Denon dp-57l replace phono output cords

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by I_Wanna_Rock, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_Wanna_Rock

I_Wanna_Rock Member Thread Starter

The left channel on my newly acquired TT went out. I know replacing the factory RCA cables would be a place to check for starters, but even that looks like I will really need to disassemble this unit pretty far. I can't really tell from the exploded view diagram, but it would seem removing table from top, (there are 4 screws under rubber platter I'm looking at. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all very much
    -John

2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I would have thought you need to remove the bottom and not the plate but I've never worked on one of those. If you need to place it upside down make sure to put a towel under the TT to avoid scratching the wood.

I_Wanna_Rock likes this.
  3. I_Wanna_Rock

Thanks, I bet you are right. I just couldn't imagine flipping it... I suppose I could use 4 small blocks, (w towel) in a square pattern around the table. There is a panel on the bottom side also; it's just hard for me to tell from exploded view the order of assembly and I've never worked on a turntable this nice, or many at all for that matter
    -John

4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I don't know in yours but most TTs of the types would have a relatively easily accessible board where the internal tone arm cable is soldered and then some copper tracks lead to the connections of the external phono cable. This board is often covered by a metal plate/box that would be attached with a couple of screws. For extra safety and less weight do remove the platter and be mindful of the tonearm. In most cases changing the cable should not be too hard, I hope everything goes well. I doubt I need to say it but just in case, put the acrylic cover far away in a safe place while you do this. Among many other problems, a bit of hot solder splashing on it will ruin it.

I_Wanna_Rock likes this.
  5. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

First remove the mat and the platter, then latch the tonearm (if it doesn't have a latch, tie it to the arm rest with a piece of thread, or a twist tie). If you have the dust cover, you can rest it upside down on a towel or a blanket. If not, rest it upside down on a soft pillow.

I_Wanna_Rock likes this.
  6. I_Wanna_Rock

Thank you very much!
    -John

7. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

You're welcome. Good luck. I have the DP-57L's little brother - a DP-37F. Even though the stock cables are functional, I am contemplating removing them and installing a pair of RCA jacks on the back of the table. My Harman Kardan T60 came that way, and I modified a Technics SL-1401 to add the jacks. That gives me the flexibility to use the cables of my choosing in the desired length.

I_Wanna_Rock likes this.
  8. I_Wanna_Rock

I was able to lay it over gently on dust cover and remove bottom panel for access. The left channel, (which is out) ohms out as O.L. from center tip of white RCA jack, to other end of white wire, soldered on board. Same test with right side red wire, ohms out as 2.1 ohms. Both L & R ground wires ohm as 0 ohms. Not sure if this is proper way to test this as it's still soldered to the board? I'm really hoping it is the cable as I can do that. Hanging it up for today, but at least I got in the darn thing!
    -John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.