Gering back into vinyl, cartridge questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by coolhandjjl, Sep 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sounds_Good

Sounds_Good Active Member

you can share. I am sure many (including myself) would be quite interested in this.
    Thanks.

quicksrt likes this.
  2. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

`My own journey in this realm tends to push towards buying whats available currently. Vintage carts can be heaven, but it costs a lot of moolah to get them up to the full potential. I have a Shure V15 V and getting a new replacement stylus is more than I paid for the cartridge itself. YMMV, but I would start with something reasonable and make adjustments from that point. Once the needle drops, all the fancy stuff should disappear anyway.

coolhandjjl likes this.
  3. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus Thread Starter

I’ll run my Pickering XSV 3000 for as long as I can as it looks like it has the original factory stylus. I bought the thing as New Old Stock, all wrapped in the original packaging.

I’ll most likely sell the Pickering XV 15 625E as it does not have the original stylus.

So as far as an additional cart, I can see the value in buying new for the availability of stylus.

From what I have read in this thread, new carts have a snappier, modern tone quality. Is it possible to get that vintage 70’s sound, Marantz, JBL, etc, with a new cart?

4. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Probably could, just may take a bit of coin to get there. I know for a fact Denon MC carts come close to vintage Shure carts. Beyond that statement I would have to bow out to other opinions.

5. coolhandjjl

Moving Coil. May be too pricey for me.

6. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

FWIW, I recently bought a Parks Audio Puffin phono/line-level preamp which offers a lot of tasteful DSP flexibility by which you can tailor the sound of most any MM or MC cartridge to your liking.

That said, I don’t really subscribe to the notion that there’s such a thing as a “vintage sound” for a phono cartridge. In addition to the Pickering XSV3000, I have a couple of ‘80s era Audio-Technica 15XE cartridges fitted with NOS ATN-20SS Shibata styli and they sound no more “vintage” than my brand new Audio-Technica 540ML.

7. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

If everything is truly “new” and in good shape you should get several years of moderate use out of that combination (XSV3000 + D3000). I know I did. If you buy a new cartridge to alternate with it you’ll get even more mileage out of the Pickering.

8. coolhandjjl

My Pickering XV 15625E won’t fetch a lot on the market, might as well keep it then. It’s got an LPGear elliptical stylus on it. I can use it for beaters or throw a conical on it if that makes sense.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  9. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Can,t help it.
    I have been told!
    Can t help it.
    A poet
    And I don,t know it.
    Cheers!

morinix and Sounds_Good like this.
  10. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

PM me for links.

11. coolhandjjl

I see the Nagaoka MP-110, a 150, and a 550 in my price range. How do I choose what may be similar to the Shures and Pickerings of yesterday?

12. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

550? I've never heard of that in the Nagaoka range. A characteristic of the Shure's that I've noticed is their ability to track very well, which the Nagoaka will perform equally if not better at. I'd really just buy the most expensive Nagaoka you can afford, but I must say the MP-150 is the best value in my opinion.

coolhandjjl likes this.
  13. coolhandjjl

Not as expensive as I thought. I looked up the DL103, but it needs a preamp, of which I know nothing about for hi-fi. The DL110 gets great reviews and does not need a preamp. That one has my interest.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Can you just tell us what you liked best? Was the expense of the AT worth it to you?

15. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

I have the Nagaoka MP200 and enjoy it very much. It’s a very natural, almost delicate sound. Very much like a vintage MM. If you want something powerful sounding I would look elsewhere, it’s a little lacking in low end but I’m happy using EQ so it’s not a problem for me. it will bring out every sound of your record very well.

It really depends on what types of music you’re going to spend most of your time listening to. I also use Shure M44-7 which are DJ carts (well Jukebox carts originally) and I absolutely love them, they have a gritty, super punchy sound, probably twice the bass of the 200 which sounds fantastic with music like Hip Hop. They’ve stopped making them now which is a real shame.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  16. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

It’s a little early in the game to make a final value judgment but in the short time I’ve spent with the 540ML, and I’m not even sure it’s fully broken in yet, it’s been more than satisfactory.

My Pickering XSV3000 is old and the authentic D3000 Stereohedron stylus I experimented with is near, at or maybe past the end of its useful lifecycle. I’m going to have to reinsert the LP Gear VividLine in the not-too-distant future.

My favorite cartridge/stylus combo, mentioned earlier in this thread, is an Audio-Technica 15XE (I have two of them) with an ATN-20SS Shibata stylus (I bought several NOS when they were still readily obtainable and relatively affordable). Superb!

17. coolhandjjl

I just looked in my parts box, looks like I also bought a Shibata replacement stylus for my XSV 3000 from LP Gear a while back and forgot about it.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  18. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I have the vm540ml ... and it's fantastic.
    A bargain at 250 usd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.