David Bowie CONVERSATION PIECE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

we need more material to hear during this period

croquetlawns likes this.
  2. StarCrazy

StarCrazy Well-Known Member

The 2019 mixes are fantastic. Really really something special. In an older thread I saw people complaining that they gave it to Visconti, but listening to the results I feel like its really hard to question it.

I also saw some people complain about Space Oddity. Really? I understand if there's some specific aspects missing. But if you A/B the track to earlier versions - its really obvious what sounds better overall. The pan alone in the 2019 makes a huge positive difference. Having a modern stereo soundscape is a godsend.

The rest of the album is very lively and again I think the new stereo setup makes so much difference to how the compositions actually sound. Its like the voicing of the music is finally aligned properly and its much easier to hear whats going on in terms of harmony and melody.

3. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I still hope so.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  4. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a vinyl conversation box in a few years!

5. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Just to make sure the 7” boxes are completely redundant! o_O

CBackley and footprintsinthesand like this.
  6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Random sets will have gold or silver vinyl!

7. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Unsure. This just arrived for me today, about $63 shipped while maximizing some Memorial Day discounts. Worth every penny, even more. All I can say is that it would be an interesting trajectory to continue with albums (or years as has been suggested) in this format because the presentation is absolutely stunning. The problem is that the Bowie reissue catalogue has been rather haphazardly curated prior to the recent box sets, only to go off on this new tangent.

The material is a function of how one feels about the period in question. I'm all good with Conversation Piece.

8. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Yep, that certainly is a problem with the Bowie catalogue post Ryko.

Cat People likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wow - for some reason, this release complete escaped my radar.

I think I believed it was vinyl-only and I paid no attention! :hide:

Please indulge a lazy old man who doesn't want to read 27 pages: could someone tell me how much of this set's material is unique to it?

I have the 2-CD issues of the 1967 and 1969 albums - what unique material appears here?

Thanks!

SJP likes this.
  10. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Primarly lots and lots of home demos - most of it was unreleased and appeard last year before Conversation Pieces in those 7' boxes and the overpriced Mercury Demo release.
    Plus: 12 of them are exclusive to Conversation Pieces.

You also get the 2019 Mix of the Space Oddity Album and some live stuff that was released previously. The Top Gear live session from the 2-CD 1967 Album is here and some stuff from Bowie at the Beeb aswell

Overall: Its a good set if you like that period of Bowies carrer. It can be quite fascinating hearing all the demo stuff and then how they turned up on the finished album.

skisdlimit, Bink, SJP and 1 other person like this.
  11. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

And don't forget the book itself which is value for money

CBackley and Bink like this.
  12. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Have a look at an unboxing video! I’ve not watched this one but skipped forward and it does show bits of the book which is a really nice part of the box.

fishyboots and Oatsdad like this.
  13. CBackley

The book is gorgeous. I didn’t consider ordering this set until I saw the unboxing videos and read reviews.

fishyboots and Bink like this.
  14. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I agree. The quality of the book, in terms of paper type, amount of text and pictures, as well as how the CDs are housed in the sleeves are quite similar to The Beatles White Album super deluxe set if that helps.

alexpop and CBackley like this.
  15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Honestly, you're under-selling the book. It simply amazing. They spared no expense in its publication. Yes, I was in for the music, but damn - the book is every bit as important and impressive, imo.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

This is my least favorite part of Bowie's career. As many already know, I can't stand the 1967 album, and the 1969 album is also low on my scale.

But...

I'm enough of a dopey collector that I might get it anyway! :sigh:

What's a good price? It's $70 on Amazon US right now...

fishyboots, Markyp and CBackley like this.
  17. You said it all.

Colocally likes this.
  18. CBackley

That’s a good price.

fishyboots and Oatsdad like this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm still dragging my feet on this. The problem is I'm paying for a remaster and remix I already have (and in the case of remix I dont even like), plus BBC stuff I already have too, so I'd be paying 70 for 2 discs of demos and such. Was holding out for Amazon warehouse scratch and dent $30 job. Maybe I just don't need it.

croquetlawns likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Think it’s more superior packaging to the Beatles White A.

Bink likes this.
  21. CBackley

Just download the demos from iTunes or something. Then you at least have the material in your collection.

22. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I'm really loving this 2019 remix. Bought the 1 CD version but want it on vinyl too. The addition of "Conversation Piece" makes the album even better. Have the 2009 double and the Ryko aswell, but this remix is my favourite.

Looking forward to the remix of TMWSTW.

CBackley, xj32, croquetlawns and 3 others like this.
  23. nick jones

Tmwstw box only in 2021

24. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Based on?

25. nick jones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.