I could help.

20. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

I appreciate his humility

Rose River Bear likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Rising Force off Odyssey.
    Not sure if it's your cup of tea or not.

22. Rose River Bear

I would love to do a SBS thread of that album but I could not stand the moronic abuse.

23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No to both. Haha! Babyface has 26 #1s, I think.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's a shame.

You should go for it though. U2 get slagged off a lot here and the recent U2 album by album thread went their entire career and hundreds of pages workout any abuse, nastiness or threadcrapping. It was a really good one. You'll probably find that people who aren't interested will stay away.

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know Babyface but didn't expect Clapton would have gone anywhere near him. I had Babyface down more for modern R'n'B, Janet Jackson and Madonna.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.