Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

I've just seen your message, I was quite busy, but I co-run an important fanclub and we're going to try to get some info, as we managed to be the first to announce 3 gigs in France this year before anyone else. If the mysterious person read this, he can contact me, everything that will said will remained between me and him ;)

Few years back a member of here trolled us with a fake name that he put himself on Wikipedia, "In The Universe and Beyond ", I know it's not something like that here :)

forthlin, Calico and mrjinks like this.
  2. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I'm more curious as to why @MPLRecords changed his avatar all of a sudden to Jimmy Stewart.

New album artwork leaked! Unfortunately, it's a cassette release only.

[​IMG]

theMess, Sean, jmxw and 13 others like this.
  3. Victor46542

McCartney III, nice joke :p But could the title, if he has done the album by his own, playing all the instrument could be a McCartney III :p

4. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

So... @MPLRecords changes his photo to Jimmy Stewart.... he was in the movie 'Its a Wonderful Life' .... Paul is doing the music for the new musical....

theMess, Sean, ZippyPippy and 5 others like this.
  5. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

:laugh:
    Very simple, actually. I had The Far Country on again and just thought that great shot of Anthony Mann lighting Jimmy in blue and black would be a perfect icon. In three months or so I'll probably end up changing it to Elwood Dowd smiling at his own portrait. :winkgrin:

Beatlebug and omikron like this.
  6. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

whoa, I have not been following this thread closely at all (thanks, Let it Be, P.O.B & A.T.M.P. threads!) I thought I heard rumblings of a new album, but it looks like there is some legitimacy to these rumors? So exciting if true, Paul, always the gift that keeps giving!

mrjinks likes this.
  7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I was told mid-October is likely for official announcement. Don’t have any info to confirm it, but I’d hope a lead track would be released then, too!

8. anthony_beat

anthony_beat Forum Resident

Great hints! :shh: Keep my fingers crossed!:ignore:

mrjinks likes this.
  9. Victor46542

New was teased few days before on Twitter as you can see here:

[​IMG]

10. Victor46542

and Egypt Station on 10th June 2018, here is the copy of the Instagram and announced 9 or 10 days after

[​IMG]

11. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

That makes more sense anyway. It gives enough time for Yoko and John's estate to do huge publicity blasts for Gimme Some Truth. After that's died down a bit, the runway's clear.

anthony_beat likes this.
  12. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Man, that was a great marketing campaign to get (at least us anyways) all fired up.

Given the immediacy of this supposed new album, I wonder if he's going to go really under the radar on this one.

Who Cares likes this.
  13. Victor46542

Mr Moonlight ? :p

supermd and omikron like this.
  14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Kind of hoping for a stripped down affair as well.

15. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

The promotion or lack of , during the pandemic might actually be appealing to Paul. No having to do the usual talk show circuit, unless he wants to pop in via zoom. Reading the Flaming Pie book, one of his big things with that album was a relaxed approach to the promotion, now he’s practically forced to go that route. Although I’m sure he’d rather be able to play gigs (which would undoubtedly help sales/chart positions) He can just drop an album at midnight one day on all the streaming platforms and have a physical release a week or so later if he really wants the whole wham bam approach. Can’t wait for whatever Macca Magic winds up happening!

omikron likes this.
  16. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Macca 3 would be amazing!
    Let's face it he can't keep us waiting 4/5 years a time anymore for new music.

theMess, augustboy, C_Jepson and 4 others like this.
  17. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Taylor Swift did it this year. She dropped an unexpected stripped down album and announced it the day before available on digital outlets. Physical copies were available some time later

theMess, Sean, Elliottmarx and 2 others like this.
  18. Victor46542

Is there a specific thread here about the supposed new album ?

19. mrjinks

I'll chime in with a thought here, but - going forward - I'll try to be crystal clear when I'm GUESSING about something related to this or not. Example: a few days ago, I made a guess that we might hear something about the album after JL's bday/GST release. At the time I had no idea if Paul's album would be coming this year (though I suspected it would). Anyway, yesterday when a couple people shared release date info they also mentioned this would be announced in mid-October, and now my earlier guess looks like it was accurate.

With that info, I'm GUESSING again that this will actually be a relatively conventional release, rather than a midnight drop. Why? Simple. If they're really going to announce this in October, but release it in December, how can there be "surprise" in that? I have no knowledge about release variations, but we can all hope Carrera will chime in at some point with format details, as I would think they have time to get physical media out. Again, if they wanted to do a midnight, non-physical drop, I'd think they could do that at any point. Make sense?

Oh, and by saying it will be a "conventional release", I'm just meaning that I'd suspect we'll see the usual CD/LP formats. I fully expect MPL's marketing team to come up with some clever roll-out for the album. They've done that well the last couple times, as @Victor46542 reminded us up above.

One last thing, since it seems to still be screwing up people: the "Moon" hint has NOTHING to do with the album! It was a joke, folks! A member said they'd be "over the moon" if we were getting a new Paul album in December, so I quickly posted a moon under their post, making them … "over the moon". Hilarious, right? Ok, maybe not, but that's all that post meant. I thought it was relatively clear, but sorry if it sent some of you down a rabbit hole!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Durango88, theMess, Sean and 16 others like this.
  20. mrjinks

Not yet. I didn't want to start a thread when I first heard about this a couple weeks ago, because I wanted to wait until it got confirmed. The confirmation(s) happened yesterday, but it's been kind of fun having a low key discussion about it here, in this thread that only the die-hards hang out in!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    theMess, Sean, supermd and 8 others like this.
  21. Victor46542

There was one back few years ago !

McCartney III in 2020?

theMess, Sean, Tord and 2 others like this.
  22. mrjinks

So true! And that one has a fair number of negative comments from people who just wanted to trash the idea. That’s one great benefit of creating this thread: those people typically don’t visit here!

theMess, supermd, coco77 and 6 others like this.
  23. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Surprise midnight drops are loads of fun, but I do not see that benefiting an older artist, whose fan base is likely not spending as much time on social media. I'd expect conventional promotion through and through.

Sean and omikron like this.
  24. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Working on it, as "new music" is handled it by a different team, like Egypt Station, I was the last one to find out. So far the only upcoming announcement on my side is Harrison's but since they know I'm a Macca fan mostly, I'm waiting for some info to arrive sooner or later. Thank you for your hints to make this also entertaining. I suggest to NOT create a new thread yet to avoid "eyes and ears" from outside sources, they are always checking facebook news and posts and conversations, leaks, forums, etc.

25. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Maybe, just a guess, it could be a surprise announcement and full drop digitally and on streaming the same day in mid-October, with pre-orders up for the deluxe CD and Vinyl editions (maybe with bonus cuts?) that arrive in December...Paul hasn't done that method before. Maybe his team tries it...Maybe I'm just wishful thinking haha.

omikron likes this.