Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

croquetlawns likes this.
  2. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

That is very odd - I've never been asked to provide a passport number for a non-travel related online purchase! I'm not sure I'd be too comfortable with the idea...

Mike6565 and TonyACT like this.
  3. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Damn you, it dropped below $50 and I couldn't resist. Trying to branch out and find new composers, so this should be a good set to dive in to.

TonyACT and croquetlawns like this.
  4. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

NIF is tax identification number = national identity document. It's required when you make purchases, usually with high value, in European Union. That document, in particular, is used in Spain (and I have it). You can use DNI-NIF to move inside Shengen Space like a passport.

Luisboa and TonyACT like this.
  5. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Lucky you got in first. I saw the price drop and was going to get it tomorrow if no on else did in the meantime. I was weighing this up next to a Milhaud box, so have now bought the latter ;)

Glad you bought it - it has excellent reviews

6. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

I get the feeling that most of the people looking at the Amazon Oz website for classical bargains are in this forum.

The 10CD Freiburger Barockorchester set which TonyACT ordered, then cancelled, fell from $76 back to $14.95 so I snapped that up.

So in this small world it is which of us bites first.

7. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

JPC and Amazon DE have the Brilliant set for 60€ + shipping. Not a bad price either, thought this price on Fnac.es is unbeatable (depending on the shiping costs to USA).

Side note: when ordering from fnac.pt the packiging is not that good. Its good enough for a day trip inside the country and I never had a problem, but Im not sure it would resist a intercontinental Journey without damage.

Mike6565, croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  8. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

It really is interesting how much of an impact this forum has on the prices and stock levels.

I wonder if the constant searching for classical sets is what sometimes causes the price drops. Low stock + interest from consumers could trigger part of the algorithm.

9. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

I keep checking this thread shortly after one of the good deals on Amazon AU ends...

On the other hand, I did just order the Leonard Bernstein Symphony Edition (60 cds) for $120, so looking forward to that arriving to complement the Concertos and Orchestral Works Edition I got for about the same price a few years ago (& am still nowhere near through...).

10. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

That Bernstein Symphony Edition is still $129 AUD from Amazon UK...

I'm going to wait, I've already gotten too much recently. Plus it could always drop in price again.

croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  11. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Yeah, that’s where I got it from. My first mega-box in a while (which is not to say I don’t have heaps from previous purchases that I haven’t played yet...).

TonyACT likes this.
  12. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Ah, the unplayed mega-box - a topic that almost deserves its own thread :D

Robur, albelTW, TonyACT and 1 other person like this.
  13. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Well, let me try and temp some of you into adding another unplayed mega box to your collection :laugh:

Warner's Beethoven box set is less than 1€/CD on Amazon Italy, 74,90€ for 80 CDs. Here if you're interested.

I swear I'm not hired to advertise them :D

14. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Wait @albelTW, do you mean to say you're not getting the commission Amazon AU pay me?? ;)

Nice small price for a nice mini box:

[​IMG]

ASIN: B009EJSUU0

15. MichaelCPE

Thanks - I've grabbed the Mozart box :)

TonyACT likes this.
  16. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Another Baroque bargain to be had:

[​IMG]

ASIN: B01JTP9UAC

bluemooze and MichaelCPE like this.
  17. MichaelCPE

Oh dear, I've just bought that one too :)

croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  18. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Leave some for the rest of us ;)

Robur, MichaelCPE and TonyACT like this.
  19. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Looks like I need a finders fee as well as a commission from Amazon :agree:

That's five for @MichaelCPE so far?

sambamaster and Robur like this.
  20. MichaelCPE

I lose track of which were recommended by you and which I found myself. But it could be five!

I've also been buying lots single CD and double CD classical and jazz bargains from the outlet store.

I've only just got Amazon Prime - which means I can buy stuff under $29 (I think it is) without having to hunt for other things to get free shipping. So I'm on a buying frenzy. Moderation will be needed some time soon.

Robur and TonyACT like this.
  21. MichaelCPE

A bargain I've NOT picked up - Brendel - Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas - 9 CD - A$27.12

Amazon Oz

TonyACT likes this.
  22. cws

cws Forum Resident

Here's a bad photo of the new WB Ravel Complete Works box set in rather random but nonetheless august company. I ordered it from Bull Moose. Once released, the set arrived very promptly and was well packaged. I would order from them again.

[​IMG]

J Luc, nigels, Four Bs and 9 others like this.
  23. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

Wait, only 15 duplicate CDs across all of your collection? That's a very impressive feat!

I think I have more than 15 duplicate CDs just with the Living Stereo boxes and Sony's conductor series alone.

I'm debating. I have this, erm, legendary Bach box, AND it's Amazon Italy, but I might bite at that price. ;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    TonyACT likes this.
  24. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

In Soviet Russia, Legendary Recordings find you.

25. MichaelCPE

Masters of the German Baroque - 31 CD - Ricercar

is on Amazon Australia for only A$81.88 (sold by Amazon UK with free shipping for PRIME).

I've ordered my copy.