Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2020 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

You and I are gonna be good friends. I am the official spokesperson for 1978 in the GD threads here on SHF, and have converted a few folks to the Righteous Perspective. :wave:

frightwigwam, trd, DrLunchbox and 6 others like this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Definitely, I was referring to the past several years (i.e. Dave's Picks and the July '78 box). Like you said, there are other 1978 releases, plus some great ones via Dick's Picks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. E()

E() Cat Herder

I saw the Hershey show and would get this box if it ever surfaced.

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I posted this a while back in the main GD Thread re: 1978—

There’s an anger, a rawness, an urgency to their playing in ‘78. It’s like they’re balancing on a knifes’ edge with their playing and the wheels could go flying off at any minute! It’s dangerous and I friggin’ love it. This year has proper peaks and troughs, much like life itself. Nothing is ever perfect. Especially with the Dead.

‘78 is a new and awesomely aggressive-sounding Dead.

5. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

I had a 78 epiphany a few years ago and now it's one of my favorite eras. Easy to dismiss it as a rebuilding year after 77, and there's that whole, err, Egypt thing, but 78 has some truly excellent shows and is often gnarlier and jammier than 77!

6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Well, I know US Blues won't agree with me, but I dismissed '78 for a long time due to the (to me) noticeable drop in quality that started about halfway through the year. This is the first year where I find Jerry to be sloppy or uninspired in his soloing.

Combined with the fact that (hot as they are), a lot of the spring shows are a lot more "conventional" than the shows from 1977 (i.e. they were starting to solidify the songlist and set structure that they would basically stick with from then on out), I slept on the 1978 (the first six months, anyway) for a long time.

7. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

IWT. Great show other than the Terrapin where Jerry just gets lost vocally.

trd and footlooseman like this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Same. They just seem to want to get far out the later you get into the year and quite frankly the drugs just weren't the same. ;). Actually I’m down with everything thru the spring. The Red Rocks shows are pretty great though.

trd, uzn007 and US Blues like this.
  9. US Blues

It has been noted that the addition of Drums > Space changed the character of second sets, especially in April '78 when the larger drum set-up debuted on stage. In 77 and early 78 there was more flow in the song selection and presentation which has great merit.

My experience of listening to shows from '78 in relationship to '77 is that 2 key songs- Estimated Prophet and Terrapin Station had matured tremendously which lent them both an added 'gravitas.' I also find that Jerry's playing once he went back to the Wolf offers a more compelling listen, I find his work to be more exploratory, deeper, and overall interesting. The result of the gravitas and exploratory playing by Jerry leads the band into spaces that they did not traverse in 77.

As for the latter part of 1978 our listening suffers from inferior quality recordings that do not afford a depth of hearing that the Betty Boards offer. And yes, the dynamics within the band were becoming strained, and the drug use also had an impact. And still the band found itself on great peeks later in the year, which carried into the beginning of 1979.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  10. Andrew Stasiuk

Andrew Stasiuk Well-Known Member

I would love Dave’s 36 to be 4/16/78 but I have a feeling it’s going to be 6/10/73 or 9/28/75. I just jumped on the early Spring 78 bandwagon. I’m hooked.

11. US Blues

Welcome to the fun house! :wave:

PS- We're saving 16 April 1978 for the "April '78 Box Set."

Woodville, frightwigwam, trd and 4 others like this.
  12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

6/10/73 = 4 discs; not happening. 9/28/75 already released in porch crusher.

trd, uzn007, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:drool:

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

All 14 shows?! ;) That’d be something!

15. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Gravitas! :cheers:

notesofachord and US Blues like this.
  16. Andrew Stasiuk

Give us a taste. What will the 36 be?

uzn007 likes this.
  17. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

I still vote 10/21 as my favorite show of the year (not to bring up the cut in Stella again). I voted it as one of my 5 favorite shows in the other thread, though I'm the only one who did. According to the masses, 7/8/78 was the favorite.

frightwigwam likes this.
  18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Do people actually care about the cover art? I cannlot remember the last time I looked at one after the uwrapping. The music and the liner notes do it for me.

Wouldn' it be greatif they could include the Allmans?

US Blues likes this.
  19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

10/18/72

20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

It’s already posted up-thread ;)

frightwigwam, uzn007 and US Blues like this.
  21. Archtop

A more logical choice, given that DP 36 was 9/21/72, is 9/28/72. A show that Dick held in high regard. Now that it's been postulated that it's logical, we know it won't happen. 10/18/72 was my alternate take (and Dick held this in very high regard as well). I don't really want that because I want a Fox Box, but maybe that can't happen.

22. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

My primary period for seeing live Dead was 76-78 in the Bay Area. A few shows after that but not many. So I like that period; and have genuine amazement at the Scarlet to Fire at Cornell. Having said that; I have really become a fan of 72-74.

23. Archtop

Welcome to the madness. I don't believe that I've seen you post here, but an appreciation for '72-'74 is a really good way to kick things off. :cool:

Check out The Grateful Thread

24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

10/28/72? Confirmed? Lol. Ill celebrate that by working my way up to it starting three days ago and playing each show on its anniversary until the announcement. :)

uzn007, bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Andrew Stasiuk

10/25/73. It is known and written in the stone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.