The Kinks - Lola vs Powerman & The Moneygoround 50th anniversary... predictions, suggestions, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slop101, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

You need to switch to the UK store and then you can see the webpage. Not yet available in the US store.

In the lower left hand of the store webpage you can change the country, change it to United Kingdom (or Kinkdom if available).

astro70 likes this.
  2. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Link to the single CD version:

The Kinks Store

[​IMG]

This 50th anniversary Digipack CD release contains the original album new remaster from original HD master tapes plus alternate mono track versions & two new Ray Davies mixes. Includes booklet with comprehensive notes, new band quotes, rare photos and memorabilia. Features the hit singles ‘Lola’ & ‘Apeman’. Produced in association with The Kinks, with audio & visual content curated by Ray Davies.

3. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i've been waiting for this ever since getting back into vinyl 6 years ago .... i so NEEEEEEED thissssss lol

4. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Any track listings?

5. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

The Deluxe edition is back up on the website and I’ve just successfully ordered it. $A44 shipping to Australia but could be worse.

Mitchy likes this.
  6. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

What’s the link you used?

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'll be able to get this on vinyl at last! Great stuff.

johnnybrum, polchik and Timjosephuk like this.
  8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

And the double CD version:

The Kinks Store

[​IMG]

This set is a deluxe, 50th anniversary hardback book 2CD of that album, containing several previously unreleased track versions. Produced in association with The Kinks, with audio & visual content curated by Ray Davies. Contains the original album new remaster from original HD master tapes plus alternate mono / stereo versions & mixes, new remixes, live and film tracks. Extended booklet with comprehensive notes, new band quotes, rare photos & memorabilia. Features the hit singles ‘Lola’ & ‘Apeman’.

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

'film tracks'?

Percy could still be on this.

ajsmith and croquetlawns like this.
  10. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Great news! :goodie:

I was losing hope that it would come out this year. Now to wait for the contents, but three discs seems like a good figure (considering there is no mono version of the album this time).

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. A well respected man

I don't think so. It's probably just the Percy version of Lola.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

This one:
    The Kinks Store

I hope it includes the vinyl LP. Unclear from the blurb.

13. A well respected man

The price is around the same as the Deluxe Arthur, which had one more CD, two more 7", and more memorabilia, so not a very good deal. We'll have to shop around.

Timjosephuk, FJFP and croquetlawns like this.
  14. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

It couldn't be much worse!

15. donl

donl Forum Resident

any track listing?

16. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Is this thing not being released Stateside?

17. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

US links will probably be back up once the set is actually announced.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  18. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I didn’t say it was good value. It’s not. But I’ve lost count of the online orders I’ve cancelled at the payment stage after finding the postage cost nearly as much as the product.

croquetlawns likes this.
  19. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I’ve read the Deluxe blurb again and nowhere does it indicate the vinyl LP is included. It does say that the slipcase includes a special replica of the LP cover.
    I guess this is so people still buying CDs aren’t put off. But for those of us who’ve switched (back) to vinyl it means we have to fork out for the Deluxe box and the double LP if we want everything except the CDs...Expensive!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    croquetlawns likes this.
  20. John Fever M.D.

John Fever M.D. Forum Resident

Any indication of AAA on the vinyl? I am really looking forward to this. It's my fave Kinks title and clean vinyl copies are expensive. I hope this release goes smoothly!

astro70 and ODShowtime like this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

What is the general consensus regarding the remastering quality of these 50th Kinks releases?

FJFP likes this.
  22. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

FWIW, I've been happy with them. The great crisp snare sound persists across them.

What I find weird is VGPS was a 12" box, Arthur was 7", and Lola 10"...

I'm mixed on this, especially audio dialogue from Ray and Dave. We'll have to see.

To be fair, as I'm getting Wildflowers next month, my wife is still after a Christmas set, and releasing in December? Perfect!

supermd and croquetlawns like this.
  23. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Only just noticed the mention of ‘Ray Davies 1970 diary’ in the listing :0

FJFP likes this.
  24. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to seeing the track listing.The idea of spoken dialogue scares me a little, so at this stage I'm leaning towards the 2 CD version - only one CD less and about half the price.

25. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I missed that too! The books in these sets are always where I'm very excited - Arthur was great!

If they've found the master tape for the single mix of Apeman I'll be happy - the mix on the Deluxe was a bit crunchy. Once we have tracklistings we'll be able to make more decisions for sure - the 2 Disc looks like it'll be pretty good imo.

Looks like the Apeman 45 is the international alternate take, which is a nice touch.

Shawn, ajsmith and croquetlawns like this.