'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

I've spent the last five minutes trying to think of a retort to that and I can't think of one.

You Melbourne guys are alright... even if you do call a chicken parmi a 'parma'.

blutiga, Mugrug12, trd and 2 others like this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

[​IMG]

3. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

Our beaches are way better though.

4. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

In the spirit of peace, I will concede - there is little to do in Melbourne after 9pm currently.
    Other than being arrested.

5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

dear god i hope they don't repress the 75th series.

Briskit likes this.
  6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The pressings outside the US were much better, done by Optimal.

We shall see, I hope they are new masters by KG.

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The actual curation of titles for the 75th series was excellent and on point - BN clearly has learned a lot since then about the jazz vinyl reissue market (LOL), so I’d imagine future reissue series done in house will continue to show quality improvements as evident in the BN80 and TP series.

8. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

I went through two badly warped copies of All In My Mind before receiving a playable one ...

9. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

Wayne Shorter Etcetera is in stock on Elusive Disc. Don't pay the flippers. Ordered, along with sleeves.

Barnyard Symphony and Joti Cover like this.
  10. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Played that twice today, such a great session; one of the very best of the series. They sure did start with a high bar!

11. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I'm curious if for the second pressing of Chet Baker they are going to label it "mono" on the spine unlike the first pressing which says stereo. A little tidbit to look out for.

Swann36 likes this.
  12. ThirtyThree1/3

That is awesome and a great vote of confidence for its fated arrival. They sure did start with a high bar. I guess they wanted to get our attention. Well, Blue Note we're listening. Literally and figuratively.

Very tempted a few times along the way to pick it up. I held off once Joe Harley said none of these are out of print, but only out of stock.

MilesTrane likes this.
  13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Etcetera topped the poll of most popular/favourite Tone Poet releases I posted earlier this year/end of last year. It’s in mine and most people’s Top 5. A great release, which you’ll love :righton:

14. ThirtyThree1/3

Wow, I didn't know about the poll and how high it ranked. Now I am really looking forward to it. I started paying attention to composers and couldn't believe how prolific Mr. Shorter's compositions are on his albums and others. Thank you guys for the solid opinions.

trd likes this.
  15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yes, Shorter is a marvel. Truly one of the greats. Here’s a link to the poll—

Blue Note's Tone Poet Series: Poll

16. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Almost time for another one of those polls Steve...:cheers:

17. I received my copy of The Kicker by Bobbie Hutcherson a couple of weeks ago. I've listened to it several times since then. Once again, I'm impressed with the Tone Poet series. The music on this is sweet and Joe Henderson is in fine form. Duke Pearson is great on the piano, and, once again, Grant Green leads his licks to the proceedings. I have no idea why this was not released until 1980.

18. Yeah the Kicker is fantastic

trd likes this.
  19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus and Max Roach record Money Jungle on this day at Sound Makers Studios in New York City, September 17, 1962.

This is the recent Tone Poet release . . .

[​IMG]
    1962/2020 Blue Note ‎– B0031461-01, United Artists Jazz‎–UAJS 15017
    Blue Note Tone Poet Series – KPG&JH@CA

trd, mktracy, Twinsfan007 and 7 others like this.
  20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The Kicker wasn’t released until 1999.

trd and Barnyard Symphony like this.
  21. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I pretty much concur with the results as they stand

trd and SJR like this.
  22. lbloom

lbloom Well-Known Member

Hi all! Anyone else’s order from Target of Stanley Turrentine’s That Where It’s At still say preparing for shipping after two weeks now? I’m starting to wonder what’s going on with this, especially since I could have it tomorrow from Amazon. Tempted to just order it from Amazon! Excited about that one. :)

23. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Yep, mine. Still showing Sept. 3rd for a ship date. It's lousy that you can't cancel, considering how freely they cancel pre-orders. It won't even let me report a problem with the order.

lbloom likes this.
  24. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

You could try canceling the order through your credit card company or bank. Does Target have a customer service phone number?

lbloom likes this.
  25. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Target's online customer service is so bad. I had to jump through hoops to get them to cancel my order, then they never refunded me....then COVID happened and it was impossible to contact them through any channels for months.

Vic Trola and lbloom like this.