Let It Be 50th Anniversary (pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GlassPepper, May 11, 2020.

1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Yeah, this is the only time that they have officially announced the restoration project and brought in a high-profile Hollywood name to helm it. The rights have been sold to Disney and so on...

So the ship has now sailed from Apple’s vault and if not for the pandemic, we would’ve had it by now.

2. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

They have got a year to Photoshop the cover. It isn't a big job to amend that. Mind you, time runs at very odd speeds in the Let It Be universe. I think it must have been filmed and recorded very close to the event horizon of a black hole. That would probably explain an awful lot. Maybe even the disappearing biscuits!

jmxw, Geordiepete and Kim Olesen like this.
  3. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Not to mention they definitively stated the original would be coming out this time in an official press release!

BeatleJWOL and albabe like this.
  4. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

And so many people still don’t know that :angel:

BeatleJWOL, Lewisboogie and joeislive like this.
  5. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

But do we really need a new box? There's already a box set (1970), a remix of the album (LIBN), a re-release of the film (VHS and Laserdisk), and even single versions (2009), a Giles Martin remix (1+) and studio sessions (Anthology/LIBN), so we've already got all we need for a 50th anniversary-ish set!

Just kidding of course I want is so badly

6. albabe

albabe Forum Resident

In the 80's, wasn't there a Foreign DVD release? Or maybe that was a boot that claimed it was Foreign. It may have been a port over from the LD by a disreputable foreign company..

I never heard that the Film in its entirety was restored for the Anthology project, but that would make sense if they wanted to "Cash-in." And what we can see in the Anthology, looks pretty good.

I never heard it was planned as a parallel release with "Naked," either, but that would also make some sense.

I'm not sure who you are "trying to not offend..." I certainly never said it wouldn't come out... I try not to make silly statements like that.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No official DVD has ever been released. Only video (VHS and Betamax) and Laserdisc (and something called "Capacitance Electronic Disc System") from the early 1980s. Never reissued after that.

See:
    The Beatles Let It Be

Wingsfan2012, J Alesait and albabe like this.
  8. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

The Peter Jackson movie is now at the mercy of the all powerful Disney Corporation. They will do with it whatever their financiers tell them will make the most money. They're not worried about record collectors.

sbeaupre likes this.
  9. Arnold Grove

[​IMG] ;)

10. Arnold Grove

11. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Capacitance electronic disc ------needlevision.:winkgrin:

Leviethan and sgtpppr84 like this.
  12. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

13. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I also prefer the album version of Let It Be, including the loud toms on the last verse! To my ears, they work effectively to break up and maintain interest in what is a fairly repetitive song.

andrewskyDE, J Alesait and 2141 like this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I was wondering why the delay was set to exactly one full year and not just a few months... like making it just a half year ahead instead...

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It looks fantastic! I want it now!!

Wingsfan2012 and Who Cares like this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I still believe the original book will be part of the Let It Be deluxe box set.

DeeThomaz, marklamb and ronbow like this.
  17. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

IMO, one of George's best solos of his entire life. Never understood why the other solo was featured in the single version...

18. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

It's ironic that the Beatles were signed out of existence by this guy at Disney World in 1974.

[​IMG]

19. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

The plodding single-version solo seems to reflect George’s fascination with the Band, but it actually complements the more fiery album lead recorded a year later. The two work so well together that it makes me wonder if either Sir George or George H had contemplated using both at some point. I am hoping we get a mix with the two solos.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  20. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

You had me there for a minute. I'm sure this will be a big event in Beatle-world especially given the tie-in with the movie. I'll wait until it is released to make a decision but this might be the first SDE I pass on.

LIB never clicked with me as an enjoyable album experience. It has some good songs but George Martin's absence is apparent to me. I've slogged through the Thirty Days set and I don't have a lot of high hopes for the outtakes CDs.

I may just chill out and see what you folks think first.

A Local Bloke and ronbow like this.
  21. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'd say they clash more than complement.

22. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

The answer is yes - George's idea was to use both solos - the 69 overdub with the leslie sound and the 70 overdub with the stinging sound - mixed together.

Can't find the exact reference, but this is sourced from Lewishon via Wikipedia:

It was during this same session [4 January 1970] that Harrison recorded the second overdubbed guitar solo. The intention at one point was to have the two overdub solos playing together. This idea was dropped for the final mix of the single, and only the 30 April [1969] solo was used​

Cheers,
    Paul

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  23. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

The album has been removed completely from Spotify, basically a confirmation that it was a legit copyright protection release by The Beatles/Universal and we can expect some or all of them on the upcoming box set.

24. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Probably they think the situation in theatres won’t get back to normality in a shorter period of time.
    Many movies have been postponed 3 months, only to be delayed again etc.. see James Bond, for instance.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  25. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Could be, even if it would IMO be a bit redundant, at this point.