Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

ummm... I hate to burst your bubble, but exactly what was Paul McCartney being imprisoned by in 1979-1980 that he was happy to be free of? Wings? They didn't really break up until 1981. In fact, they played the live [and hit in the USA] version of one of the McCartney II songs quite famously... And Denny Laine was at some of the early sessions for the next album [and co-wrote a track that appeared on a b-side from said LP]... And, let's face it, Paul was pretty much in control of Wings trajectory.

And I think he should skip McCartney III. What a drab and uncreative name. We've already had McCartney and McCartney II [which was a surprise at the time because ... who would have thought he would do it again?] If there's going to be another McCartney I/II style album, he should just call it McCartney VIII or something off the wall like that. [No MJ jokes please!! Although I would be ok with perhaps a "McCartney VIII Tofu Burger" or somesuch...]

But, yeah, we should enjoy the new music whatever its motivating factors are..

2. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

McCartney was literally in prison in 1980. I'm pretty sure that is what this post is referring to. Or that's how I read it.

Calling it McCartney III is the exact type of thing Capitol would love. Tons of built in PR.

3. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, if that's the reference, then the timeline is off.

McCartney II was recorded in 1979 [June/July] and Coming Up was performed live in Dec, 1979 [and recorded and later released in 1980 as I noted above...]

He was arrested in January 1980, a full six months after recording that album... :cop:

4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

True, but Mc2 was recorded in ‘79, so he does have a point!

theMess, Elliottmarx and jmxw like this.
  5. Max Wilbury

Max Wilbury Berlin Beetle

So mid-October is what we're aiming to for an announcement.
    Thank you mrjinks for passing on all those details to us.

We always want something different, well some of us. And if I let my imagination go, because of the lockdown and all, I was imagining, fancying, a really low-key thing. Guitar and piano, drum and bass. That's it.

But for better or worse, the latest production of Paul have been kind of "over produced". Sorry, that might be the wrong word here. His aging voice (I have nothing against it , how could I ??) is most of the times buried in there.
    I said most of the times, maybe we'll have more tunes like Early Days ? Oh again this fantasy in me : having a Macca and Rick Rubin affair (a la Johnny Cash).

6. Max Wilbury

Max Wilbury Berlin Beetle

And thanks to you too, this message sums up perfectly my state of mind. I'm so glad to read it. It's comforting. :wave:

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

That’s a really nice post. Don’t worry about sounding “a little off”, I think we all are(!), but that’s ok! We’re waiting on this 78-year old guy to bring us some sort of joy/peace/comfort during this bizarre time. I do think that’s “a little off”, but that’s what brings us together, even though most of us will never share a room with each other. We all need a little magic right now, and I sure hope we’ll get some before year’s end.

8. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

I always get excited when Beatles-related news suggest new things on the horizon whether they be books, videos, CDs, LPs etc. At the moment and well into next year we have quite a number of things to look forward to that we know of and hoping for (marked with *). That is quite a collection of sorts.

John Lennon - Gimme Some Truth
    Plastic Ono Band (book)
    George Harrison Be Here Now (book)
    Plastic Ono Band box set*
    Double Fantasy anniversary*
    Paul McCartney (new music)*
    Beatles Get Back (book/movie) in 2021
    Beatles Let It Be box set*
    George Harrison All Things Must Pass box set*
    Ringo Starr (new music EP)*
    London Town / Back To The Egg archive collections*

* = Hope of Deliverance

theMess, Sean, Hep Alien and 6 others like this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Did someone say moon boot?

[​IMG]

;)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020

10. Here’s a video of Macca commiserating with one of his recording engineers from The Moon Sessions!

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'd like to second what a couple others have expressed in this thread so far: keeping these new McCartney album news bits in this thread of his biggest fans is so nice. No casual fans - or even non-fans - coming by to spoil the good mood and friendly vibes here. I love it. Y'all are my people.

12. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Not to sound all morbid, but a Macca 3 record would be a fitting finale, not that's going to happen with the upcoming musical soundtrack....
    Good thing about Paul it's rare one album is the same from the other, when he did that (Off the Ground & Pipes) he created lesser results.
    Being selfish I would love another Fireman record too, or something similar

mrjinks likes this.
  13. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

I think he should call it McCartney VI and the then just feign ignorance when people ask him about McCartney III, IV, and V.

14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I agree, try to keep it here for now, low key. Thanks to those who clued us in! New release is always exciting

supermd likes this.
  15. efegarcia

efegarcia Forum Resident

or McCartney IX...and call the album.. "McCartnine"

:hide::hide:

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Or McCartney XXX ...

And the cover should be similar to John & Yoko's Two Virgins album... :wtf:

Polleke likes this.
  17. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

he should do a joint release with Harrison:

McCartknee III and Portrait of a Leg End.

jmxw and supermd like this.
  18. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

Like the Wilburys, with no Volume 2 :p

19. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

;)

[​IMG]

theMess, Sean, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  20. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Love love this Linda McCartney photo! Probably the best of the Anthology/Threetles posed portraits.

But I'm not sure I follow your post. Are you dropping some kind of hint or speculation about the upcoming Paul album in your wording?

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Let’s rock, Macca!

22. bward

bward Senior Member

And in the US, some symmetry: Beatles VI-McCartney VI

23. Thanks, no, just appreciating the great photo and subjects of it who have always transcended the mundane, negativity, and peril of the world to its more inspirational, enlightening and magical side.

A late night impression and hope for illumination.
    A new McCartney album certainly does fit that notion, though.

Any true clues come forth from our master of The Courts, with his own Federeresque elan - Lord Jinks! LOL.

mrjinks and beatleroadie like this.

24. Rockeggiamo, Macca!

25. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I wish, we’ve been teased with Harrison box since 1999