David Bowie - I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PageLesPaul, Feb 20, 2020.

1. I love this so much!
    i wish they'd released Nassau 76 in raw form like this rather than trying to "fix" it

Dennis is wonderful
    Cracked actor (which i love) was almost like a pick up band but this is a real band and it sounds like it
    they're gelling beautifully , love the funky coda on sorrow

2. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The only thing that changed between "Cracked Actor" and "I'm Only Dancing" was the rhythm section, although they had many more gigs under their belt by the time of this Detroit show. Still, I think Dennis was a great addition for this particular band (although Greg Errico is no slouch having played with Sly and The Family Stone for so long). I just think "Dancing" is near the end of the tour and the tapes happened to catch them on a good night. They all sound like they are having fun. It's possible that the band could've been more self conscious during "Cracked Actor" knowing they were being filmed? Who knows. There are lots of reasons why a show can vary from one performance to the next.

3. Moon_Monkey

Moon_Monkey Active Member

The best one I've found is the Joe Maloney 15th Nov bootleg. Search on Bowie Station for 1974-11-15 - Music Hall - Boston - Massachusetts - USA - Joe Maloney Master (New 2018 Transfer) Transferred and Presented By Krw co.

There's some feedback and there's a horrible wrong saxophone note early on but quality-wise this is easily the best version I've ever found.

4. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I found this one definitely a worth addition to the Bowie live album cannon. The sound was way better than I expected and the band is very on form. Bowie sounds pretty identical to how he did on the Dick Cavett show, very hoarse, but it doesn't take anything away from the performance whatsoever, imo.

5. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I was thinking about that other day - to my ears he doesn't sound quite as hoarse as the Dick Cavett show.

As you say, it doesn't take anything away from the performance anyway.

6. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

I think one of the interesting things with Bowie’s voice being as hoarse as it is on this is that it really highlights the performative aspects of his vocals and his delivery. I love the energy on this release and as others have said the sound quality is far above what I’d feared - I just wish the piano was in tune.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Dark Horse 77, Bink, fishcane and 2 others like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I finally played this from beginning to end last night, having only played disc one before then.

Just magnificent. I don't mind us getting loads of Bowie live albums if they're as good as Santa Monica 72, Nassau '76 and this.

I need to get Cracked Actor and Welcome To The Blackout. I've never owned David Live either and only have the original double LP of Stage, so there's a fair bit of Bowie live for me to catch up on and that's just the 70s.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good user name!

Joker to the thief likes this.
  9. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

I couldn't get past Side 1 of "I'm Only Dancing", the sound quality sucks.
    I had much more fun listening to "ChangesNowBowie".

croquetlawns likes this.
  10. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

This is a very marginal recording of a terrific performance. Not worth the cost for the vinyl but that’s just me.

11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I agree with this assessment, it demonstrates the energy level of someone who is giving everything he has over to the performance. It doesn’t detract one bit. The raw feel of his voice adds to the funk. This is a fantastic performance

12. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

You are missing out. I’ve heard a lot worse.

13. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

I'm Only dancing is just a tease for upcoming releases like a boxset with The Complete Young Americans Sessions with many Jam Sessions and Footstompin Studio outtakes

Glenn coates likes this.
  14. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

They're all worth your time.

I caved and grabbed a 2xLP Soul Tour off Discogs. Should have it next Monday or Tuesday.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It deserves the praise it's getting. I went for CD as I can't really afford the vinyl as well as Blackout and Cracked Actor being out of print on vinyl too. They're quite cheap on CD so I'll be getting those.

16. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

That has been your wet dream since you joined here. No signs of it, despite all your false predictions.

17. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I have a sealed vinyl Blackout I could get rid of, but shipping to the UK is insane, unless you're buying a bunch of things at once.

The CDs sound good anyway. The same holds true for Cracked Actor.

fishyboots, zither and Man at C&A like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

To be honest I prefer live albums on CD anyway. I can imagine the triple vinyl LPs looking great though. As long as there isn't a vinyl repress it's worth hanging onto it. They're going to be incredibly scarce in a few years.

misteranderson likes this.
  19. nick jones

20. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I'm just happy with the rise of Young Americans and related material in the Bowie canon. Even with the flawed track list, that album and the whole brief soul turn has always been my vote for most underrated Bowie. Spinning this new release over and over with such pleasure

21. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

I hope you’re right I’ve been hoping to hear all those sessions for a long time.

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'd like to hear if Bowie recorded any more with Lulu a bit earlier.

croquetlawns likes this.
  23. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

He originally had Can You Hear Me for her.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't know that. I'd love to hear it if it was recorded. I think Dodo was recorded with Lulu.

25. nick jones

Dodo is on YouTube and Can you hear me with Bowie's estate