What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Doooh! Wish my typing hand wasn't permanently damaged. Don't have a sleeping disorder and fall into walls. Kids!

2. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

This is for Americans, Delia Smith is an English, celebritiy, television cook.[and author.]

Mr. Bewlay and uzn007 like this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah, Dave was going to do it but he got stuck in Traffic.....

I'll get my coat. :)

4. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Now THAT I would have paid to see!
    (The man wrestling a shark I mean)
    :winkgrin:

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  5. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Haven't read all the entries so don't know if this has been mentioned.

Johnny Cash did not have a full first name until he joined the air force and had to write a name on the form

His parents couldn't decide on a name and called him J R Cash, which he used as a legal name for his songwriting credits.

Thanks to Ken Burns' Country Music series for that gem.

6. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I guess Dave Mason didn't give a damn.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    carlwm likes this.
  7. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Wayne Shorter’s wife also perished on that flight.

8. MrCJF

The lyrics of Sympathy for The Devil certainly scan as extra stanzas of The Owl and The Pussycat

bagofsoup and bRETT like this.
  9. MrCJF

Not quite, as the case was thrown out fairly quickly.

10. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

In the fields the bodies burning,
    Fa la la la la, la la la la

11. MrCJF

I was reading Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook to my kids for years without realising it was written by the same guy who wrote the Johnny Cash song I listened to millions of times in my dad's car when I was a kid.
    I saw an animated video of "25 Minutes To Go" (that Silverstien wrote for Cash) that looked like Silvertstien's style of drawing.

uzn007 likes this.
  12. MrCJF

13. Atmospheric

I saw the Gill fronted PPL live. They opened for somebody. I forget who. Meh.

In keeping with the trivia theme, this is a few years after I met Vince personally back stage at the Shrine Auditorium when he was in Vassar Clements’ band. We’re the same age. Very regular guy.

carlwm likes this.
  14. Atmospheric

I think all the Swaggarts are first cousins.

rodentdog and Keith V like this.
  15. Atmospheric

According DLR, the M&Ms clause was put in the rider as a way to tell if the promoter actually read the contract.

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I thought it was interesting the Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers bassist Ron Blair's sister Janice was married to Gregg Allman at one time.

17. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

And Kevin Ayers shagged the aforesaid Mrs Cale the night before he, Cale, Eno and Nico performed and recorded “June 1 1974“ together. Cale referred to it in a song, Guts, recalling how “the bugger in the short sleeves ****ed my wife”

Jonny W likes this.
  18. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Who wasn't?

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  19. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

We would have had duets.

You ain't nothing but a hound dog
    (Not me, man!)
    Crying all the time
    (Come on, I never...)
    You ain't nothing but a hound dog (Now, I’m telling you...)
    Crying all the time
    (Can’t believe this)
    Well, you ain't never caught a rabbit (Did, too—once)
    And you ain't no friend of mine
    (How do you like that? Now listen:
    When they said you were high class)
    I am, man.
    Etc. Etc.

As for trivia, one of my favorites is that the beginning of “Obla-Di Obla-Da,” came after Lennon had left the session for a while because he was tired of waiting for McCartney to come up with the beginning of the song; Lennon returned after having a drink or two, and proceeded to sit down and bang out the familiar (to Beatles fans) piano-chord intro and announce, “That’s the beginning of “Obla-Di Obla-Da!” (Paraphrasing here; I think this is in Geoff Emerick’s book.)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  20. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Good lord...I never knew that about Axelrod. The LPs he recorded under his own name in the late 60s-early 70s were brilliant. I love the Lou Rawls song he produced, "Love Is A Hurtin' Thing".

pmdclassics likes this.
  21. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

But it was incredibly well rehearsed!

22. Atmospheric

I was at that concert. That’s not how it went down.
    I was at that concert. That's NOT how it went down. Here's what I remember...

8-28-1976, Santa Monica Civic
    The bill that night was Spirit (headlining) with Firefall (opening). Mark Andes played in both bands, so that was the connection.

During Firefall's encore, a very drunk or wasted Neil Young ambles on stage with a guitar and just proceeds to count the band in to some random song. He doesn't mention which song or the key... He just counts in and starts playing. The band did their best to keep up. After that song finished, Rick Roberts says, "Now instead of playing 'stump the band,' we're going to play 'stump Neil.'" Anyway, that's how obnoxious Neil was that night.

Spirit plays their set. Their first encore was Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone." Neil joins them but is still very drunk or wasted (or whatever) and tries to sing right over the top of everybody. At one point, Neil drifts over to Randy California's mic while he's singing a verse and tries to muscle in on things. Randy pushes him away... with great prejudice. He was obviously pissed. At the time, I can't say I blamed him, but it was a horrendous PR gaffe for Randy. It just looked REALLY bad. There were plenty of boos from the audience. Some folks still haven't forgiven him.

After the concert, John Locke, who was a close friend of (Producer) David Briggs and Neil, quit the band on the spot. Jay Ferguson and Mark Andes followed him out the door.

23. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I've seen this bluegrass record a couple of time at thrift's and/or estate sales..

Jimmy Henley - One For The Record

it's by a supposed 12 year old banjo phenom and Vince plays bass on it. He pictured on the back cover wearing a baseball shirt and a pair of headphones.

Atmospheric likes this.
  24. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Speaking of Mark Andes, his father, Keith Andes, was an actor. Among his roles was Akuta, the leader of the blonde-haired natives who were the "feeders of Vaal" in the Star Trek episode "The Apple". David Soul also played one of the natives.

elaterium, Archtop and Atmospheric like this.
  25. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Yeah. He even thought he killed somebody in a brawl. Got tabbed one time. I guess the stories he told were amazing. One of those guys who knew all of LA's seedy excesses. Just an amazing cat. So sad he's gone now.

CliffL likes this.