Strange reasons why shows were canceled.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

It is syndicated.
    So it is up to the whims of your local stations as to what channel and what time it airs.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  2. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I was never a fan of country music or the whole "hillbilly" thing, but my Dad & Mom watched those early seasons of Hee Haw and I found much to like about it. The skits were funny and often clever, and the show made me appreciate country music (at least some of it) much more.

3. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

There are various books that say they knew what the demographics were, that this is a myth like Roddenberry saying NBC didn’t want a woman as second in command (they liked the idea; they didn’t think Roddenberry’s mistress was talented enough to be in an important role). They got hurt by a bad Friday night time slot, lower budgets when Paramount bought it from Desilu, Gene Coon leaving, Roddenberry less interested and Fred Freiberger not being very good. Sci Fi just wasn’t a strong enough to draw in millions of rans like westerns had been, cops and detective shows, sitcoms

There are some sources saying “Hazel” was cancelled after its fifth year because star Shirley Booth wasn’t in very good health although she did live another quarter-century. If there had been a 6th season would Mr B and Missy still be in Baghdad, leaving Sport with Steve and Barbara (and would she have given them nicknames)?

Scott57, Scott222C and mBen989 like this.
  4. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Did you check out Ken Burns' "Country Music"? Great series.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  5. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I will check it out. I try to watch all Ken Burns' documentaries.

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  6. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I’ve read that, too. But I don’t buy it. The ratings had been sliding for a couple of years. During it’s final season it aired on CBS on Monday nights, following the top 10 Lucy and Andy Griffith shows. Hazel didn’t even make the top 25 with that kind of lead-in.

7. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

"Too Close for Comfort" (later renamed "The Ted Knight Show") still had 10 episodes in the can when Knight died in the summer of 1986. Those ten episodes aired (in first-run syndication) that fall, at which point production ceased.

"Adventures of Superman" was cancelled when star George Reeves died.

On the other hand, "Chico and the Man" continued for another full season after star Freddie Prinze died by suicide. "Eight Simple Rules for Dating my Teenaged Daughter" was retooled and persisted for two more seasons after the death of star John Ritter.

Grand_Ennui, hi_watt and Pete Puma like this.
  8. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

It is Cash-heavy, but it is good. I learned some.

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Yet another reason to go for streaming. :)

11. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Covid

gogators1 likes this.
  12. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I believe Superman had already been cancelled as Reeves was seeking work when he died under odd circumstances.

downer and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Star Trek: TNG was canceled even though the cast was signed for an 8th season because paramount thought if the show was still on tv no one would pay to see the cast in movies.

Also not canceled but was DS9 and Voyager both planned to stop after 7 seasons so that they didn't pass the number of seasons TNG had?

14. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Those three Star Trek series ended production because they had enough episodes to “strip” and there was no reason to deficit-finance any further seasons. They didn’t have a big network behind them to pick up the production costs of later seasons. It’s the same reason why some other successful first-run syndicated series like “Mama’s Family” ended production.

15. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Loved that show, some of the best deadpan one-liners ever.

[​IMG]

16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

one of the cast members of TNG has directly said they were told the show was being taken off air because they were moving the cast to movies. i think it was brent spiner

hi_watt likes this.
  17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Talk about "must see" TV--I remember screaming with laughter and missing gags because of it on first run. But yeah, it had no chance because most viewers don't really "view," let alone get the references and satire.

18. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Jim Nabors ended Gomer Pyle, USMC after five seasons because he decided he'd rather do a variety show. He was nice enough to employ Gomer Pyle regulars Frank Sutton and Ronnie Schell as part of his repertory company. I think the variety show lasted two years.

Carol Burnett had a comedy anthology show on NBC, Carol And Company, for a year and a half. Her and a regular cast doing a full half hour skit, different characters and situations, each week. Carol ended that show because she said she felt "more comfortable" at CBS. She started a new regular variety show at CBS, which was quickly cancelled.

rockerreds and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

No kidding- You'd think that if a kid is starting to develop a love for reading (or age dependent, wanting to read) that a show like "Reading Rainbow" would make them want to increase their reading skills so they could read more advanced books.

hi_watt likes this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

It looks like the entire "The Doctors" show is being revamped. As I mentioned now, it's going to be hosted by an all new doctor, Dr. Ian Smith, so no more panel of doctors.

I would imagine that there'll be guest doctors for story segments, at least I'd hope so, because I can't see on doctor doing it all by himself.

21. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I caught the advertisement during the last episode of The Doctors last week that showed what you described about one doctor running things but I wasn't paying much attention because I thought it was a one off special episode for the beginning of the new season which now is not going to show on my Fox affiliate.

And to make matters even worse due to this pandemic (I'm assuming) my local NBC affiliate is showing hours long sports programs like Golf tournaments that bumps Dr. Oz new season episodes so that it now shows in low rez and squashed "tall" rectangle aspect ratio on AntennaTV which is part of my Basic Limited Spectrum cable TV package.

What is with all the rearranging of programming that didn't need fixing? What the hell is going on with TV programming all of a sudden?!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  22. Grand_Ennui

Luckily, pretty much everything I watch has been kept in the place's they've been airing for awhile now, but I know of what you speak.

I try to set the DVR as far out as possible, and there have been times I thought I was going to be DVRing something, only to find it wasn't recorded at all, due to it being dropped from the schedule at the last minute. (Like I said, I set it out as far as possible, not the day/night before the programs air, so there have been scheduling changes I didn't know about until the show I was planning to watch isn't there.)

23. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Star Trek barely made it to a third season. A letter-writing campaign saved the series from being cancelled.

Mighty Orbots - Per Wikipedia it was cancelled (quote) "mostly due a lawsuit between the show's creators and toymaker Tonka."

24. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Carol & I had the same voice coach.

25. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Don't want to brag, but I saw her at a Gelson's once :nyah:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.