Three's Company (1977 to 1984)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident

Yeah, you really can’t judge the show, or any show really, on its first few episodes.

2. gowokegobroke

gowokegobroke Well-Known Member

I laughed my you know what off when watching the episode where Jack and Mr Furley both are barking like dogs to each other .

Jack Lord and 905 like this.
  3. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

thought about buying the series on dvd

uhhh 450.00 on amazon

what the heck

OldSoul likes this.
  4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

My parents were huge Dallas fans back in the day. It shows how far TV dramas have come, as that show would be a lower tier drama nowadays, yet was considered one of the best back then.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They had a first-class crew on Dallas and spent a ton of money on it. In that respect, it was the polar opposite of Three's Company, which was cheap and crappy by comparison. You can make a good argument that the film shows -- even film sitcoms like Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart -- looked a lot better than videotape shows like All in the Family and Three's Company.

Dan C likes this.
  6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I had no idea the series was out of print, until someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. I have the first 4 seasons, which is probably enough (I do remember loving Cindy, as a kid, though, so I've always thought about getting season 5), but I'm kicking myself, because someone was selling the boxset on Facebook Marketplace for $10 or $20 not long ago.

8. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Dallas and Knots Landing, in their heyday, were well-plotted, well-produced serials. They were never prestige dramas or anything, but they were entertaining for what they were. And Larry Hagman was a very talented, versatile actor. He was nominated for an Emmy a couple of times, but never won, which is a bit of a shame.

And I agree, those videotaped sitcoms of the 70s look awful now. At least the old filmed shows can be cleaned up and seen in HD. The blu-rays of I Love Lucy are pretty stunning in terms of how good a 70-year-old show can look. But the videotaped shows are stuck in relatively low-resolution.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    MikeInFla, Jrr and Drifter like this.
  9. jason88cubs

glad you survived

jamesc, Bertly, George P and 3 others like this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Say wha?! I remember seeing them around town for $10-20 per season and that was sealed.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You wouldn't have to try too hard to convince anyone of that. They look like VHS dubs even at their best. lol

But I can deal with that much better than I can deal with them cropping and blowing up old shows to fit to wide screen when they remaster a show for HD, though I've just accepted that this is how it will be from now on. :)

jamesc likes this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I don't remember how much I paid at Walmart for the complete series, but I think it was in the $30/$35 range.

13. jason88cubs

well now i gotta wait.....

14. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

“What part of ‘there’s always money in the banana stand’ do you not understand???”

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Three’s Company will be coming to IFC starting on November 27th.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Gotta agree. Yes, there's no accounting for taste, but this show just seemed to always revolve around the same theme: there's some miscommunication in which one character doesn't that xxxxxx, but another character does, and then... hilarity ensues or some such.

r2rcollector and Vidiot like this.
  17. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

That was the one star I had to see the last time I was in Hollywood.

That's very cool of Cuoco. 8 Simple Rules wasn't the greatest show but I watched it because of Ritter. The episode with Don Knotts was aweseome!

I really enjoyed Three's Company when it first aired but I was ten when it started so that has something to do with it. I still enjoy it and kept putting off buying the DVD set. When I finally got around to buying it, it was out of print and goes for crazy prices now. Hopefully, they'll press up some more at some point.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

It's based on classic French farce from the 1800's- but seriously, compared to a lot of comedies today Three's Company looks smart. That is a sad state of affairs.

19. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

This is one of those shows that I feel like I should enjoy more. Unfortunately I don't. I can't find any fault with the show. I just never liked it.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Some of you guys need to lighten up. It's just a TV show. It examines the dynamics of how the two sexes interact, and looks at sexism and bigotry against gays in the late 70s. The setting is in the so-called liberal bastion that is Los Angeles, CA, was probably intentional to further expose that myth.

In a way, the writers of Three's Company did the same thing that Norman Lear did with his shows All In The Family, Maude, and The Jeffersons, expose topical issues in a humorous way that fit the times.

While Three's Company avoided race and politics, it tackled:
    hyper and toxic masculinity
    gender equality
    religion
    conservatism
    marital infidelity
    sexual frustration
    gender bias
    joblessness
    stereotypes
    job discrimination
    friendship
    landlord abuses

...and many more I can't think of at the moment.

In my opinion, if you wat TV that isn't topical to some degree, don't watch TV!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Scowl, OldSoul and Stuart S like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, yep, yep. Many shows rely on the gimmick of one character overhearing another character saying something that sounds incriminating (but isn't), completely misunderstands, and the entire show is a series of events that leads to everybody eventually understanding "no, Uncle Charlie isn't dying" or "no, dad didn't lose his job" or "no, Miss X is not really pregnant." It's very gimmicky.

It did that in a way that was stupid and pandering to the point of being insulting. The Lear shows generally didn't go that far, but Good Times came pretty close; both John Amos and Esther Rolle quit the show over disputes over how lame and stereotypical the scripts had become over time.

I can't get 10 minutes into an episode of Three's Company without saying, "my god, this is so bad." I have seen a few episodes (forced to by friends, or it was in the background while we were doing other things), but it's not my idea of a good show. Zero Emmy Awards for writing, direction, or show, but John Ritter (who I've often said was a good actor) did win the show's only Emmy. To me, if you go back and look at the Writers Guild Awards or the Emmy Award winners, you'll generally find the bulk of what I'd consider to be good shows that stood the test of time. Three's Company ain't that.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Dan C, r2rcollector and Steve Litos like this.
  22. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

and the rent was too damn high

23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Location location location

24. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I won't oogle it either!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

A strange comment to make on a board like this... Every topic posted on all the forums here can easily solicit a "lighten up" response. If that's the response, why discuss anything on this board as all the topics are trivial?

This board thrives on pages and pages of passionate responses to trivial topics. That's why we are here. ;)

"Some of you guys need to lighten up. It's just another Beatles reissue."
    "Some of you guys need to lighten up. It's just a brickwalled remix."
    "Some of you guys need to lighten up. It's just another RSD list."

MikaelaArsenault, Grant and Stuart S like this.