SH Spotlight If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 14, 2006.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I have personally heard otherwise. Again, even a connector can make a sonic difference. The better the wire and connector, the less it will intrude, though.

2. Like someone said above, wire length matters. An inch or two will not have an impact unless the gauge is thinner than a hair.

lukpac likes this.
  3. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

There must be a lot of people who must not be hearing the difference in sonic qualities brought on by a mono switch box. Many, many have been sold and I still can't think of one review that spoke of ANY sonic difference(other than positive results)when the switch box was added. I'm not saying it isn't conceivable, I am saying the possible difference is so minute as most human hearing would find it not perceivable. I am speaking of the mono switch box being sold on this forum for years, which is universally praised. I doubt it would keep that kind of reputation if it altered sound quality in any negative fashion. Either way, this is kind of silly and my last post about a couple inches of wire and RCA connectors causing problems, as I don't think it does in this scenario.

4. AnalogJ

Do you think the quality of the connector can make a difference in sound by themselves?

5. We were talking about conductors, not connectors. I specifically asked you if you were referring to conductors for clarification. Connections are a whole different thing.

6. AnalogJ

There are many here who aren't as discerning. Some are more than others. The difference in focus between listening to an mid-'60s mono with a mono cartridge or y-connector vs. a stereo cartridge can be dramatic, and that will pull many in. The loss of fidelity, particularly if you're not listening and/or have a budget system, is going to be more subtle. But the 3" y-connector certainly is quite audible in my system, both with how it helps, as well as what it takes away.

Heck, Clark Johnsen (RIP) once demonstrated that a simple sheet of impregnated paper laid upon an amp can alter the sound. It was quite astonishing to hear and see it in person.

7. AnalogJ

But a connector is yet another part of the system for which the signal flows through. Are you acknowledging that the connector can make a sonic difference (for better or worse)? I betcha that there are many here who would even be skeptical of that.

8. Of course, you need a good connection. Who would argue about that? But, once again, you seem to be veering away from the conductor discussion. So, I'm not really sure what your original point was.

9. AnalogJ

Why wouldn't the conductor also make a difference? Is it just the length of it? If so, how long do you think a wire has to be to have a sonic impact?

10. Ohm's law.

11. AnalogJ

Ohm's Law:
    [​IMG]

This doesn't prove anything. We know that different wires sound different, so I don't think that fact is explained by the above equation.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes. Two stereo to mono Y RCA connectors connected to one of the stereo outputs and the stereo inputs of your preamp.

Pretty much like everything else except you’re adding a selector box...;)

13. Done.

14. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

For 10GBP, you can add a mono switch to any Graham Slee phono pre. If you're in the market for a phono preamp anyway....

15. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Who sells that?

16. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Grado has a .7 mil spherical stylus for DJ (DJ100/200) that will work in the mono prestige carts, as confirmed to me by Grado. Use the standard elliptical stylus for 60's records and another cart with the DJ stylus for 50's records (you can use the elliptical stylus that came with the 2nd mono cart as a back-up stylus).

17. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Steve, I have a sweet old Scott 299-C tube amp. I believe it's 1962 or '63 vintage. Sounds fantastic, love this amp! This is what I use to play vinyl. The amp has a stereo to mono selector switch. I assume this switch is summing the 2 channels in the same way you're recommending here. Is that the case, or would it still be advantageous to slip a Y cord in there and sum the stereo that way?

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

It is summing the channels, yes. Play the leadout groove in stereo, then in mono. Hear how the noise decreases by a lot? Magic.

krisjay likes this.
  19. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  20. AnalogJ

The mono button does the same job. No need for a y-connector.

marcb and 2141 like this.
  21. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yes, just tried it. Excellent, big difference! This is how I usually run mono, but never did A/B comparison on lead out groove. More good stuff! Thanks, Steve! :winkgrin:

22. Steve Hoffman

Glad to help.

AnalogJ and 2141 like this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Actually, physics!

(For those that don't already know, the actual music is cut laterally, which ends up in phase, while much of the vinyl noise has a vertical component, which ends up out of phase. When you sum to mono that out of phase information - noise - is reduced.)

polchik and 2141 like this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Magic.

33na3rd, polchik and 2141 like this.
  25. AnalogJ

At $35, it's worth a try for many.

However, again, it's putting another contraption in the way.

It's also another set of cables. For me, I have Tara Labs "The One" between my phono stage and my integrated (which is where this box should be placed, NOT between the tonearm and phono stage). To get another pair of The One ICs, in order to maintain the quality, would be to get the shortest pair they make, a .6m pair (RCAs on both ends). Retail price? $2,695.50 (I got my pair used a long while back, but they were still about $1000, and BOY, were they superior sounding to ANYTHING I had ever heard in my system! - much more open, quicker, with greater inner detail, and more musical. And I tried about eight different makes and models of ICs, including a $4700 retail pair of ICs made with palladium. The latter were great, but out of my budget.). The point is, it's not merely another $35 for anyone with a better system.

I can get a helluva dedicated mono cartridge for half the retail price of the additional set of cables. Putting a cheap pair of ICs and a mono/stereo switch box between the The One ICs? Your system is only as good as its weakest link. The switch, along with cheap cables, is not likely to be sonically invisible. It wouldn't likely be in my system, anyway.

qwerty likes this.