Do you stack or separate?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WhatDoIKnow, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it Thread Starter

That's the perfect man cave!

Ilusndweller likes this.
  2. WhatDoIKnow

Yes, when I was looking at the Pioneer PD-70AE online, lots of photos showed it on top of his "sister" amp - you know, same design, same size etc. I remember thinking "I don't think I would like to stack them like that" but then, what do I know?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  3. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

and my parents saw nothing wrong with getting rid of them, but that's another story).....Indeed :shake:

You are quite right! When someone stops learning that is his/her choice.
    I've long decided to be a lifelong learner....at 60 I have a LONG way to go and plenty to learn.

This is a great Forum full of very sincere and knowledgable folk!
    But you may come across someone at some point who calls you out on a choice you have made.....don't let that deter you. If you have researched that decision and feel comfortable with it....then hold fast.

I just got ridiculed for a speaker search I am on.....I placed a "Wanted" ad and some guy responded with attitude and arrogance that I must be nuts for wanting to look into this particular speaker (model and lineup).

To each his/her own.....his rudeness hasn't deterred me!!

Stay safe and enjoy the audio journey you are on!!!

Tim 2 and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I dress left.

5. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Those ribbon speakers look delish! What model are they, I'm thinking not Apogee?

WhatDoIKnow and Ilusndweller like this.
  6. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

All my best on your new turntable. I have been playing records for many decades, and still love the sound and experience. Aside from this discussion, vinyl is always a high reward, higher risk format, and a learning curve and patience are both needed to "give it a chance" to absolutely become a joyous experience.

If the only option is to stack, it does no harm to place the amp on top of a digital player. My suggestion however is to build (or purchase) a lacquered piece of furniture suited for the gear. Personally I prefer to spread out as opposed to stacking in cubicals.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  7. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Thanks! This is my first house (at 50, moved in about 2 weeks ago) and just a small modular home built in a factory that came in two pieces on two trucks(Unibilt Homes Lakeside but with 12 pitch roof for future BRs upstairs). But I did pick it out and slightly modify it (got rid of 4' wall by front door and no tiles by front door, with one thing in mind. My stereo. I was concerned that the combined living/dining room would not be big enough for my Carver Amazings (which had been stored in a basement 2 houses up for nearly a year after I bought them) to "breathe". But I am convinced it is. I am beyond thrilled with these speakers. I used to record concerts and with these speakers, it is like my listening area is a recreation of the venues I recorded in. It makes commercially available studio CDs sound much more "live". Id heard these speakers been described as "larger than life" (or something like that) and that is a great description. If one has the space. Id say the approximately 16'x26'x8' (plus an open kitchen area right there as well) is enough room. I never considered it my mancave though (but now I do and now I have 2 mancaves). Here is my original mancave. All wood (minus plywood sides/roof) is either from the house I tore down (me, myself and a sledgehammer, a single final whack took down the front room followed by a single final whack to take out the remainder of the house. Yes the remainder of the house was held up by a single 2x4 on one side, as was the front room, good times) or 70% off wood (usually warped, sometimes cracked) from Home Depot. Cathedral ceiling held together with mend plates, and a loft. Most wood was hand sawn. Had I not been a climbing bum for 3 years there is no way I could have built this(minus getting the roof plywood up, me, myself, and I). I will be adding a solar panel/battery next year and putting in a 2.1 (maybe 2.2) setup. Current setup is a Sonic Impact T amp powered by 8 AAs that is biwiring some JVC speakers and a $2 thrift portable CD. I know, not the most ideal setup. :) Those are the Carver Amazing boxes on the left.

//They are Carver Amazing Silver MK4 (last/best model of Silvers, the Amazing Platinums had 4, 12" and a 60" ribbon, not 48")purchased from original owner who bought them in 92. Open baffle ("sleeve" covers 3, 12", ribbon is dipole as well). Original owner replaced the 12" with Simply Speakers' replacements a couple years ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  8. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I don't stack...

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  9. WhatDoIKnow

Quite cryptic but I am honoured, and this gives me the chance to thank everyone who responded to this thread. People's approach here is key to my wanting to participate and learn. Thank you very much @cat9 for your sympathy and wise words, thank you @Hendertuckie for your suggestion (a rack is out of the equation for the time being), thank you @The FRiNgE, that's what I am going to do, the Satin White of the shelf from HiFiRacks will hopefully complement nicely the satin white finish of my Magnat loudspeakers, thank you @Ilusndweller, way to go man! :righton:and thank you @Ntotrar - is that a Rega wall mount? Also, I love your "no stacking" stance and your laptop is sitting comfortably on top of your TT's dust cover, my wife would have my head for that! :D

cat9 likes this.
  10. WhatDoIKnow

11. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Hi:

As far as I’ve read, it’s not a good idea
    to stack Components.

If you stack Speakers (if you have 2 pair) your prob going to be out of phase.

In my opinion the prob in stacking On amp concerns the dispersion on heat. That not good for an amp.

Though other components do not give off as much heat, stacking them has other drawbacks, though not near as bad as stacking anything on an amp.

So, as others have said don’t stack if at all poss. And if becomes a necessity, don’t stack on top of the amp.

It’s funny that I see a lot of people stack their TTs on their amp. Prob a leftover from the old days when the amp turntable were built that way on low cost systems.

good luck.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  12. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Upon purchase, my TT was a little to long for my stand. I knew this prior to buying the TT, so I had a plan all ready.

I grabbed my wife’s large butcher block cutting board. She never used this one, too big. I gave it a good cleaning, added 4 large self sticking round pieces of felt, and onto them, smaller round pieces of clear, hard rubber. Ask purchased at my neighborhood $ General. Thus I wound up with a nice TT stand/ledge that is very isolated.

13. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Never stack any Equipment if You want to be sure to get the best out of it. An absolute no go is stacking anything on an amplifier.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I guess I’m guilty of stacking! Rest assured the laptop isn’t there when using the turn table. Yes it is a Rega wall mount.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  15. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Un-stacked (just for you) :)...

Mr.Sign likes this.
  16. WhatDoIKnow

Thank you Ntotrar, I'm touched :tiphat: My wife would approve, looking really neat now!
    I need to learn to remove the dust cover from my turntable when I play vinyls... The cage covering the tubes on my amp is constantly off, must remember to do the same for the TT

Ntotrar likes this.
  17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Tube cage remains (except when I check the bias) due to my sweet but curious cat. I couldn't bear to think of her getting burned. I still recommend not stacking even though I do land the laptop on the TT dust cover when I'm not playing LPs. Thank you for keeping it real! -Rick

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Stack em and whack em.
    I avoid stacking components but do not hold it against anyone that chooses to.... except if there is ANYTHING on top of a turntable when not in use.

james likes this.
  19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Hasn't been a problem so far...

20. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

I stack (pic not mine)

[​IMG]

user119861 likes this.
  21. WhatDoIKnow

Good Lord Paul_s, that's... impressive? :yikes:

22. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Best not to stack electronic components on top of one another...they give off a lot of heat & may likely get damaged. I know you already received your answers, but I wanted to add (in the event others might go though a similar situation): I just went through this recently b/c I wanted to have a DVD player in the kitchen. Due to cabinets above & limited counter space, not enough room for cable box, tv & DVD player to sit side-by-side. I learned though a recommendation on another thread here to get 2 x 4's/lumber to sit one on, but I read a lot of reviews complaining that studs weren't of equal size & needing to shave them. So, I researched online & found that others' have used hockey pucks. And, that's what I've done. 2 hockey pucks either side on top of cable box & sit the DVD player on top. There's about a 1" H & the diameter is about 3" ea...enough air-space for the heat to disperse. :thumbsup:

23. WhatDoIKnow

That is ingenious, LilacTeardrop!
    Thank you, I am always open to suggestions. As a matter of fact, I have this terrible tendency to change my mind time and time again until I have found exactly what I think is the perfect solution to my problem, so no suggestion is too late. Actually, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had to face this kind of problem. Before I opened this thread I would have moments when I'd ask myself "why didn't you think about the problem before you bought the turntable!?"
    Now I know a bit more and I have a few options in front of me.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  24. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Tail end of the good ES (92-93).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.